Newbie and scared!

Posted , 6 users are following.

i went to the GYN after having a heavy period for 15 days. He ordered an ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound. Results show complex cysts with septation and debris on both ovaries. He is going to do a D&C with hyperscope as well as go in laparoscopically to look at the cysts on both ovaries. I asked if he'd be removing the cysts and he said if he needed to yes and perhaps the ovaries as well.  The doc said it's probably nothing to be too concerned about but I've been reading things online that scare the crap out of me. 

I am 49 with two children. Health is good. No other problems. I go between being positive that everything will be fine to wrost case scenario. The surgery should take place beginning of August. My husband tries to reassure me that I'll be fine but I'm a mess and it's hard to just get through the day without having a cry. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Been there! I had my hysterectomy in June for a complex cyst ended up being 15 cm. It is what it is and worrying won't make it disappear. The internet is a major horror show and everyone told me to stay away but there I was at 2:00 am reading all the the things I didn't really want to know! Trust your doc. Make lists and plans. Look forward and up.
    • Posted

Thank you for responding and your wise words. How are you doing now?  Was the recovery from the hysterectomy long?  
    • Posted

I am 53 so recovery is ongoing. But I'm back teaching and I do get sore. Since ir was a vertical incision my abs are totaled still so my back does all the core work. I'm mindful of the 10 lb rule and I rest when I can. Going in mine was questionable and I had a gynoncologist do the surgery so there wasa path report done right then and then full report after. Drink a lot of water after to flush out the anesthesia.
    • Posted

I'm wondering why mine hasn't mentioned a gynooncologist. There are so many questions to ask. Have you received the results yet?  
    • Posted

I rode my horses last week for the first time and hsve more energy. I still get sore off I do too much. I have to remind myself that my back is supporting my abs now! My gyn onc remoVed anything questionable and I will be receiving treatment as it was an endometrioid adenocarcinoma. It wasn't in my plans for this year but it is what it is. I hope your surgery had or has a positive outcome! Keep us posted.
  • Posted

Hi.

I cam completely understand where you are coming from. My story is almost identical to yours.I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 16 days ago via a vertical cut. They took my uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and both ovaries. They also removed 2 large cysts and lots of endometriosis matter.Altough I am a little sore still, i have felt really well. I honestly believe this has been the best thing I could have done. I am only 40 so will need to start on HRT and have a meeting with my gynie consultant on 19th August. I get the results from too then as everything was sent off for analysis but they have said they are pretty sure they are all benign. I have been told recovery is 8 weeks and that's how long they have initially signed me off for. This can be extended if I need it.

I remember having all the same emotions as you. I convinced myself I had cancer, I spent days crying. I think going through this process is fairly normal. Just make sure you don't bottle your feelings up. As previous poster said, make a list of questions to ask consultant. Stop reading up on Internet. It's a scary place. If you have any more questions please ask. I will answer them if I can.

Take care.

Julie x

• Posted

Julie.....

ive been crying on and off since Tuesday when I meet with the doc. I asked for a hysterectomy and his response was "we don't know if there are any weapons of mass destruction yet". So for now he wants to do the D&C with the scope and go in laparoscopically to look at the cysts on both ovaries. I'm fine with all that. Surgery doesn't scare me. What does is reading that complex cysts are the cancerous kind. 

I was was so upset last night.  My logical side says to be positive and stop worrying so much until you know something for sure. The emotional side is running around with her hair on fire. I'm thinking of calling and asking for a r/x to deal with all this anxiety. I still need to go to work, not fall apart in front of my kids. They are 23 and 20. Our daughter has special needs and is very hifuncting but I am her rock and she needs me. Thank goodness for my husband. 

julie do you know why your doc decided on a full hysterectomy?  I'd be pleased if mine did. Get that crap out and be done with it are my feelings. 

• Posted

Hi

Ok...first thing and I know it's easier said than done...you have to stop worrying.

I had a complex cyst removed and to cut a long story short lost my ovary and fallopian tube. I looked forward to what I thought was my last Christmas and began planning what would happen once I was gone.

I read everything I could..usually in the middle of the night and scared myself to death.

It turned out to be an endometriona...

Please please relax it is the nit knowing that I is the frightening part. .

Axxx

• Posted

I am 49 as well.  I just had the bi-lateral ovaries and tubal removal June 23rd.  They did a lot of biopsies which I actually get back this Thursday.  
    • Posted

Patty,

Just checking in to see how you are. Did you get your results back?

Boo

• Posted

If it's the cancer risk that scares you have you had the CA125 test, it gives you an idea of the likelihood of the cysts being cancerous? I haven't cried since I was told I have a 9cm cyst (but I'm not sure whether I am just bottling it up tbh) ask you doctor for the CA125 if you haven't already to give you some peace of mind. And thank God that you have already had children. I am in my early 20's and facing the prospect of loosing an ovary sad Live by each day and focus on the surgery on the day. Good luck please let me know how you get on.
    • Posted

Regarding the CA125 test...this us nit necessarily a clear indication. If you have endometriosis it can also give a very high reading.

Axx

• Posted

Hi All,

Surgery is this Thursday and I'm looking forward to it. The doc doesn't think it's cancer.  Said it's very unlikely. I feel much better now that he feels it not a strong possibility. However, I am optimistic and not going to the dark side as much as before. I just want to have the surgery and hopefully it will put an end to having these god awful periods. The first was 15 days and this last one was about 17.  It was so heavy that it would surge out of my. Forget tampons. It was pads the entire time. 

Did id my ore ops last Friday and found out I'm mildly anemic. No surprise with the amount of blood loss. I won't return to work for 2-3 weeks depending on what the doc does. 

Thank you all for your kind words and sharing your story. 

Boo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.