New to the forum, tired of the cycle

Posted , 5 users are following.

If you're reading this, thanks. I'm grateful. I've been battling with depression for years. It's worse during the Winter months and in the past I've had bouts of depression followed by periods of great positivity.Typically I'll be non-productive in anything for weeks and then get a to the point where I pick myself up and force myself to get on with life; exercise, catch up with work, eat healthy.

My problem at the moment is that this cycle is continuing but the down times are becoming deeper and longer and the positive times fewer with less productivity during them (a week or a few days of being back on track and then right back to being low).

I know I self medicate with drink. I know it's worse in Winter. But I'm so tired. I just want to been more even all the time. I'd gladly give up the swings for a more stable life. How do people find balance?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, wish I could offer advice - just wanted to let you know, this is similar for me too. I know is doesn't always help to know someone else is going through the same, but I understand. The general depression, heightened at winter, the inertia, the drinking to self medicate - how protracted it is this time, me too.

Keep posting on here, people are thoughtful and kind with advice, sorry I can't offer any, just you are not alone. Best wishes

• Posted

Hi,  sorry you are feeling bad.  Perhaps you also have something called seasonal depression which may mean a lack of vitamin D. Have you ever tried a sun lamp?
  • Posted

Hi Over,

We go to professionals and take meds that the drs give us.

I’m sorry for the highs and lows that you are experiencing.

I go through the same thing.

Please seek professional help. Also, mixing alcohol and self medicating can make you stop breathing. It is very dangerous.

You can always come back here for advice or just to vent or talk.

We will try to help you any way that we can.

• Posted

Hi Carmela, I have seen some of your posts and hope you are doing better. You are in my prayers
  • Posted

Hi OverThinking - Alcohol is a depressant in itself and exacerbates the depression - which sounds a bit like it's a seasonal disorder (SAD). The best thing you can do for yourself is to take a trip to the doctor. Describe what is happening - be honest about everything. Medications may be prescribed to help balance your mood. I'm wondering if there are any issues in the past affecting you, even perhaps a familial connection with depression. Meds are often best used in conjunction with therapy/counselling or a psychologist. If you are averse to meds and want alternative therapy, Lavender, St Johns Wort and Camomile Tea are helpful, among other things. The point is that you need help and there is no need for you to struggle through these bouts like you do. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.