New to Patient: Heart/Palpitations Anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I am new, hoping to connect with those who understand.

​I am 28, my anxiety has increased after having a baby 4 years ago.

I have been hospitalized, tested with EKG, and weekly heart monitor.

​All results are fine.

​My palpitations feel like my heart stops for a second. I even feel my pulse and feel the "lub dub" while missing one of them in rhythm.

​I have made diet changed and stopped having bad sugars (I will only have natural sugar from fruit) and stopped wheat as well.

​I am hoping that because I stopped the sugar it would explain my 5 palpitations I had today. All reasons were stress/scare related.

​My fear is that these palpitations are damaging my heart with each one I have. I am trying so hard to stay calm.

​Having an autistic toddler as a single mommy is not easy.

​3 months ago I left an abusive relationship.

​I am safe but the worry carries on. Can anyone relate to this fear?

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I can totally relate to what you are feeling!! The symptoms you are describing sound like mine and they are called ectopic heart beats where an extra beat is felt or a little pause. These are usually benign and nothing to worry over as anxiety and stress can bring these on. I suffer daily and I'm going to a hypnotherapist today as I feel my life is being ruined. Try not to panic when they happen just let them pass and carry on with your day, if they get worse or you have other symptom then see your doctor but these are just anxiety usually. I suffer with rapid heart beat too it speeds up to 140bpm I am terrified but apparently it's all a vicious circle please message me anytime I know how you feel x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

totally relate to this - and ive had it for a while now. As said earlier - many a time they are totally normal without issues - and as long as you have had your overall heart / health checked out
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have the same thing.... I'll just be sitting on the couch and it literally feels like my heart stops for a second or 2 I've had chest x rays ekg halter monitor and everything comes back fine.... Dr said it's anxiety and it's been getting better it happens at night constantly when I'm falling asleep. Weird lol
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

also premature ventricular contractions! Look it up!it makes sense! I go to a clinic so I never see the same dr which Is kind of a relief cause I'm getting more then one opinion every time I go back and they all say the same thing.... They say if the heart flutters happen quick and don't last for a few mins then don't worry about it. And they always say that your heart palpatates all day u just don't usually feel it
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello there,

Well, I'm glad you've left the abusive relationship. That's a big positive. It took me years to leave mine, so well done.

\I'm so sorry to read that your child has autism - no wonder you're worried.

The palpitations are NORMAL. Everyone has them, all the time, and missed beats. Stop taking your pulse!!!!

Are you getting support with being a single mom who has a child with autism? I'm quite sure it would help you if you were able to talk this through with another mother who is going through the ssame thing.

Yes, you're safe now, and yes, the worry carries on for a while, but it will go. It did for me, anyway.

Your heart is not being damaged. If it was, all the tests you've had would have shown something up, and they haven't.

If you are worrying tomorrow that stopping sugar didn't stop the palpitations, join the panic attack club.

Honey, I'm not minimising your problems -but youve done a brave thing leaving the abusive relationship and you have a child with a disability. No wonder you're in panic mode.

You've had the tests (so have I) and they were normal (so were mine)

Please try to move on from anxiously trying this, that and the other for a heart problem which isn't actually a heart problem at all.

Are you on anti-anxiety meds? Go and see your doctor for more advice. Let us know how you are doing.

Much love from Tess

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up