New to Venlafaxine

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have just started 27.5 mg twice daily and already picked up on the common side effect of nausea. I started yesterday so its really early doors and after having a bad experience on Mirtazapine 45mg, which put me is extreme crisis. I have been given Venlafaxine, which I told may help with some of my neuropathic pain as well as my Anxiety and depression

I guess my question to all my new discussion friends is how long do the nausea die down. I haven't been sick but it does make me feel sick and my sleep was a mess from mirtazapine but not sure if Ven has a sedative effect. If last night was anything to go by it probably doesn't but really want point of view so that  at the time i feel so silly I can focus on being right again.

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think it's very early days to judge. I experienced slight nausea but it was all merged in with the depression which was making me feel sick and unable to eat anyway. It did take 2weeks for the beneficial effects of the venlafaxine to become apparent so my advice would be to hang in there if you can and give it some time. I know venlafaxine doesn't suit everyone, but that's the same with any antidepressant. All you can do is give it a try. It's helped me and enabled me to get on with my life again, after fluoxitine made me lurching drunk (no alcohol involved, honestly!) and seroxat stopped working. Good luck - I hope it works for you.
  • Posted

most meds have a yukky start up with nausea feeling until yourbody adapts to them.

All i can suggest is keep taking them and try drinking ginger tea, or take some travel sickness medication, even wear those wee bands to help combat travel sickness, they can help with this

• Posted

I have just been prescribed 37.5mg of Altven (Venlafaxine) by my Oncologist. I am 5weeks post FAH and they are supposed to help with hot flushes, (i do not suffer from depression). Is there anyone else out there taking this medication for the same reason?

Debbie

• Posted

I have moved onto the slow realise capsules, 75mg a day. Which I'm told is a low dose. Still feel pretty dodgy thou, no more nausea but still tired and got real loss of appetite and anxiety and nervousness.

Can't believe the change from 45mg Mirtazapine to 75mg Ven in less than 1 week due to crisis. Its not been a great journey but I thought it would have been worse.

After 3 weeks of terrible sleep i final got 6-7 (albeit disturbed ) sleep.

• Posted

im on the slow release capsules also , 150mg /day, think you cana ctually go up to 325mg so you have plenty of scope if need be
  • Posted

Day 7 on efflor xr 75mg and whilst the nausea has died off i feel like balling my eyes out of silly things. Just about holding it together in front of folks and due to see doc on Monday. I dont know if to say something or just put it down to the change from a high dose of mirtazapine down the lowest dose ven. I have moments when I can be ok and more so on here when I feel I can help someone else. Its really odd I guess why I cant get a grip of it when my hands to coin a phrase a idle.
    • Posted

give it time, it is hard when chaning drugs. The doc will want give it another couple weeks. Things should improve
  • Posted

Hi I've just started on venlafine (two days ago) because I refused to go on Mirtazine after reading all the effects.

I was only told of feeling tied and possible headaches by the doctor. So far I have had a headache, I feel tied and have fallen asleep during the day at odd time sjust for about one hour but nights sleep wasn't very good, very restless

• Posted

mirtazineisnt too bad effects wise and is very tolerable
    • Posted

Mirtazapine isn't too bad what made me ill was the increase from 30mg to 45mg. Otherwise I would say its a fairly good drug. The oral dispersable also make it eays to take too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.