Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there,

I have just come across this site and I think it interesting to read other peoples coments on Citalopram and depression as a whole.

I was diagnosed with a severe case of agitated depression back in October 2006. I knew something hadn't been right with me for many months previous to my diagnosis, as I would just want to breakdown and cry uncontrollably about the slightest little thing. I suppose that I put this down to tiredness as I used to travel a lot over Europe and North America with my job, however as time went on I got progressivly worse.

I started to know the situation was becoming critical when I woke one morning to find the the blood vessels in my right eye had popped and my eye was bleeding. The next week I got up for work as usual on Monday morning only to find that I couldn't stop shaking, I was being sick, I had pains in my chest as if it was about to explode, a stutter developed and I was an emotional wreck. I went down to my GP as soon as possible that morning and he imediately could see that I was in some distress, my blood pressure was through the roof, I couldn't string a sentence together and in the end it was decided to call my mum (I did not want to frighten my wife any more than I had to) to pick me up and take me home. I was prescribed 20mg Citalopram that day, however in the coming weeks it did not seem to be completely effective. My dosage was then upped to 40mg per day and I also was prescibed Half Indranal to help with my anxiety and stuttering. After a further two weeks I started to respond to the treatment and started to feel less anxious.

Cutting a long story short, I was off my work for 6 months and when I returned to work last March, it was part time initially and I changed my role so that I do not travel much now. I also receive counselling once a week which I think helps greatly but I think it is a mixture of both Citalopram and counselling that has got me through, although there is still the propensity for dark moments, they seem to lessen as time progresses.

In summary, I guess what I am saying is that what treatment works for me will not nessecerily work for others as chemically and emotially we are all very different.

It would be nice to hear others thoughts on this.

Cheers

Chris[/code]

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris & welcome :D

I'm a newbie too.

I'm still struggling with the side effects of citalopram as in feeling absolutely crap - unable to sleep, which is one of the reasons why I went to see my gp in the first place. She prescribed diazepam first, but that did absolutely zilch!

She assures me that once the side effects of citalopram have worn off I will start to sleep again! We shall see!

At the moment I am taking kalm sleep tablets too - they helped the first couple of nights but now I am back to sleepless nights!

I'm contemplating not even bothering to go to bed at all for a couple of nights in the hope I become so exhausted I will just collapse into a deep sleep the night I do go to bed.

Keep your chin up and hey! They are a great bunch of people on here, so kick off your shoes and make yourself feel at home.

Good luck with the citalopram.

Melbi x

• Posted

Hi Melbi,

I found it really difficult to sleep also when I was first prescribed Citalopram and I was given some sort of temazipan based drug to help.

It did help me get to sleep but I would wake up during the night and that would be me for a few hours. When I got up in the morning I would be really grogigie for about 3-4 hours. This I believe only added to the problem.

I still could not sleep for most of last year, but then my counselor loaded something on to my MP3 player that was (for me) a miracle. It was a certain type of music that changes the brain waves from Alpha to Beta. now before you say this is a lot of hocus pocus (as I did initially), it may be worth trying. It takes a week or two but the difference to taking some sort of sleeping pill is imeasurable. The fact that a good sleep is had (most of the time) and there is no side effects is great.

To change the subject slightly, am I the only person who has an issue with their close family understaning what it is like to be afflicted with depression.

Cheers

Chris

• Posted

Hi Chris

The problem (well one of many problems) with depression is unless someone has ever experienced it they can never fully understand what it is like.

I am lucky that all my family support me - understand me? Doubt it lol.

My mum in particular is brilliant and will go out of her way to help out at times like now.

At one time she would tel me to pull myself together - I do try and quite often tell myself too.

It isn't always that simple though is it? I can get really stressed when I hear people saying pull yourself together - I mean it's not like we enjoy feeling like this! Grrrrrrrrr!

Melbi x

• Posted

[quote:7554fa0025=\"Anonymous\"]Hi Melbi,

I found it really difficult to sleep also when I was first prescribed Citalopram and I was given some sort of temazipan based drug to help.

It did help me get to sleep but I would wake up during the night and that would be me for a few hours. When I got up in the morning I would be really grogigie for about 3-4 hours. This I believe only added to the problem.

I still could not sleep for most of last year, but then my counselor loaded something on to my MP3 player that was (for me) a miracle. [u:7554fa0025][b:7554fa0025]It was a certain type of music that changes the brain waves from Alpha to Beta.[/b:7554fa0025][/u:7554fa0025] now before you say this is a lot of hocus pocus (as I did initially), it may be worth trying. It takes a week or two but the difference to taking some sort of sleeping pill is imeasurable. The fact that a good sleep is had (most of the time) and there is no side effects is great.

To change the subject slightly, am I the only person who has an issue with their close family understaning what it is like to be afflicted with depression.

Cheers

Chris[/quote:7554fa0025]

[size=18:7554fa0025][color=darkblue:7554fa0025][b:7554fa0025]Hi Chris

Do you know where I could get some of this music?[/b:7554fa0025][/color:7554fa0025][/size:7554fa0025]

• Posted

Sorry for this very lengthy post. Thanks Chris for the Alpha/Beta brainwaves thing. I have just looked it up, now all I need is some of that music that you mention.

Brainwaves

·Types of Brainwaves

Alpha Brainwaves

·Description

·Low Alpha Waves

·Synchronous Alpha

Theta Brainwaves

· What are Theta Brainwaves?

· Types

· Frontal Midline Theta (Fmθwink

· 4 Hz Theta

· Too Much Theta

· Theta and Laterality

· Theta/Beta Ratio

Alpha-Theta Brainwaves

Beta Brainwaves

· Introduction

· Stimulants

· Too Much Beta

SMR or Low Beta Brainwaves

·Description

·Physiological Effects of SMR

·Vigilance

·Immobility

·Neurotherapy for ADD and Autism

·Volume and SMR

Other Types of Brainwaves

·Brainwave Therapy

· Brainwaves and Laterality

· Brainwaves and Neurotransmitters

· Smells and Tastes

Types of Brainwaves

Alpha Waves

Description

\"Alpha Brainwaves add images and visuals; you could view this as escape from reality. Too much alpha activity leads to excessive escapes and too many daydreams. Too little makes us human machines:– in motion, but without dreams that direct. ‘Just right,’ adds perfect porridge bowls balanced for healthier lives.\"

Article 'Brainwaves that Talk Back' by Ellen Weber (PDF, 1.3 MB)

\"Our brain uses its 8 ­ 13 cycles per second Alpha waves to idle itself, to rest areas not actively processing and acting on incoming sensory and motor information. While this idling is a normal and favorable phenomenon for the idling brain, if Alpha wave activity becomes 'locked' and inhibited, active participation of vital brain areas cannot occur with efficiency.\"

Crossroads Institute: QEEG Brain Mapping and Neurometrics

“The second type of wave and I should say the most widely known and publicized is the Alpha wave. Most people equate this wave with ESP, meditation, and all sorts of strange ideas.

The truth is the alpha waves account for only half the story. Alpha ranges between 7-12 hertz and is prominent during relaxation mostly with eyes closed, day dreaming, and upon deep self-introspection.

The 1960's made this activity famous when it was found out that cannabis or marijuana, which grew naturally, induced this state in people [Note: I do not advocate drug use]. Scientist have found out that it was the chemical THC that caused this euphoric feeling by being a substitute for the brain's natural pleasure chemicals which are called endorphins.”

'Brain Activity' by Terrance A. Bastian

Low Alpha Waves

Low Alpha Waves: Causes: Radiant Light

\"While watching television, the brain appears to slow to a halt, registering low alpha wave readings on the EEG. This is caused by the radiant light produced by cathode ray technology [CRT, LCDs also?] within the television set [increases serotonin levels?]. Even if you're reading text on a television screen the brain registers low levels of activity. Once again, regardless of the content being presented, television essentially turns off your nervous system.\"

Television: Opiate of the Masses

\"Psychophysiologist Thomas Mulholland found that after just 30 seconds of watching television the brain begins to produce alpha waves, which indicates torpid (almost comatose) [slow] rates of activity. Alpha brain waves are associated with unfocused, overly receptive states of consciousness. A high frequency alpha waves [sic] does not occur normally when the eyes are open. In fact, Mulholland’s research implies that watching television is neurologically analogous to staring at a blank wall.

I should note that the goal of hypnotists is to induce slow brain wave states. Alpha waves a

• Posted

Sorry it's me again with these alpha waves.

Just found this site with some alpha music.

I'm listening to them now and can say will definitely be buying some.

http://www.silenceofmusic.com/mp3/index.html

Thanks millions Chris

Melbi x

• Posted

Melbi..........thats a lot of info!!!!!!!!!! But there is a lot of interesting stuff that I could use to help myself.Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
  • Posted

Morning Katy - and all

Well I turned the computer off and went to bed. Took a while but I did fall asleep - must have been around 2am ish. Didn't wake until 7am

That's 5 solid hours of sleep! :D

Thge alpha/beta thing makes a lot of sense (well to me it does lol) It is Chris we need to thank (not me). He is the one that mantioned it.

Anyway the post that is waiting for a moderator to pass is a link to some Australian composer who has made loads of cd's (alpha music) You can listen to samples of them and they are brilliant. I went ahead and ordered one. I think I ordered 'Silence of Peace'. I really can't wait for it to arrive. I listened to a few samples and they are all so very calming, I started to feel relaxed just listening to the very short samples lol.

If you want to read more about alpha brainwaves just type it into google, that is what I did. There is also some info on it on the site waiting for approval.

Chris you are a Godsend with this knowledge.

Thank you so very, very much.

Katy I would love a chat.

Melbi x

• Posted

smile Good morning Melbi, how are you???? Yep...I agree with you that alpha beta thing sounds about right.. Think I also will try it out!!!

I know this sounds mad,,,,its like I have to prepare myself for my downers....felt good earlier....though my tummy hates me at the moment....Any ideas what I could get my partner for his big birthday :?: :?: :idea: (A :lol: grenade!!!) :idea: :idea:

Oh I am just lonely< okay here we go...I think I am happier today as it is so nice outside. Nearly spring/lambing season :sheep: Winter is nearly gone.............. :coffee: :donut:

Melbi, feel free to talk , anytime, luv Tiny Tears :hug:

• Posted

Sorry Chris.....[b:14501e0010]tHANK YOU FOR THE INFO.....Right I better go ...partner will be home sooon I dont want to get caught on this machine again!!!Take care![/b:14501e0010]
  • Posted

Here's hoping your mood stays higher rather than lower. I know what you mean about preparing yourself - I quite often thing 'where's the catch', false sense of security all that stuff.

I woke very groggy this morning (comfortably numb) Have you ever heard that track by pink floyd?

I was just about to get into a right state because I couldnt for the life of me remember if I had just taken my citalopram this morning - I got the packet ready to take one and a drink but did I take it?

Daughter asked what was wrong so told her. She calmly said that's easy - count how many tablets are left!

Did that and it showed I hadn't yet taken it today. Why didn't I think about counting them?

Not knowing what your partner is into Katy I can't really suggest anything - how about an alpha music cd? :wink:

How can I go back to work next week if I can't get out of a bed in a mornings? I didn't expect to be off for more than 2 weeks but now I can't imagine the doctor letting me go back yet. I won't lie to her or push the work thing because I've (in my mind) worked extremely hard over the last 2 weeks to try and help myself along with the citalopram to overcome this awful anxiety and panic attacks. Looks like work will just have to wait even longer for my return. Do I really want to return?

Do I have a choice? Being the only bread winner and having a 6 week (oh she is 7 weeks old today :lol: )old baby in the house I have to return to work. :roll:

I don't know what to do today - bathroom needs cleaning - so does my mind! Spray Cif bathroom cleaner into my mind LOL.

Should I just sit around all day or make myself do some housework?

I could go for a walk - I must admit after all the effort yesterday morning to get ready and go out - once outside I really enjoyed it. It's just all that effort and anxiety and fear is a lot to cope with just to go outside. Keep telling myself there is nothing to fear - remind myself how good it felt to be out and about yesterday.

What a mess! I'm a mess! Why is my life always a mess!

Why do some people seem to sail through life and I always seem to get all the crap thrown my way. That isn't fair!

I have just looked on limewire for some alpha music but all it throws up is junk!

I will just have to wait until my cd arrives.

I did another search this morning - I typed alpha brainwaves + music into google and found another site that sells John Levines CD's at a lower price. Stupid me though closed it without saving it and now I can't find it again - or did I and it said for sale in usa only. I can't remember now.

No I'm sure is was in £'s not $'s

One of my wonderful cats gave my back a massage this morning. I was lay in my stomach in bed - hiding under the duvet away from daytime when he pounced on the bed climbed onto my back and started 'pooching' that is what we call it when they do that kneading thing with their front paws. Oh it was heaven - wondering if I smothered my back in catnip if he would do that more often :shock:

Oh well I best drag myself out of my bed and go watch the baby while daughter gets showered and dressed. Health visitor is calling in to see them today.

Besides I need the loo so bad - fed up of rocking now lol :oops:

I'll come back later.

Melbi x

• Posted

:cry: :cry: Melbi,,, I am on a spiral again!!! I wrote you a lenghty message earlier but wierd....its vanished. Cant stopscratches my flaky knees and now they are bleeding![b:bfb1ea5bfc]

Congratulations on your new baby...babies are brill!!!!

smile smile

I love it when my cat does that thing too...I used to think thats when it goes into its happy world, like its grooming its mother...looking for some milk....or something......but yep...its a good way of getting a massage!!! Might try that with the old cat nip....mind you my big fat cat, (iam sure its going to turn into a tiger!!!!) growls really loudly when we bring catknip into the house.

I still cant believe I actually reprted everything yesterday!11Got to go my knee is ouring....whoops!!!!!

[/b:bfb1ea5bfc]

• Posted

Katy yesterday is long gone - you succeeded - you will next time - you are going to go again aren't ylou?

I succeeded today - I fianlly managed to ring doctors for an appointment for tomorrow - got a huge shock when receptionist said better still you can come today! I panicked - she must have sensed that and said it isnt until 4pm and just think nyou wont have to clme tomorrow. That did it for me - thought about sleeping tonight - more chance now if I'm not getting worked up about having to go see doctor tomorrow.

Daughter has said she will come with me - that has made me feel less panicky.

Will she increase the dose? Take me off it altogether? Will she demand I now pull myself together and go back to work - even though it was her that insisted I didnt go to work in the first place. I dont think I'm ready to go back to work but I feel guilty being paid when I'm at home.

I love my work - but at the moment the thought of going daunts me.

Katy - stop picking your knees! :roll:

One of my other cats has epliepsy and just had a seizure - why does he always choose a time when we are trying to be organised. Now I feel we are way, way behind on things.

Still, least he came out of it without having to have a dose of diazepam. More for me LOL - Only joking! Vet keeps a very close eye on his prescriptions.

Melbi x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.