Night time

Posted , 11 users are following.

8 weeks post op TKR and dread going go bed as hopeless sleep even with pain meds

Anybody else still have bad days at 8 weeks pls

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had great difficulty sleeping for three months after mt tkr. Then, gradually, it began improving and now, five months post tkr, I am sleeping well. I still take one pain pill at bedtime and two tylenol if I wake up around 2am but lately have been sleeping through the night. I take melatonin and drink tart cherry juice daily, which has melatonin also.
    • Posted

Oh I'm in such a mess. It's a beautiful Saturday afternoon outside and I'm confined to these surreal four walls moaning and groaning with pain not only in my knee but now in my lower right back which feels like my kidneys are probably reacting to the monstrous load of pain killers I've been taking since around 11pm Saturday 13th February. I wonder what kind of surgeon axes the knee of a poor morsel like me at 9pm on a Saturday night?? Shouldn't he be at home with his wife and family?Not creating mayhem in a poor woman's life. At least with the osteoarthritis I could manage the pain but this has me screaming like Bertha in Jane Eyre.

Do I succumb to the morphine or the mad house??

• Posted

I know what you mean - somedays you can do things and then the next day you're crippled again. Normally when you're ill unless it's life threatening you make steady progress to get better. This is different - you can't really judge what's going on -you can't trust that in the morning your knee will be better than yesterday - sometimes mine is worse-like yesterday I did a little bit of walking round where I live but today I'm back to square one and now my foot is killing me.

Mind you I had a terrible night with the pain. I resorted to hobbling to the freezer for an ice pack, then half dead I'm sitting at he side of the bed with the ice pack on. I'm beginning to wish Is never had it done. Unless of course it's the type of knee implant I've had- it won't be the rolls Royce of knees on the NHS. Remember all those Mercury fillings years ago which now they say we're bad for us or are you too young

• Posted

Mary

I do not think it relates to the type , I had the best here with top private health cover and I feel the same Good days and bad , now at nearly nine weeks I often wonder would I have done this if somebody had really explained the pain, anxiety and feeling of hopelessness that comes with recovery !

L

• Posted

I know I feel the same but i also had mine done at a private clinic but the NHS funded it.

I am 7 weeks yesterday and feel like you. Despondent. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be like this.

i am going to go and get the paper now which will be a slow process and then no doubt it will be back to bed.

I am not used to being an invalid.

It would be different if i was younger and surrounded by my family- you know having time off school and reading comics and eating grapes etc with 

plenty of company from brothers and sisters. Now nobody has got any time for you. 

Oh well happy days.

• Posted

Hang in there Mary

I am 67 and usually have nana duties 3 days a week with kyndergym, playgroup etc with two under four year olds Now I don't have the confidence or capability to have them more then a few hours a week so really sad

They tell me with nine weeks coming up things will get better so I keep repeating to myself It is only a knee , things will improve

Took my daughters advice last night and knocked myself out with meds am going to do again tonight

Take care and chat tomorrow

L

• Posted

Lorraine....managing to get some sleep has helped with the anxiety and hopelessness feelings.  Don't get me wrong....they still creep and rear their ugly head.....I cry hard and sob...then feel cleansed for a while.  Been a week since last one....and I am fighting the next...hubby even noticed today. We just went for a walk outside...even though my pain is bad today...figured gonna hurt either way...fresh air helps my sleeping too.  I understood the pain would be like this.....the hopelessness and depression had no idea...and no one understands...except if u have been there.  My husband and best friend think I need a geographical change.....when I get weepy.  I have told them both....whoever is here just hold me let me cry and I will feel better.  I would prefer to be home and have some short outings.
    • Posted

Dear Pam

I know how you feel. I'm there with you.

I am lying here awake 2am feeling sick now - a new sensation!

Wondering if I have developed some terminal illness. I had none of this before the op only the arthritus pain which I could manage - never had major surgery before

Always thought you got better not better then worse again.

Will never forget this.

Can't even focus on this because the pains in my wounds are starting. I think this op has murdered sleep!!

• Posted

Strange you say u feel sick....I had that same sick to. My stomach feeling earlier in the evening....was worse when I was outside walking, my leg was hurting before I started walking.  My arthritis pain prior to surgery had become unbearable.  I managed it about a year with big doses of ibuprofen.  Are u taking your pain meds on a regular basis, or waiting till you are uncomfortable?  Just wondering...I am now taking ibuprofen during the day....yes I get uncomfortable..but have been able to manage..1/2 pain pill to do my exercises and  the Tylenol pm and 1 pain pill at night.  You have to get your pain controlled.  I have go ton better and then overdone and felt worse.  I think the key is staying consistent on the exercises, and then adding slowly....this will defiantly take time.  I have heard we are 1/2 to turning point...maybe a little more than. 1/2 way...understand 10/12 week mark is a big improvement.  Hope u get some sleep tonight, Mary.  Will remember you in my evening prayers.
  • Posted

Lorraine...right there with you..I am 7 weeks post op.  I asked my regular doc and he said to add extra strength Tylenol pm to my evening pain med.  I take 1 an hour before pain med and 1 with pain med.....I can now manage 5 or 6 hours....it makes a big difference.  I also started getting in a warm shower...an hour before bed.  I actually bathe during the day...this is just to help relax....was suggested by reg doc also.  Hope it helps.  
  • Posted

Lorraine,  I returned to the surgeon yesterday for a check up.  Talked to him about not sleeping and waking up in agonizing aching pain.  He gave me Tramadol 50mg.  I slept almost 11 hours last night and had an hour nap this afternoon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.