Newly diagnosed with anxiety. Need help.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 24. I'm a mom of a wonderful one year old. I lost my mom 9 moths ago. And I just got married to my daughters father and are living on our own. And I swear I feel like I'm dying. My Chest hurts and I feel like I will pass out at any moment. I was on lexapro. But my therapist and I agree medication wasn't the way to go. But I need help. I haven't seen my therapist in a week and I'm constantly feeling like I'm going to go at any moment. It's the scariest feeling. Do you guys have any pointers on calming the anxiety. Where I can function and not worry about this attack overwhelming my life.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I also have chest pains regularly. I'm having some today and it's terrifying me. Is there a way to just lay down and watch a funny show on your own, color, journal, or go for a walk? I know excersise is the last thing we want to do when we have chest pains, but it really does help.

Right now I have the ones that are under my armpit and what feels like directly over my heart. Where are yours? I'm assuming your doctor has given you cardiac tests to make sure it really is just anxiety?

• Posted

It's just my chest and it's like an elephant is sitting on my chest. I've had multiple ekgs and X-rays. And have been told I'm healthy. But I get pains in my get and my neck and start to freak out which obviously makes it that much worse. I try laying down and my mind just races. I try to go for walks with my daughter and I'll still have some anxiety. Ugh.

• Posted

Its the worst when you are told yohre healthy and still don't believe it. I know how that one feels. Do you like lavender? Lavender essential oil is great to calm you, along with chamomile tea. The oil I just rub on my temples and it slowly calms me..

Have you found any triggers for it at all? Foods, time of day? It could be from picking up your child all of the time. I had noooo chest pains at all (maybe once a year) before my son. Now with postpartum anxiety, its constant. They said since my tests have all came back clear, I'm either stretching out my muscles too much from picking him up (he's 14 months) or I'm literally imagining all of my pain.

• Posted

I'm told that I'm giving myself all of the pain. That the anxiety is making me feel all these things. My daughter just turned a year literally today. It's supposed to be a happy day and still I have felt horrible. Idk if it's because I am constantly thinking about my mom and her passing. That may be the reason why. I have some good days but lately seems all bad. I haven't thought of using essential oils. I have been told that sometimes drinking a hot tea before bed might help. I think that might be what I'll do tonight. Thank you for that tip I will definitely try it. It just sucks knowing I am okay yet feeling like I am not.

• Posted

Have you had counselling for the passing of your Mother? And dbt might help you out..its a form of therapy and when trauma is involved it works better then cbt.

• Posted

I go to therapy once a week. And we talk about a lot of topics by my mom is always number one. I tried medication but I kept feeling worse. So I'm doing this without it. I just hope that I can be normal again.

• Posted

Dont label as normal or abnormal you have had a rough year woth a big changes. Give yourself a break here. One day at a time. Your Mom would be very very upset you are so sad. I can tell you as a Mom i would want my kids to enjoy there lives and be the best they could be. look at it this way you have an official gaurdian angel with you. You need acceptance and more understanding in all this  so that will bring you peace of mind.theres a great book to help you with this . Look in your messages. It will be upper right corner and be in red..messages.
  • Posted

Hi Samantha,

I am so sorry that you are going through tough time. I am sure losing you mom has been traumatic. I personally know how you feel because I have been there several times in my life. I couldn't eat, sleep, go to work or focus on anything. And it felt like I am never gonna feel normal again. But you have to believe me when I tell you that you will feel normal again and you will get through this soon. Just be patient and don't lose hope. Our brains waves get distraughted when we go through certain traumas in life or sometimes for no particular reason but it has the power to heal itself you provide it with healthy nutrition and enough sleep. If you can talk to your doctor about sertraline (Zoloft). I have been on it for many years and it has worked wonders for me.

You will get through this Samantha! There will be a day that you won't even remember these days. Trust me. smile xoxo

• Posted

My condolences about your mom. I was diagnosed with OCD/Anxiety 4 months ago, but have suffered OCD for all my life. I to get horrible chest pain and fatigue. I can tell you this much, our brains are in a constant fight or flight mode, so when we get these kinds of pains our body automatically freaks out cause the pain is so bad, but in reality it's our mind playing tricks on us. I've been to the ER 4 times thinking I was having a heart attack and each time it was all anxiety related. They ran every test they possible could to rule out any heart problems. The best advice I can give you is not to rush to the worst possible conclusion about your pain. I know it's really tough to do and I'm still trying to figure out how to not get really scared by it. Medication hasn't worked for me so I do breathing techniques that usually calm me down. If you need any more help with your anxiety feel free to message me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.