new to this, feeling scared

Posted , 11 users are following.

So not really sure where to start, I've had problems with Anxiety for a long time, heart palpitations, nausea, dizzyness, fear of death, feeling of not being in control of my body. Things have definitely got worse, i think because my dad had a heart attack recently, then a friend of the family died suddenly and young. I now seem to not be able to go a day without worrying about death, having what i think are panic attacks almost everyday but worrying its something serious. Does anyone else feel like this, i honestly feel like i am going mad. Its affecting my concentration at work, its putting a strain on my relationship despite my partner being as supportful as possible, but its very hard to describe to someone how you feel when they haven't felt the same way. Am i alone in this?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I can relate to your experiences also, I suffer from health anxiety (hypochondria as it used to be known).  This only came on about 8 months ago after sufferring prolonged periods of anxiety and panic attacks.  I used to over-analyse every twitch, headache, muscle ache, spasm, palpitation and sensation in general.  My anxiety is still bad at the moment and I have just started back on the SSRI's today, however it is important to get the all-clear for any major illnesses from your doctor and then to accept it as anxiety.  I know this is harder said then done but it is important to practice reassuring yourself when you have a symptom or sensation.
    • Posted

Im terrible for this, analysing every little thing, if I see a mole I think its potentially cancerous, a headache I think tumours, heart palpitations I think heart disease. Its just getting it into my head and telling myself it is nothing serious, some days are better than other for reasoning with myself.
  • Posted

Omg this is exactly what happened to me, it makes it a little better knowing I'm not alone, I think not been able to concentrate is also horrible.

Have you tried CBT it did help me a bit? It might help you, i think its a better start than medication too.

Good luck with your journey xxx

• Posted

Thanks Jennifer,

Thats the thing knowing other people understand and can relate to how I feel makes things easier and being able to discuss it further.

I havent tried Cbt no, I definitely think that would be a better route for me as I get anxious if I have to take tablets anyway.

Thanks for your message and hope you feel better soon xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.