New to this

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello there!

I am a 22 year old female and everything in my life should be making me happy but I'm simply just not. I am constantly down, have no energy and I am not interested in doing anything and get little enjoyment out of anything. That is, except food. I am one of those people who turns to food and have gained a little weight recently. I would in no circumstances regard myself as fat yet I can't help but have no body confidence. 

I am not having any suicidal thoughts by any means but, I do worry about being a burden on those around me and have somewhat distanced myself. I find myself not enjoying life and leading a boring life that seems to be passing me by.

I certainly do not want to try anti depressants since I feel my condition is probably mild however, I wonder if anyone has any tips on how to just enjoy the simple things more? More energy is probably the best solution however I cannot find the energy in the slightest to get out of bed before midday unless I have to for work or, to even tidy up and clean. I used to be very clean person and now even my dishes get left until they literally need doing because I have nothing left to use. On my days off i do nothing except sit in front of the TV and play monotonous games on my phone. Caffeine and sugar does little to help me.

I have ready a few articles recently about a connection between depression and the contraceptive pill however, I have been using this for around 5 years and it is only really the last few months that I have felt this way so I am unsure as to whether this could be the connection.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I could do to perk myself up?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Lolo

I always find diversions help my put negative thoughts out of my mind. Ilook for activities that will interest me.

I have an orchard that needs attention, I look into the news and delve into stories of the day, I do my own research on the internet. I read a great deal of reference. In the summer we are members of the National Trust, English Heritage and Historic Houses, anything to divert my negative thoughts

I do not say do above, just look for activities to help move you on to a more positive place.

Discuss, all with your GP, yes it may be medication, although it may only be once in your life

BOB

• Posted

Sounds like a vitamin deficiency or low iron rather than actually suffering from any form of depression
  • Posted

Lolo, this does sound exactly like Depression to me. Google symptoms of depression. A lot of people will say "I'm depressed I lost my job" or"I'm depressed my boyfriend and I broke up". Depression that has no catalyst and interferes with your daily activities needs to be addressed. Isolation, loss of interest in things you once enjoyed, change in sleep and eating habits, I'm not a Dr. But I have had depression for 20 years.

First you should see your Dr. to rule out hypothyroidism (a simple blood test) if that comes back negative it may be time to try medication. There is nothing wrong with taking an antidepressant. For some people like me, for some reason they don't work. I've tried them all. But I would say most people find a lot of relief. Medication is not the only thing you should try though. I believe therapy is very important. It has helped me a lot. Please see your Dr though and tell him all your symptoms and if he can rule out thyroid. Hope things work out for you. Depression is not fun, believe me, I understand.

• Posted

Hi Lola so sorry that you are so down right now. Do you find that any particular thing makes your depression worse? Like the holidays?

Have you tried antidepressants or therapy. I have tried both with great success though both take time.. for me I got down to my issues below the surface. 

Lola would you like to share a little of what's going on with you I would be glad to listen? I understand what it feels like to look around you and think why do I have all this and I am so sad and down. I do. We care on this site for each other and we care for you. Please keep us posted. Diane

• Posted

Hi Iolo123 - focus on what you enjoy doing. Meditation might be helpful, as are herbal remedies like St Johns Wort, Camomile Tea and Lavender. The first step is the hardest, but you need to change your routine and develop ma new one. Wake earlier and go for a walk. Food is not just an emotional suppressant - it's about boredom, too. It's up to you to make the effort. If you are not feeling any better after making changes, see your doc and consider alternatives to dealing with your mood.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.