Newly Diagnosed

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I went to the doctor yesterday after some miserable symptoms (pain, burning, itch and an infected hair follicle that I thought was herpes but luckily no odor). After a swab the doctor told me that I had BV and gave me a prescription for Flagyl for 7 days. I've been doing some research online and it looks like this can be something that comes back repetedly.

My doctor told me to start taking a probiotic daily to help get the good bacteria back but I'm still a little concerned if that's enough.

Does anyone have any advice for what to do as a newbie to this? Is the probiotic/antibiotic the best course of action or should I do something else?

Also - I am taking a trip to see my boyfriend on the 19th - I really hope all is cleared up before then. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sarah. BV isn't very pleasant at all. I have had it on 2 occasions and now have a probiotic drink every day and it hasn't come back. Has your doctor given your boyfriend any treatment? If you had intercourse prior to your diagnosis he'll need treatment otherwise he will reinfect you.
    • Posted

BV is not a sexually transmitted disease.  Her boyfriend cant give it to her he can only through her ph off.  Semen has a ph of 7+.  Normal ph of a womans vagina is 4.5.
    • Posted

I know it isn't but some doctors recommend the partner having treatment as well
    • Posted

I haven't seen him in a few months (he is working out of country for awhile) so it's not necessary. 
    • Posted

Did your BV come back right away after the first treatment or did it show up later?
    • Posted

No it was a few months later but I hadn't started to take the probiotics after the first bout. After the second time I did some research and read about how probiotics helped prevent BV and that was 3 years ago.
    • Posted

Okay thanks, I will definitely start taking probiotics now. smile
    • Posted

Just to add sarah I have periods of time when I don't take the probiotics for instance when I'm on holiday and I've not had any sign of a recurrence.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.