New to orlistat, please help!

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Right so this is my first time on something like this so bare with me here :') 

A few months back I went to the doctors as I wasn't well and my doctor ended up sending me for a blood test as considering going my age and symptoms he wanted to rule out  glandular fever, anyway turns out it was just a virus but the results raised some questions so I had to take some more blood tests a month later and got the results a little over a week ago that unfortunately my liver isn't processing the fats like it should be sad (I admit I am over weight at 91kg and unfortunately I love all the wrong types of food) so my doctor has prescribed orlistat to help lose the weight and help my liver.

This past week though I have been very good food wise and have checked the labels. But unfortunately my doctor and nurse hasn't been very clear on what I can and can't have! (just stating that eat as little fat as possible) exactly how much is too much fat in a day/meal?? 

What are your views on orlistat? On average how much do you all lose per week/month? 

Thanks in advance guys!

Hannah x

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

The general rule is not more than 5g fat per 100g food, and not more than 15g in a meal (so maximum 45g fat in a day). This includes all fat, "good" or bad. A lot of us use My Fitness Pal to track what we eat (there are others). I think if you don't have a tablet or smart phone you can use it online. As far as weight loss is concerned, everyone is different but in general I would aim for a steady loss of 1-2 lb a week; sometimes it will be more, sometimes less. Oh - and drink lots and lots of water! I also use Fry Light now instead of oil for a stir fry or for pretend sauté potstoes.
  • Posted

Hi Hannah,

Iam started orlistat 8 days ago after struggling with my weight for 15 years. I have found that taking a tablet 3.times a day with my meals has helped me stop snacking, finishing off the kids dinners and generally think before g eat anything! it was what I needed to try and kerb my food addiction. I was a little disappointed over the first few days, g knew I wasn't eating too much because I wasn't having the side effects but g didn't loose any weight although g felt great, no bloating, lots of energy. I then decided to stop drinking diet coke, I used to drink around 2 litres a day, gnow I drink 3 litres of water and I have lost 5lbs. I feel amazing and feel this is what I needed to get me started on my long journey ahead.

also this forum is fantastic. 

good luck on your journey

kate w

• Posted

I'm awfull at snacking too! Same with the fizzy drinks but I'm trying to swap them for water or orange juice and although it's early days I've stuck to it so far!

Ahh wow that's an AMAZING start Kate! Well done! 

And good luck! Thanks for the advice it's much appreciated smile

• Posted

Hi H4nn3r,

They have worked for me i am currently a size 12 (was a 24) i have a blog full of ideas tips what to eat/not eat if you want it please let me know

Britney

X

• Posted

Hello and welcome to the forum H4NN3R.;-)

Check out lovely Britney's Blog....there is everything you need to know!

Daisy x

///*.*\\\

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up