newly diagnosed

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi I have just been diagnosed with diverticular disease. I was having left sided pains and stools changed colour for a while. had a ct scan and it showed up this disease. Im worried because now I have to have a colonoscopy as part of my colon has collapsed, has anybody else had this. I havent had any bleeding

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine

Sorry to hear you have DD.  Are you USA or UK based?  Did they prescribe antibiotics for the inflammation/infection, and if so what?  A colonoscopy is standard procedure in both countries as part of the diagnosis.  In the UK it is usually done first, once the inflammation has cleared up (hence the delay), and a CT Scan only done afterwards if the colonoscopy can't procede.  In the USA, I understand it is usually the CT Scan first, with the colonoscopy as a follow up.  Just make sure they have your full medical history of your collapsed colon before they start.  If they find they are unable to procede due to your colon problems, they will simply terminate the procedure.  I had two aborted colonoscopies and instead had the CT scan and a Barium Enema.

You will find this Forum a goldmine of useful information, explaining the disease and how to manage it, as you will have it for life.  I went 6 years between my first flare and 2nd and lived a completely normal life in between, just watching my diet and taking a daily stool softener.  We are all different, have different trigger foods and different ways of managing.  At first it might seem a bit daunting, as it is not just a case of take a few pills and you will feel fine in a few days.  It may take a few weeks or longer, but it does get better.  It is just a case of trial and error to sort out what suits you best.

• Posted

Thanks im in the UK had CT scan with dye injected which showed up DD then ultra sound scan to see how my other organs were and all fine now colonoscopy but thats only to see why part of colon has collapsed
    • Posted

Hi Christine

If you had pain and the CT showed diverticula then it certainly sounds like you had an attack of diverticulitis.  I suggest you click in the article on the page, under Related Information "Diverticula (including Diverticulosis, Diverticular Disease and Diverticulitis)" as it will explain everything about the disease.  The terms are all so similar it is easy to get confused.  It will help you, as will this forum.  As to why part of the colon collapsed, I'm afraid I have no ideas, but I hope you get answers.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up