New to this

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there everyone

Finally went to my doctor today after knowing I had depression for years and years. I'd always tried to cope with it alone but after a really low couple of days I finally made that call.

He's told me I'm severely depressed and has put me on Fluoxetine. I'm quite scared to pop that first pill, especially after reading about everyone's side effects.....but I will do.

I have a counselling session booked for next week too.

Scary times, feeling anxious.....but hopeful.

x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

these are the 5 things i told myself before i took the 1st pill.

1. yes the side effects can be bad but they are managable and dont last forever.

2. you will find it very difficult to get better without some form of chemical aid.

3. you wont know how you will be affected unless you take that first pill.

4. if you feel worse you can always go back to the doctor

5. by the time the side effects start you should already be in a routine of taking the pills everyday and so will not want to break it.

• Posted

I had much the same hesitation about taking the first pill.... I musta had the pack in the house for over a week before getting on with it. I knew myself after many years of kidding myself that just saying everying was \"fine\" wasn't working and I needed that wee bit of help.

There may be side effects, or you may be lucky and not get any, but by taking them you will feel better, honest :wink: It may not be straight away, and you may not be dancing round the room (or you might!) but things will be better!

• Posted

Thanks guys for both of your replies, it really helps.

I'm a 38 year old woman, mum of 2 kids, but I still need advice and support as much as the next person.

Am gonna go to bed now and take that first pill, that first step when I wake tomorrow.

Thanks again. xx

• Posted

we are here to help and knowing we have helped someone helps us too so hopefully you will also be able to use this forum for the same 2 way councilling i do
  • Posted

Your post struck a cord with me as I am also in my late 30's and a mum and have been on Flu for a year now. I just came back on the site to catch up as I haven't posted since earlier in the year.

I was diagnosed with moderate to severe depression and was recommended flu after resisting for a month or so. I had some really wierd side effects such as anxiety, disturbed sleep, nausea (especially in the mornings), yawning and mega-tiredness. I also lost my appetite and lost a lot of weight - not good as I am very small as it is.

If this is putting you off, that isn't the intention. It took 6 weeks for me to feel better and 11 weeks before I felt much better. I started to once again enjoy things I hadn't, could go to social things, stopped crying and I returned to work part-time. I still take flu but every other day now and am slowly reducing them over a period of months.

My advice is you will feel worse before you feel better, but don't give up! I also found the following helped; sunlight, walking each day, a good diet, rest - lots, reducing commitments and this sounds strange but don't watch or listen to the news or sad things. Finally give yourself time, this illness takes a long time to recover from - don't be too hard on yourself and always put yourself first. Hope this helps you x

• Posted

Hello Peanut Girl

Thanks so much for your post; sharing your experience and giving tips is really helpful and encouraging.

It is still very early days for me but I am hanging on in there.

Thanks again

Miss JR xx

• Posted

You're more than welcome, I know how isolating it feels :roll: x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.