New to this disease and this forum

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with DD about 6 months ago after having a ct scan! I think I have had it for several years without knowing but sure know about it now! Have searched Internet for advice on diet etc but doesn't seem to be much help at all? Dad had it and said he cut out tomatoes and nuts as they seemed to cause a flare up and strangely that seems to be my problem too! Am currently in the midst of a flare up and on antibiotics. Can anyone tell me how long their flare ups last? Mine seem to go on for weeks! I am a wedding photographer and had to do 10 hours in absolute agony on Saturday! Just wish I could stave it off when it begins but no idea how???

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi chele59

I was diagnosed with DD two years ago and all the advice I was given at the hospital was don't eat seeds. so, I thought nothing of this disease if that is all the advice I was given.

last week I was told the disease was much worse and the computer generated print out from the hospital showed my sigmoid area to be completely full of swollen diverticula. (if that is the right word).

Still no help apart from eat we wheat bran, two tablespoons per day. so I do.

My consultant said he was very surprised that I wasn't in considerable pain.

Have very little pain just a foul smell in my mouth if I am thirsty and awful nausea in the morning with dizziness.

My doctor was reluctant to take about my swollen gallbladder without telling me why, now I know why, when your gallbladder packs in DD sets in. I went to her surgery and sobbed my heart out in front of her, I felt so embarrassed but with no one else to talk to I need someone. I sobbed and sobbed. I don't know if I can look at her again.

I have been trying to find foods which suit. I eat steamed vegetables, no sauce and only chicken as red meat is a nono. (my fave was homemade chilli sauce) Obviously I am not allowed fats so everything fatty has been COMPLETELY removed, except 0.01 milk and fat free yogurt. I take a calcium supplements Osteocare . alcohol is out as is Indian food, cheese and chocolate. what sort of life is without chocolate? sorry, my pathetic attempt at a joke.

I still get this mouldy taste and smell, what's the hell is that?

my consultant told me Iwill be in awful pain in the future. nothing like constructive help eh? Oh boy, a hot flush, hang on.......

I walk my neighbours dogs who keep me running for an hour, do kettle bell for 10 mins every other days and adhesion hoop and have a gazelle air walker.

if anybody has any suggestions fo nqnythingelsen to help

• Posted

If anyone has any suggestions to help, please post as it looks like we are on our own coping with this disease.
  • Posted

Stupid iPad....for 'adhesion hoop' read hula hoop
  • Posted

Hi,

I am new to this site - have just been diagnosed with Diverticular Disease after being rushed into hospital just before Christmas with rectal bleeding and the most awful pain. Have had every test possibel since then - at least it feels like it!!

Any suggestions as to how other sufferers have dealt with this unpleasant disease and the best way to control the flareups when they start?

• Posted

I have found that when I feel I am getting a flare up I take the tabs the doc gave me - mebeverine. to be honest flare ups are few and far between since I did a food diary and found what upsets the system! Anything with seeds basically and peanuts so far! I really empathise with you as it is really painful when you get it!
  • Posted

I am sorry designerlady as I have only just seen your response from last year! I thought I was alone with this awful disease! I have also bought a juicer and juice everything so that I don't get any seeds in anything! It has really helped and I would recommend it without hesitation.
  • Posted

Hi Amaranth, Hope you are coping ok? I currently have a flare up and to be totally honest I don't think there is anything you can do except I have found it quite comforting putting my feet up with a hotwater bottle on my tummy. My other half is absolutely brilliant when I get it and very supportive so I am very lucky. I knew when this flare up was building up but couldn't do anything about it - that's what I find frustrating - you know it's coming and there's nothing u can do to stop it? there doesn't seem to be much online to help you either. I bought a book on it but sent it back because it was no help at all! So hopefully we will all be able to help and support each other on this forum.
  • Posted

Hi chele59, Thanks you for your response. Touch wood everything seems to be ok except now I am developing a distaste for ilk and yogurt is a complete no-no. I cut all acid foods form my diet and I fell ok. Pains in upper arms and across chest but I find that is liver, according to the forums. I try to keep off foods that start any reaction.

• Posted

Yes all very strange - we think this bout started with broad beans as it is the only thing we could think of that I had eaten and hadn't eaten for a very long time? So yet another thing to cut out of diet! A never ending learning curve! And a painful one at that!
  • Posted

Oh Lord, I have two allotments and am growing broad bean by the hundreds,, AAARGGHH!! My main problem is wind!! It is so embarrassing and sometimes leaves me quite sore in places I don't want to be. I seem to be alright with green vegetable except sprouts and cabbage which I LOVE. But I still get this mouldy taste in my mouth form time to time. Yuck!!

I don't get any pain, just a little discomfort now and again with the DD but the gallbladder causes more pain. I don't know how much longer I can keep it maybe that was what my consultant, god bless his soul, meant by saying I will be in awful pain later on.

• Posted

Oh goodness - what's one man's pleasure is another man's poison as they say so don't stop growing the broad beans! All other veg I seem to be ok with! Gosh you are lucky if you don't get any pain - it is debilitating for me!
  • Posted

I don;t know how I am pain free. I feel it when I sit awkwardly as in not sitting up straight, I don;t know how it is. Someone 'up there' must be watching out for me. I eat a bowl of oatbran every morning to keep things going and I am on Thyroxine, for an underactive Thyroid, which keeps things going too. I don;t know, I'm not waiting for the bubble to burst, I'm just glad of every day.

I am waiting for my post to be approved above, as I included to links to other sites - one is end-diverticulitis and the other is for Sherry Bressica's no pain book. I'm sure that passing round other site links can only be beneficial for sufferes of DD.

• Posted

BTW how old is everyone on here I am 58.
  • Posted

Yes thank you for the thought of passing on links and you are right I am sure these will be helpful - we shall see if they are allowed?

I am 63.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.