News of bad bend

Posted , 12 users are following.

i have been to new consultant today.  X ray ok so must be adhesions.  As I thought. MUA is only offer so I am going for it.  Really not brave so hope for the best.

9 months after TKR.  

Really want this to work.  

2 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Carol

Glad to hear that you've got a decision finally.

I had MUAs on both of mine, some months after the TKR.  The procedure wasn't a problem and I didn't really have any pain afterwards.

The first one was very successful and I really made progress afterwards.  The second one didn't straighten my knee and I am having real problems with it - my consultant thinks that I have excess scar tissue.

I really hope that you get a good result from yours and start to feel normal again.

Patsy

• Posted

good luck with it  i hope it goes well make sure you have plenty of pain meds for after as you want to give this your best shot  if your in pain after you will not be able to work hard to keep the bend  and i mean heavy hitters no paracetmol  xxx
  • Posted

great news Carol, I think the MUA is probably your best chance, good luck.
  • Posted

Hope you get a good result!  Lots of people say that it isn't too bad. . so let's hope in your case you sail through it with flying colours!
  • Posted

Oh you  are all so positive!  Thank you    
  • Posted

Good news Carol, hopefully it will help. I have my MUA and surgery to remove adhesions at the end of July. I'm bizarrely looking forward to it. The way I see it is I've had so many complications that this is my best shot at a straight leg, without it my outlook is slim.

I know you're nervous but it's just one more bump in the road xxx

• Posted

I might be a bit thick but what is MUA? Finished my physio sessions yesterday and feel a bit lost today.  Got a 105 bend but cannot fully straighten my leg. 5wks post TKR . Still very stiff and swollen. Any suggestions? 
  • Posted

I doubt if many of us knew what a MUA was until we were threatened with one!!!  Its a manipulation under anaesthesia . . the surgeon bends and sgtraigthens the knee until it moves easily . .uses quite a lot of force to acheive that.  Afterwards they usually put you in one of the perpetual motion things whiuch keep it moving 24 hours . . then it's up to you to keep it moving and not let it tighten up again.
    • Posted

ou wont feel a thing while he does it and afterwards won't be worse than the op, will it!  Make sure you have your pain meds at the ready . . Lots of people say it works wonders.  I hope it does for you!
    • Posted

I am going in on Thursday.  I have soent today bursting into tears for anything.  Wish it was next Friday!  I sooo want a normal leg.

• Posted

go in thinking of the positive !!! it could end your problem , the more positive you are the more you will be up for it i wish you the very best of luck and cant wait to hear how you got on ,  you go girl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Posted

Aw thank you.  I really have given this my all.  Will try to get more positivityy.
    • Posted

Hi Carol, I am a bit of a black and white person; having the MUA is the best of two evils. I know which one I would rather have.

You have already been through the worst and survived, it will be a couple of days of possible discomfort but offers the possibility of having a 'normal' leg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.