New to this, a few questions

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just had what seems to be my first gallbladder attack this week. I m having an ultrasound Fri to confirm but the doc seems pretty sure based on the symptoms. I'm having 2 kinds of pain one is swelling in the gallbladder area itself the other is a hard lump, I'm guessing the offending stone. The lump seems to have made it down into my stomach area the intestines? I actually think I might have passed 2 smaller stones a few days ago that wern t as bad merely a few hours of misery this last one however seemed to do some damage on the way through in the form of painfully swelling. Laying on my left side helps, as does alive I m not suppose to take ibprophian due to conflicts with other meds. So to the questions 1) how long can I expect the swelling to last post stone? 2) is it common to pass them in groups? I have a supision I me ght have caused this with use of my new tens unit for back pain in that general area. Is it possible the electric current broke a stone into pieces that then tried to pass?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lyssa

I can't really answer your question about passing stones as I'm not sure about that, just wanted to say that I really sympathise with you in regards to the pain, I was diagnosed with Gallstones in January and am currently on the waiting list for Surgery, the one thing that I have learnt from this forum is that the symptoms for Gallstones can vary greatly x

• Posted

The Dr called and said my blood work indicated a blocked bile duct. She wanted me to come in for emergency surgery... I told her something shifted and talked her into waiting till after my ultra sound tomorrow. Is that a normal reaction? It seems a little 0 -60 for a first issue.

• Posted

I haven't had this kind of issue with my stone, BUT... My Dr. warned me strongly that if the bile duct got blocked it could mean a serious infection and that these infections were very often deadly. He told me that if I had any symptoms of fever with it, that I was to get myself to the ER immediately, and I would be having the surgery. So, to answer your question, specifically, your doctor's reaction seems normal to me. People do die from a blocked bile duct.
  • Posted

I'm guessing ibprophian is some sort of ibuprofen.  My understanding is that these meds should be avoided with this type of issue anyway.  Paracetamol based products are the ones to go for for pain relief.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.