New to Venlafaxine

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have just started 27.5 mg twice daily and already picked up on the common side effect of nausea. I started yesterday so its really early doors and after having a bad experience on Mirtazapine 45mg, which put me is extreme crisis. I have been given Venlafaxine, which I told may help with some of my neuropathic pain as well as my Anxiety and depression

I guess my question to all my new discussion friends is how long do the nausea die down. I haven't been sick but it does make me feel sick and my sleep was a mess from mirtazapine but not sure if Ven has a sedative effect. If last night was anything to go by it probably doesn't but really want point of view so that  at the time i feel so silly I can focus on being right again.

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Going into week 2 now, And anxiety is all over still, depression is a little same, but then I'm only on 75mg ( I hope I don't need anymore ). Just want to settled, I have a business meeting with a new client tomorrow and I don't want to look silly.
    • Posted

Sorry I meant the anxiety all over the place, I cant put my finger at the moment on how I feel too, just really odd and unexplainable.

Just trying to avoid the easy way out of locking myself in my room as It wont help I guess

• Posted

definitely wouldnt help, just got to keep on figthing and let the meds do theyre work
    • Posted

Got a routine check with GP so not sure what she will say next, I am sure she want to up my dose to something more therapuetic but must admit I am unsure about the drug after reading about how difficult it is to come off later

• Posted

I've came off it after taking it for 8 years, as long as do it gradual over a month or so from high dose then i found it had few problems. One tip to come off it is to take prozac alongside it for the last week or so, it worked for me
  • Posted

Im guessbthe returning of low feeling now mirt is pittering off out of my system and the fact i am on a low dose of ven has just made me feel so unsure and unhappy.

im at thevstagevof wanting to cry but nit being able too its weird. then 20 mins or so later i have a bout of being ok then back into depression. feelmlike a right nut case

• Posted

Hi, how are you feeling today?  I've been on 30mg mirtazapine for 5 weeks and 37.5mg of venlafaxine for 1 week. My appetite is very poor and my anxiety has definately increased since taking the venlafaxine.  I increase my dose to 75mg tomorrow, just hope it goes well and that I start to see some benefit soon
    • Posted

I'd say you've got plenty of scope for the doc to increase your venlafaxine if necessary. I'm on 30mg mirtazapine and 225mg venlafaxine, and I've been happy and stable on that for a long time. But everyone's different, you can only try it and give it time to work. Could the anxiety be because you are worrying about whether the new medications will work? Hope it gets better for you.
    • Posted

Hello and thank you very much for replying.  Were you on mirtazapine first?  Do you sleep ok on your current combination?  It's a relief to find someone else on the same drug combination and yes you're right, I'm very frightened that the drugs won't work, it's been a terrible 6 months and everyday, especially the mornings, is very hard.
    • Posted

I have been to doc today for review and had a mixed day. With being sick at the doctors followed by a tough business meeting an hour later.

I am battling on and docs keeping me on 75 mg for another week then will put me up to 150mg next week if need be. If that doesnt work we have agreed an approach to wean off all anti depressants and try to see what happens then.

• Posted

Im not really worried about the drug working or not in that sense, I guess my frustration is I feel held back at time by this illness.
    • Posted

I was actually on venlafaxine first, then mirtazapine was added because I was still depressed. I usually sleep OK, but can sometimes wake up earlier than I'd like, like 5.30 or 6am. I have a "talking book" CD or tape ready beside my bed and listen to that if necessary. That stops me worrying about being awake. Sometimes I drop off again and miss some of the story! Mornings used to be my worse time of day too.
    • Posted

Did you find that the 30mg mirtazapine helped your depression?  How long were you on it for?  Well done for attending the meeting, that's an amazing achievement considering how you're feeling......
    • Posted

One more question then I'll stop bothering you.  How long have you been on the two drugs together? 
    • Posted

I've been on the drug combination for about 5years. I noticed a lessening of my depression within a week of adding 15mg mirtazapine to the venlafaxine, then doc increased it to 30mg mirtazapine aand that was even better and I could start getting my life back. I'd like to think I could reduce the drugs eventually but I'm in no hurry while I'm doing well, and I shall take the psychiatrist's advice on that.
    • Posted

So pleased you're well, I can't wait to get there too.  Take care 
    • Posted

30 mg did work for me for a time yes, i was on and off it but for a total of around 10 months

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.