new to orlistat, any tips please?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone. I started orlistat Friday (29/11/13) can anyone give me some tips? I don't think i generally eat alot but I may be a secret eater. I dont eat breakfast but now I've started. So this is my eating now,

Breakfast I have a bowl of special k with semi skimmed milk. Lunch I have chicken breast with a small sweet potato (light butter) and salad with a small dollop of light mayo. Then dinner ive been eating a lot of stews/casserole lately. With lots of veg in it. Tonight im having a beef stew. I dont really eat bread and if I do its wholemeal. And ive swapped white potatoes for sweet potatoes. I really want to do this well anf loose weight. I dont drive so I walk alot or use buses. Im a single working parent so sadly I really don't have the time to be in the gym all the time.

Any help id be really grateful. Also ive not had any side effects. I do sometimes feel bloated and a bit constipated.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi smile I have started today also. so here if you want to chat & swap experiences. x
  • Posted

Hi if you post on the board 'Started Orlistat today and confused' i have put some replies on there that will help you

if you search for it it should come up

• Posted

Hi lovely. I’m new to this and I don’t know how to search for the post you’ve mentioned (started Orlistat today) ?????

• Posted

Ok thanks. Ill have a look. But what im eating is that all ok?

Emily good luck I wish you well. Im 96.4kg. Its 15.3st. My aim is 12st x

• Posted

you to hun. I have about 8 stone to loose. good luck hun x
  • Posted

chelsea1987 your food is fine apart from the butter you can't have butter on these tablets because of the fat content. I personally gave up mayonnaise as it was one of my vices and the lightest mayo doesn't taste of anything personally. Potatoes white or sweet are fine i always eat the white ones all the time also with meat make sure it is lean and doesn't go over the 5g per 100g
  • Posted

Ok thanks for your help. I am a sucker for a bit of mayo. What sort of snacks can I have. I dont like fruit so what about nuts and seeds? X
  • Posted

Nuts are high in fat and i believe so are seeds. For snacks i either have Fruit, Snack A Jacks, Mullerlights or Danio Yogurts (the 0% ones) also WW do frozen puddings which are nice and only 2 or 3 grams of fat per pudding. Sainsburys do a be good to yourself range and a lot of their food is within the rules. Ryvitas with a topping make a good snack
  • Posted

Ok brilliant. Thanks for the help. Im going to weigh myself next week. I will let you know how ive got on x
  • Posted

I think I must be doing something wrong. I feel like ive lost a couple of pounds like maybe three but my nurse said I would have looser stools and ive had nothing. I even had a Chinese for my Christmas outing and took a tablet and nothing happened no loose stools or orange oil. Ive been eating good othet then the Chinese. Ive neen eating lots of stews, chilies and chicken all lean. Only using fry light too. And ive been walking alot! Im really disappointed and im worried my nurse will be too and think I haven't tried when I really have.
  • Posted

I also drink a lot of prune juice which helps me go to the toliet but I feel that's the only reason I go not the orlistat. But I still have a bloated feeling quite often.
  • Posted

Hiya smile i have been taking orlistat for around a month now. I'm not obese but i am slightly overweight so i just need to shift a few pounds to get my BMI within the 'normal' range. I'm 5.4" and weigh 11st.1lb with a BMI of 26.

My starting weight was 11st.5lb so the weight's coming off slowly but surely.

I haven't really had any unbearable side effects, the side effects vary from person to person. One that i have experienced is drowsiness. After or during a meal, i will take my tablet then about an hour later, i will sometimes feel quite sleepy and fall asleep on the sofa, this only happens if i sit down and chill out afterwards but doesn't happen if I'm up and about.

I try and stick to as little fat as possible in my meals because orlistat works by stopping your body absorbing around 25% of the fat you consume and it comes out in your poo. I didn't start experiencing loose stools until about a week into taking them. I think it's because i have always had slow bowel movements. If you're not experiencing loose or oily stools then it could be an indication that you are eating right and not going over the recommended guidelines of fat you should consume per meal smile

I suppose it's all trial and error as peoples metabolisms vary.

• Posted

I also experience slight stomach cramps but they're bearable and soon go after i have been to the loo. I'm just so glad I'm not constipated anymore (which is an added bonus) I'd much rather have loose stools and be able to go to the toilet than not being able to go atall as I've suffered from bad constipation all my life sad

I really hope you all reach your desired weight and good luck to everyone!

• Posted

Hello everyone,

I am also starting Orlistat tomorrow, I am currently obese, I way about just under 18st and want to lose about 6st. I am feeling really nervous about it, as well as confused.

Am I right in saying that I take 3 tablets a day with each meal, but only if they have fat in them?

Also really nervous about loos stools, I am at uni 3 days a week and work the others, I am on my feet quite a bit, and I am quite worried that I may poop myself whilst out. Has anyone else experienced this, or am I over exaggerating? I just want to be sure so I no wether to purchase adult diapers (seems extreme I know) or not.

But I guess the less fat I eat, the less likely I am to need to go to the loo right?

Looking forward to some guidance.

Thank you

Sam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.