New to this - don’t know what to do!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am currently abroad in a foreign country and whilst here I have been having a relationship with a local man. Since sleeping with him I have developed an outbreak of what appears to be classical genital herpes. Access to sexual health checks is not easy here and therefore I haven’t been able to get a diagnosis but I have spoke with a close family friend who is a nurse practitioner and she advised me to start Aciclovir treatment which I have.   I now don’t know whether to speak to the guy about it to find out if he has it or not. I am scared of the answer in case he did know and did not tell me.  I am also worried that he will blame me and think I am dirty! He still wants to see me while I am here but I am using excuses to avoid him so that I don’t end up in a situation where he wants to have sex. 

I feel like I have ruined my life and I don’t see any chance of the future I once thought I would have. I can’t imagine ever being the same person again or anyone ever wanting to be with me in a sexual way. 

I am due to return home shortly however only for one week before travelling to Asia for a year. I am now questioning whether I should even go as I don’t feel I will be able to enjoy myself the way I would have done before this happened.

I feel so alone and down and I don’t have anyone I can speak to. Any advice would be most appreciated 😔

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi, ambc22

I understand how your feeling is, but you shouldn't be discouraged. Herpes is too common and lots of people get it. If I were you, I'd like to talk my partner. As many people have herpes but they don't know until they get tested. In your situation, maybe your partner doesn't know he gets the infection. You should feel free to talk with him, the conversation should be gentle and comfortable. In case he blames you for herpes, you may stop this relationship. As a person who loves you will understand and sympathize with you, I think both of you should have a discussion. He deserves to know what’s happening to you. He also needs to protect himself if he hasn’t had herpes. Genital herpes looks like other infections or diseases, it's normal, so you shouldn't be worried. Treatments will help you prevent recurrences and have a date normally. Feel free to talk about it with your partner. Hope this comment is helpful for you! 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Jenifer.  We have only been seeing each other for about five weeks and will only see him for another two before I return home so it has been a very casual relationship. My worries about speaking with him are that I don’t know him well enough to know how he will react, a language barrier and a different cultural awareness of sexual health. 

I think as well I feel so uncomfortable and disgusting with myself that I don’t know if i have the ability to yet speak to someone else about it if you know what I mean. I just feel so depressed and feel that my life is over. 

• Posted

You shouldn't think that, your thought is killing you. Herpes can be prevented by treatments and lifestyles. You should think optimistically though I know you're hopeless, now. For your partner, you maybe feel difficult to talk with him as both of you have just been dating for 5 weeks. But how can you know his thought if you don't tell him. Keeping this secret only makes you feel guilty, hopeless and stressful. Maybe he will understand you after a conversation. Or this can help maintain your relationship though you return home. 

• Posted

I know you are right and I don’t want this to rule my life I just can’t see past it at the moment. My trip to Asia has been a dream for years and it is meant to be a party central trip but I just don’t know how I am going to do that with this condition. I’m worried that I will have further outbreaks when I am there especially with the alcohol consumption and that it will ruin the experience for both me and my best friend. That’s why I don’t know if it will be best not to go but then I feel like I am letting it rule my life. So conflicted!!
    • Posted

Your mind may be in a mess now. But the trip to Asia is your dream, you should take this advantage to remove your stress and nervousness. Maybe it will help you relax and think about the infection optimistically. If you feel free, you can share your troubles to your best friend. She perhaps understands what you're suffering and helps you in your trip. You still have wonderful experiences with your friend. To do that, I think you should forget guilty and hopeless feelings. Let yourself enjoy the great chance. 

• Posted

let me know your feelings if you're too hopeless. Keeping this secret may cause stress, so I just hope you can overcome negative thought and be happy. If you wanna share your fellings, feel free to talk cheesygrin^

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.