new to this forum, glad I came here

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 2 weeks from my TKR and was looking for info on dizziness post-op, so glad I came upon this forum, made me feel much less sorry for myself.

I had two pretty bad dizzy spells so I cut back the pain meds (Oxycodone and Tramodal) to just one a day.  Seems to be working so far.  I am already at 107 degrees of flexion, which appears to be pretty good for just two weeks out.  Using a cane but I can walk some without it.  

Glad to hear that eventually all this will be worth it - keep the faith!

1 like, 21 replies

Report / Delete

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The important part of using the cane is the security. Its n I t going to help or detract from the actual process of healing as you still have to do the basics. There have been some on here that have said the therapist is mandating removal of assistive devices based on time rather than ability. Personally, I have found the more secure I am the more likely I am to stride out properly. The basics of waling properly are to stand upright, stride as far as you're comfortable landing on your heel then transferring weight to toes and finishing off with as much of a bend as you can comfortably manage. Go slow because hurrying will just get you in a mode of fast and wrong. Granted, you'll look strange to others but that's unimportant. Your bend I s great but don't overlook straight. A leg that isnt as flat as possible will cause you to limp and promote hip and back pain
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You are absolutely right with everything you said. Getting it right is more important than speed. I am at minus 5 degrees on the straightening so I've got some work yet to do on that one.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I did have one very bad dizzy spell within the first 4 weeks after my tkr. My son practically carried me to the couch. My visiting nurse came in as the spell was starting to fade. We decided it was probably a combination of things. A drop in BP, pain meds, not enough protein and/or fluids. I've been careful since and I haven't had another episode.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It sounds like you're doing great! The oxycodone will definitely give you a lightheadedness but that passes. I take one an hour before physical therapy just to be able to get the maximum out of therapy with less pain. I'm at six weeks and was measured today at 115 degrees and my therapist thought that was awesome, so you're doing extremely well. Try taking something like Extra Stength Tylenol instead of oxycodone to see if that works for you. You won't get the side effects of 'dysphoria' or dizziness. I gave up my cane after about a week after surgery but my therapist told me to use it if I'm feeling a little unsteady. It's a long and arduous process but you will see some great results, it takes patience, time and some discomfort to get there, but you will.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

If the oxy is to strong try lowering doseage. I comes all the way from 5 to 20 mg. My Dr . wrote my scrip for 5mg and let me be the judge of pain level and doseage I needed. Also hydrocodone is a lower level med that is an opiate combined with Tylenol. It comes in 3 levels 5/325, 7.5/500, 10/500. You have to remember to eliminate Tylenol if you are taking. Hydrocodone as too much Tylenol can have an adverse effect on either liver or kidneys (memory isnt working real good this morning, the coffee hasn't fully navigated from stomach to brain.). Well, on to Christmas shopping and such. My wife is in advancing stages of Parkinson's which hasn't dampened her enthuiasim for Christmas but has left her unable to drive or shop anymore. So I'm out the door to fill the next of her needs. We weren't going to decorate, etc this year then got word our son in CA decided to come back and the frenzy has begun
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

107 degrees after 2 weeks you are joking?!!!

I struggled to get to 90 degrees for my 6 week appointment with surgeon but did just make it.

Sarah

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

welcome to the forum  you are doing fantastic 107 deg at 2wks is great and your not finished yet . just a little advice dont get to cocky walking without the cane yet as your leg still will be a little weak ,not worth the risk might be ok briefly in the house as long as you are near something to grab hold of .keep up the great work
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

yes thats the way to go that way you have it if you get tired  i remember when i was trying to walk without a crutch i did the same and i was glad i had it as i met someone and stopped to have a chat ,problem was this person had no idea that standing in one position is very difficult at the begining so having the crutch in my hand i soon put it down to lean a little mind you its hard getting the leg to move again after standing  but once you get going again it is fine
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up