Newly diagnosed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, 

I was told last Friday that I have an underactive thyroid and low Ferritin levels. 

I've been put on 50mcg Levothyroxine a day and was advised to take an over the counter iron supplement. 

I've had to stop taking the iron as it was giving me splitting headaches so I'll see the GP again next week for more advice. 

I just wondered if anyone else was in a similar situation?? 

My TSH was 5.7 

My Ferritin was 8.8

Thanks 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Are you sure it's the iron, not the meds? If it's the iron, maybe try a different brand.

I got horrible headaches from the meds. Horrible side effects!

Not quite as bad, I get headaches that coincide with a thyroid flairup.

• Posted

I'm pretty sure it's the iron as I did some tests where I took it some days and not others and I only get the headaches on the days after I took it. 

• Posted

I had trouble with iron pills too.   They made me nauseous, headaches and constipation.  What helped for me, was to split the tablets into 4 pieces and took only 1 of the pieces at a time.  The first few days, I would take only one of the quarter pieces and every few days raise it to another piece, until I was at one whole pill a day. 
  • Posted

I have just had my dose doubled to 50mg Levothyroxine, was diagnosed approx 2 months ago, I was on a starter dose for the 1st 6 weeks. I have been on prescribed iron supplements most of my life. I was told by my G.P. but after reading up on it, if you take iron within 3-4 hrs of taking Levothyroxine, the iron can reduce the effectiveness of Levothyroxine. I also read that drinking tea or coffee within an hour can effect it too.

My G.P. was fully aware of my iron as it is prescribed by the surgery.

Hope this helps.

Tracy

• Posted

Yeah I've been taking my Levothyroxine in the morning and iron in the evening so almost 12hrz apart. 

I don't drink tea or coffee so it's def not that. Thanks for the thoughts though 

• Posted

Tanngales and SweetMelissa make good points. Many things can interfere with thyroid meds. Low cal sweeteners are another one that can wreak havoc on thyroid dosing.
  • Posted

What type of iron was it? Iron Bisglycinate is much gentler on the system. B12 (methylcobalamin) could be required to help absorption, too.
    • Posted

I have no idea, it was just an iron supplement I bought in Sainsbury's as gp didn't prescribe anything. 

I'm going to ask for a b12 test next time I go for bloods. Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.