New to this group and mirtazapine.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello,

I've just been prescribed mirtazipine by the gp after so many failed antidepressants. I'm feeling pretty deaperate & was just hoping for some idea of what to expect on them.

I'm going to pluck up the courage and take my first one tonight.

Has anyone tried this & what experiences have you had?

Thank you in advance & any thoughts would be great.

Butterfly x

0 likes, 109 replies

109 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

H Butterfly

I was on mirt for about 3 years (I can't remember quite) until recently. I am under a psychiatrist athough I was in hospital for a long time 7 years ago and so my condition was considered to be very serious.

I was on a number of meds and I am still on two - so it is difficult to say which one made the difference - my condition is complex - bipolar and depression. But in the last few years my situation has improved markedly and I have no doubt that this is no doubt due in part to mirtazapine.

Every med has its side-effects. I could tell you side-effects that I experienced but that won't help you. My onwn feeling of this is that the doctor should admit these if the patient raises these with the doctor - although not necessarily draw attention to these when first prescribing.

Having said that when I was not so long ago was to stop taking Lithium my psych gave me the datasheet of the two drugs that I might take instead to choose. But if one is really ill, in a nervous state, very anxious etc, one is not in a state of mind to be able to choose.

Good luck!

• Posted

i was on that drug two mnths iy drug for two months didnt help me at all but everyone different hope it works for u x
  • Posted

Why go 15'when 7.5 is more sedating ....and if it doesn't work out, easier to get off them right. Doctors tend to start to high with these pills and they always seem to want to up them. 
  • Posted

I have never heard of anyone taking 7.5 mg. I was originally prescribed 30 mg but finding that knocked me out. My main dr's colleague told me to cut the tablet in half and since then I always took 15 mg. On this site people have taken up to 45 mg.

But 7.5 mg? I think Rose that you are just trying to undermine the advice that Butterfly has been given. If you are against the medication say so, don't give advice which IMHO is rubbish.

• Posted

I took 7.5 mg of mirt as I am so sensitive to tablets,I told my doctor and she it was ok.it still worked for me,it did calm me down,but I didn't t like the side effects,we are all adults,and are only advising,everyone is different,and we all lead different lives,I personally do not have a life where I can be dumbed down on tablets

• Posted

Yes, we are all different. The side-effects that we are prepared to put up with must presumably depend on the seriousness of one's symptoms. For instance, when I was in hospital I was given ECT (Electro-convulsive therapy). It is a horrific treatment and people are not given it unless ther patient is sriously ill.
    • Posted

Aw you sound like you ve had a very bad time over the years Nick.i think Anxiety,Depression is very cruel,I don t think there are any easy solutions to these problems.i hope you are feeling stronger now.my problem is that I have damage to my inner ear and it effects my balance,which has caused me to be anxious,so I m very frustrated as I m in a catch 22 situation
    • Posted

I don't want to give a full life story - I don't feel now really poor me, but describing everything that has happened to me naturally doesn't make me feel better - also even in an anonymous forum such as this once I have told you everything about myself (I am speaking to everyone) I can't take it back. And someone will remember what I have said and possibly use it against me. So this is a "warning" to everyone.

As an aside on a local general forum where I participate I set up a French conversation course. Subsequently I asked for suggestions of a laundrette. A few weeks later I went to the group and another man brought up in passing in the group that he had seen my ad about the laundrette. He knew my identity. Now I will think carefully about what I write. Of course, now I know who he is I can also use that knowledge. I am not like that, but if someone seems to troll me on the site I am more likely to see if I can have a go at them.

• Posted

Not true Nick, they make a 7.5 tablet in the US. Why would they make it if no one takes it?

so you are wrong about that. And it's also true mirt is more,sedating at a,lower dose. All you need to do Nick...is,read.... And research....

• Posted

Have it your way. You can beiieve what you like regarding the max sedative effect of mirtazapine being at 7.5 mg. For many the sedative effect was the main **problem** with mirt. I was originally prescribed 30 mg by my psych. I couldn't take the sedative effect and therefore reduced my dose from 30 to 15. I have never heard of a drug which has a max effect (a side-effect certainly for me as I wasn't taking it for insomnia)at a msall dose.

It is unclear that one should take it at the 7.5 mg. Most people I would suggest don't want the sedative effect that you speak of, which I certainly didn't want.  So if what if you say is the case, why are you proposing someone taking the low dose, which by you admission (not mine) mirt has a max effect at 7.5 mg. I certainly didn't want the sedatove effect - that is why I reduced from 30 to 15. So at some point between 15 and 0 (you say 7.5 mg) the max sedative effect is achieved. I am a statistician and I haven never heard anything like it - I seem to recall that you don't understand stats nor mathematics - clearly not.

But if you have any evidence on this please show it - I don't have to do your research for you. If you have any evidence then I will look at it.

PS I know that there are 7.5 mg tablets. I don't deny that some people might be taking 7.5 mg but I am unclear why they would take it if gave the strongest sedative effect. Maybe for insominia ut not for depression.

• Posted

Right when mirt is prescribed off label for insomnia, using 7.5 makes more sense. Not only that why not start at the lowest dose,  the doctor doesn't  have a clue as to wether a person will have an " allergic" reaction to this new medication. Always best to be safe when it comes to mind altering drugs.

see how the patient does on a low dose. I'm sure there have been many people in the ER because a doctor popped someone on 30 and it went haywire with their chemistry. Like I said I deal more with common sense than numbers.

my brother was given lithium ...six hours later he was in the hospital for shock and the inability to breath, actually he could have easily died. He isn't even bipolar. They misdiagnosed him.

these doctor need to be a lot more careful with handing out these drugs. Yes I agree they help people and people tolerated them and for some it's a godsend. I agree with this.

but remember there was a time before anti depressants and people had to cope the best they could. So, if you want a stat. Why not look up the increase in suicide before anti depressants and now? Kind of a shocking stat that suicide has risen significantly in the last thirty years instead of going down.

im not trying to antagonize you. I'm just stating the facts.

• Posted

Since I found out that each different dose alters differently your chemestry...Every tapering is painful because it alters something. This is why the Cita protocol makes sense. 
    • Posted

Manuel, sorry that happened, but I'm sure you aren't the only one. Many more people without a voice have been a victim to a healthcare system that is uneducated. It would be nice if the doctor handing out the pill actually knew what it did. They have no idea. Even the people who make the pill and make trillions of dollars don't know. They think they have an idea and they talk a lot about seritonin uptake ect.

if something is so complicated that very few people actually know how it works, why are they handing them out like candy?

there is a percentage of the population that needs these medications in a serious way, and for that I'm glad they are available.

handing them out to every third patient is not right and will effect our society in particular in the USA, because every one of the school shooters over here were on some type of anti depressant...every one of them!!! Now they warn not to give these pills to teens..might cause homicidal thoughts or actions. A little to late for all the people who lost a child due to these kids that were out of their minds on these drugs....I could go on and go ...but you know what I mean.

• Posted

Which pills? Also you are in the USA. This is patient.info. Many of us have clearly benefited frommeds. I was seriously ill and without meds I probably would be here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.