Newbie - again

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

I tried orlistat about a year ago, but a couple of weeks after starting my family life went to hell in a handbasket - we live on the south coast but family up in Yorkshire/Lancs, a cancer scare, a breakdown, a death due to medical negligence all in a couple of months, too many things to have to deal with all at once and think about dieting. I'm the eldest daughter so it mainly lands on my doorstep to sort out, despite being 5 hours drive away and having 3 kids of my own!

Anyway, I started again today. Took a lot of convincing to get the tablets - the doctor I had an appointment with has the attitude 'well, if my (size 8 - snigger) jeans feel a bit tight I just eat a bit less so you should do the same' :roll: I basically told her that despite her thoughts on the tablets, this is an informed decision that I am making for me, I fit the criteria and am entitled to have a choice. And that diabetes, heart disease, and other obesity related illnesses are very expensive to treat, more so that the cost of the tablets.

I am the heaviest I've ever been, but am determined.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Good Luck Kay

Just remember what you want and you will get there just try and keeped focus which I know is hard at times but it's time to do things for you.

Keep us posted on your progress. :D

• Posted

Good luck, it sounds like you are doing it for all the right reasons and witht eh right frame of mind so I'm sure you'll soon show your doctor that it was the right thing for you.

S

• Posted

Thanks for the welcome and the good luck wishes!

I haven't had any of the evil side effects I've read about (yet) - have been a little constipated but nothing else. I'm trying to take things a day at a time, and not get on the scales, but I do feel a little less bloated. So far, so good !

• Posted

You wont get the side effects stick if you stick to no more than 30g of fat a day. You need to drink plenty of water that will also help with the constipation. You're right to stay away from the scales as your weight can fluctuate depending on the time of day, time of month etc. If you do go on try and not go on more than once a week and go on the same time ie first thing in the morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.