Newbie, query query query???????

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

Am starting Orlistat on Monday (anniversary meal saturday so not wanting to spoil it by ending up on the loo!!) and notice from some of the postings that eating salmon seems to be an issue because the drug does not differentiate between good and bad fats. I tend to eat a lot of fish when I am dieting and am wondering if there are any fish that are less likely to give me any nasty side effects?

Also any advice would be greatly appreciated in helping a compulsive eater and depressive change the seriously bad habits of a lifetime!!!! Would love to say goodbye to my lard arse for good.

Bigbird :cry:

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I am also fairly new to orlistat. Took it for 4 days and noticed quite alot of orange oil. Didn't take it for a week because, same as you, had birthday, anniversary and was going away camping and didn't want to spend all weekend on the loo....

Eventually started it again on Tuesday and can honestly say it hasn't affected me at all so far. Had homemade salmon and cucumber sandwiches with flora spread on wholemeal bread Thursday lunchtime expecting a reaction but nothing. Had frozen roast beef, frozen roast potatoes, two frozen yorkshire's, carrots and peas for tea also expecting a reaction and nothing. Had cathedral city mature cheddar cheese and cucumber sandwiches on white bread today and uncle bens sweet & sour chicken and rice tonight and still nothing.

DON'T KNOW WHETHER I'VE LOST ANY WEIGHT THOUGH.....but so far no reaction.

I'm just going to play it by ear. I'm sure i'll notice if something I eat disagrees with the bluey's but until then i'm not going to panic over eating anything and learn by my mistakes.

Perhaps i'm just lucky or just eating sensibly (which would be a first) without realising it. Back to work next week so it may all change with rising stress levels and snacking again.

Don't know whether it makes a difference but I always take my bluey directly after finishing my meal and not before or during like some.

I also smoke so perhaps that is also helping against having a reaction - who knows?

I'll be interested in seeing the other replies in response to your query.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, sounds like your eating relatively normally so thats a good start. I smoke as well but am trying to cut down.

Its seems a regular thing that the doctors and nurses dont give out that much information. Mine didnt give me any advice on what to eat, what I have learnt so far has been from this website so thanks to everyone on here, your comments have been invaluable. :D

Would be great to hear how you get on with what you have been eating. I suppose the orange oil was an after effect of what was left in your bowel, not looking forward to that if I misbehave and am getting a job lot of bleach in and air freshner for the wind hehe :shock:

We will see, watch this space.............

• Posted

hi hopetobeslimmer all i can say is wow.................lol if i ate any of the things u had mentioned id be in the loo for sure lol but just goes to show it affects people in different ways.count urself lucky uhavent had the awful side effects!!!! i can eat salmon on brown bread but only small amount.good luck xxx
  • Posted

Errrr! I have now had my reaction to the crap I ate over the last few days - not too bad though mainly the orange oil - loads of!
  • Posted

Hi there Big Bird

I eat salmon and other fish regularly with no excessive side effects. I think it may be to do with how it is cooked and what you have with it.

I usually have cous cous or rice and loads of green leafy veg. I tend to bake my fish in the oven and do not add any oil at all.

Hope this helps

Laups

• Posted

Thanks Lauper,

I tend to cook with very little oil if any at all so we will see.........

From what you guys are saying it looks like it will be hit and miss, everyone reacting to the same foods in different ways, some being able to eat more than others. Knowing my luck it will all be pear shaped, I dont tend to do things by halves and if anyone is going to react, it will be me!!!!!

Will let you all know what happens, wish me luck :? Think im going to need it. Luckily the loo's are only a few yards away from my office so not too far to run hehe.x

• Posted

[quote:8230908b5b=\"dawn39\"]hi hopetobeslimmer all i can say is wow.................lol if i ate any of the things u had mentioned id be in the loo for sure lol but just goes to show it affects people in different ways.count urself lucky uhavent had the awful side effects!!!! i can eat salmon on brown bread but only small amount.good luck xxx[/quote:8230908b5b]

I agree dawn! If i ate any of that i wouldnt lose any weight plus would be as sick as a dog!

Hey BB i steam my fish and have it with boiled potatoes and veg, it fills me up and is very good for you. I think if it looks colourful and nice you ar emore likely to want to eat it

I think that these tablets should train you into eating different things, that you have to change your diet habits and not just eat the same things as before. I am taking this as an opportunity to try different things and experiment! Whats the worst that can happen :wink:

• Posted

I can only imagine what the worst thing to happen could be :oops:

Am dreading this but I have to give it a go. It's like when you do a standard diet like weight watchers, slimming world etc, if you cheat then you wont lose weight. On these tablets not only will you not lose weight but by god will your body let you know when you have eaten something you shouldnt!!!! Not a case of dipping your hand in the cookie jar and pretending you didnt eat it anymore.

Any advice regarding the first week would be much appreciated as like most of us, I still have to go to work and dont want to embarrass myself if I can help it. I had the usual no info from the doctors.

xx

• Posted

Hi Bigbird

All I can advise is to ensure you drink lots of water and that everything you eat has less than 5g total fat per 100g. I have been on them 4 weeks with no orange oil or emergency trips and have lost 6lbs. I have not starved myself or given up a glass of wine either. I have PCOS so weightloss is slower than those without but I am delighted to have lost what I have so far. The tabs stop me reaching for choc,crisps, biscuits etc or garlic bread and chips etc.

Give it a go and see how you do.

Good luck

KJ

• Posted

Well people, I bottled it!!!! sad

Have been full of cold and decided now wasnt the best time to start as I was feeling so bad and didnt want to add to it with any possible side effects.

So........today........I promise is the first day. :D I am just eating my breakfast and my little blue pill is sat next to me about to go down with some water!!!!

We will see..........................................

• Posted

Hi BigBird and welcome on the Train

Jane

\"A moment on the Lips is a lifetimeon the Hips\"

God I must have had a thousand moments :!:

• Posted

:lol: Hi Jane,

Am with you on that one honey, when I laugh, I wobble and can feel it moving down my body like a slinky!!!!!

I cant wait to be able to laugh or cough without feeling like a huge jelly on acid!!!!!!!

:wink:

Tooooooot toooooot, all aboard the train on the way to shrinksville!!!!!

Bigbird

xxxx

• Posted

\"cant wait to be able to laugh or cough without feeling like a huge jelly on acid!!!!!!! \"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Made my day!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.