Newbie seeking advice

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the forums so please bare with me. I'm 35 years old and have been taking escitalopram for just over a year having been on citalopram for a few years. I was originally diagnosed with depression and medicated accordingly but am now in the throws of an anxiety disorder that generally involves me vomiting in the mornings and feeling shakey tingly and not wanting to be alone etc. along with weight loss inability to sleep and constant desire to run away but from what I'm not sure.

i am awaiting a physch assessment to try and determine what the problem is having been signed off work after struggling and bursting into tears which is not a good look. My anxieties revolve around being alone and dying / separation which is weird as I have a loving close family and a loving girlfriend. Anyway my doctor prescribed me buspirone and valium and I was on valium for a couple of weeks but have now stopped so just escitalopram 20 mg and buspirone 30 mg daily. 

My doctor thinks they may try me on pregabalin but I am scared having read the threads and seeing as it's addictive etc any opinions would be welcome as I want the old me back that would happily go anywhere and do anything without worrying I won't be coming back. Sorry for waffling just reaching out for some help I guess. I have had counselling (which had me in floods of tears) CBT which seems to work when I'm not anxious but not sure what to expect and should I go for pregabalin. I am a 35 yr old male trying to get my life back. Thanks for listening 

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I think the main focus should be on therapy - not necessarily medication.  Medication certainly has its uses, but the way forward is therapy. There are other types of therapy too, CBT is often given first, but for many including myself its not really the best option. I use CAT, but there are others. Maybe discussing the different types would help?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks jmcg, I agree with you that therapy is the answer but I'm just curious as to what to try next. To give further info my anxieties first surfaced some years ago after a painful breakup in relationship. Strangely it started as a fear of flying but I think that is a mask since I have always enjoyed it but can't handle the images and thoughts that my anxiety causes where this is concerned. I recently attented off causes and had to be doped up on valium but once we were flying I was laughing and joking strange. However now the anxiety is spreading like a "black fog" into other areas.

as mentioned I tried CBT but for me that only works when my mind is not racing in an anxious state. Counselling was ok but just ended up balling my eyes out 95% of the time. Also tried several sessions of hypnotherapy whereby the therapist told me it was a confidence issue but whatever it is it's killing me. Would be interested to know what cba is ?? I guess I'm just hoping the physch can give me a diagnosis and the medication will allow me to function and then put any strategies into place as such. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

If you want a proper diagnosis, then that needs to be a psychiatrist, they are the only qualified professionals allowed to diagnose mental health issues (complex).  I had a diagnosis but to be honest, it makes little difference. It all comes down to what you want to do - medications for me are not the answer, they resolve nothing.  CAT is cognitive analytical therapy. It allows you and the therapist to look at the past to find out why we think and act in situations now based on past influence. Ive found it very useful, CBT for me was garbage, I didn't find it at all useful
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the explanation sounds quite interesting, am currently waiting for an appt with a psychiatrist so hopefully that will help, wishing you all the best 
      Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up