Newbie needing help in Spain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi just been reading some threads on this group and hoping to get some help as you all seem a friendly knowledgable bunch cheesygrin I live in Spain and have been having what I would class as peri menopausal symptoms for at least three years had my fsh levels etc tested two years ago and the doctor said ask was normal said try soya, which I did, slight change nothing much since then have tried vit B complex but lately symptoms of hot flushes anxiety and insomina are almost unbearable and I can't get any help had the leveks checked again, went back to dr this week she still says they are fine just gave me some anti depressants which I am not comfortable taking, as I don't think that's the problem. Is there anything else I can try I also seem to be putting in weight without changing my eating habits. Really fed up and no help from my husband as he "doesn't do woman's stuff" as he puts it 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi breezy day how lovely to live in Spain nice and warm. I too put on weight without actually changing my eating habits. Just done the five two diet and lost  a stone it's easy to do and you lose a pound a week every week . I'm trying natural so can only recommend that. Magnesium calms  marjoram tea calms valerian taken at night helps insomnia . Hit flushes don't know I'm still getting loads and have tried most things staying calm wearing layers standing in the fridge !!! Men don't do women stuff they might if they had what we have had to

Put up with !! 

• Posted

Thanks for replying Liz yes lovely and warm, but not good for hot flushes!! I have tried the 5.2 and it does work for me but it just seemed amazing that I put on about 6 pounds in 2 months, I wondered if it was the black cohosh so have stopped that as it also seemed to upset my stomach, and didn't really help that much. So hard isn't it and not made easier by my husbands comments he just says go to the doctor but they are no  help, HRT is very frowned on here and giving me anti depressants seems a bit over the top. Oh well will try to get some magnesium calms and valerian, thanks again
    • Posted

Hi breezy

HRT frowned upon.. ? what makes you say that.

while here i have seen two not so nice docs and they shoved it at me,  and the Gyno has suggested a gentle one just for my delicate needs.

some HRT can even be bought OTC at farmacia ..

so not sure why you say very frowned upon .. maybe you have a useless doc theres plenty of them in spain .. 

see a spanish doctor ' Gyno' 

jay xx

• Posted

Hi well my husband works here so we are just seeing the spanish state doctors and they told me that they do not think HRT is safe because of cancer scares etc and rarely give it out, plus she said my levels said I wasn't even in peri menopause which is highly unlikely as I have only had one period in a year which was very light but before that had been regular and flooding for years! in fact on my records they can see I had to be investigated as I was flooding so much I couldn't leave the house, so no periods has been the one bonus of this whole thing :-) but there are a lot of downsides. The local private doctors here seem very expensive 50 euros just for a consultation let alone anything else and we just can't afford that
    • Posted

Hi Breezy

get some B6 tablets from the farmacia Breezy..

they are good for PMT, Peri and menopause ..

they are called Benadon 300mg B6

but they are strong 300mg .... you need to split them to 150mg..

they are approx 4€ for 20 so if you split them you have 40 days ..

type well woman clinic in google and your area in spain 

i dont know what area you are..

normally its a fixed fee ... and covers the lot..

like i said FSH bloods are negative always in early peri..

but if you say you have had one in a year and its negative then

i would see a gyno and have a scan they do it vaginally let them check your uterine wall thickness and ovaries.. they can comfirm where you are in menopause .

i know i would ..

jay xx

• Posted

Thanks will try the pills, and check out well women clinic I am in North Costa Blanca are out of interest.smile
    • Posted

Hi breezy day you are welcome we are all in it together. Jay is a mine of information on here and all the ladies are so helpful and welcoming. You are not on your own in this x 
  • Posted

Morning Breezy and welcome biggrin

What are your antidepressants? I actually think you may find they help but this is such a difficult time for some of us. I've just had a horrendous weekend myself, insomnia, aching joints etc.

The other girls on here arre great, I have commenced Vitamin B12 5000 mcgs as advised By Jay, she said JARROWS is the best and also Vitamin B6 150mgs

I am still waiting for these to work, only just started taking but I feel more positive

Stick with it and us on here, I feel supported and we have a laugh too,

Mrs M wink 

• Posted

Thanks for the welcome, so nice just to have people going through the same thing on the other end of a computer, I live in a bit of a quiet place and don't see many people but be good to have some new friends on here to help through this strange time. So many weird symptons its hard to explain to people, but I am just not me anymore!
  • Posted

hi breezy

i too live in Spain.. 

breezy your FSH levels arent worth checking in the docs eyes unless your having minimal periods a year .. its always a false negative as your hormones are too erractic up and down.. only when your periods decline to approx 3-4 a year will that test show peri menopausal... and after no periods in 12 months ' post menopause'

in Spain there are well woman clinic checks 'Gynos and very cheap for the whole well woman check ..

i saw a good one and had Colposcopy, smear, vaginal scan saw ovaries, uterus, and a 3D bearst scan (150€) and he discussed menopause etc as well ..

a Gyno is the only one to check you properly and treat you as they understand better than a GP..

what i will say... Spanish heat will make hot flushes worse... a hot flush is the way the body cools down in menopause .. My hot flushes returned this year in May and been terrible ... I hadnt had a flush for years ... 

jayxx

• Posted

Morning Jay,

you sound on the ball as usual (you need your own website)lolcheesygrinbiggrin

I too am waiting for vitamins to kick in

Have a good day,

Mrs M

• Posted

Hi Mrs Merm

hahahahaha yep on the ball 

just about to down all my supplements .. 

get a brew ...

😀

jay xx

• Posted

Jayneejay,

I started taking the B6 200 mg, is that enough? Also I noticed B12 5000 mgs in the discussion, I take 1500 mg which has helped a little. Is 5000 ok to take? Also take 1000 Vit D and Vitamin E. Do you recommend anything else? You seem to have down your homework! I do trust your advice...hope you have a good day dear...

• Posted

Nancy

200mg of B6 may be too much ..

100mg is generally the most popular .. i take 150mg ..

B12 Jarrows.  is 5000mcg ( not mg) 

Calcium & magnesium is good for meno aswell

and Vit C 

jay xx

• Posted

Great morning reading through this forum and I already feel better, off to get my B6 this evening but feeling much more positive already thanks ladies x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.