Night time pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi guys,  I have been on before  but this is a new problem.  I am doing exceptionally well with all aspects except sleeping.  I am nearly 4 weeks post op. And during the day, going ahead in leaps and bounds (not literally). BUT I sleep for a couple of hours and then wake with my knee very painful.  I get up and walk around and after a couple of hours and some panadien forte can get another few hours.  The broken sleep is more exhausting than all the exercise during the day.  Any suggestions

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is a tricky one - it will get better - there is little you can do. Ice before going to sleep might help and a routine at night so your body knows its sleep time. But painkillers only last 4 hours and thats all you can expect to last in the early weeks. Its lonley and depressing walking about in the night and frustrating too. On the positive side it is good to mobilize in the night as when I started sleeping longer I was very stiff in the mornings. I did ice, dring water and take a tablet when I woke up and found it easier to get back to sleep for longer . This is temporary and common to us all. Once you do more walking in the daytime as well you will sleep longer.  For me it went from 2 hours intervals to five hours at about 6 weeks and 8 weeks to 7 hours - which is more than I slept pre-op! Now at 11 weeks I am so tired at night and have even managed 8-9 hours. 
  • Posted

Hell I wish someone did have a suggestion lol but we all seem to suffer the same problem and the answer just seems to be try to get some sleep through the day until it gets easier??? I asked my doc for some sleeping pills but she refused on the basis that I may be groggy if I wake for the loo or wake early and my knee wouldnt be stable enough to prevent me falling?? Sensible I suppose??? I do find it easier with a pillow either under my bad leg or between my legs if im on my side???
    • Posted

Actually, that did happen to me on the first time I took a sleeping tablet, which was about three days after getting home. the next day when I went to the loo, I suddenly found myself on the ground!  Missed the corner of the sink with my head by a fraction of an inch, and didn't damage the new knee at all . .but believe me, getting back up from the floor was a work of art!!!  I had to drag myself all along the cofridor to the lounge, where there's a low sofa, and slowly work my way up on to that.  that said, if I had been warned of the possibility of dizziness, I would probably have been more careful and less blase about putting the crutches down!  At least I got a bit more sleep with the tablets, and that was wonderful!
    • Posted

Well martin that has made me feel better I did think my GP was being a bit pre'cautious but after hearing that maybe not lol
    • Posted

Allthe same, I think the sleeping tablets are worth having. . I always sit on the side of the bed for a few minutes before getting up to go to the loo . . and then when I stand make sure my balance is OK before I start walking. the extra sleep is SO good for you!

• Posted

I no im gettin wrinkles on top of wrinkles here il need a face lift at this rate lol lol
  • Posted

Thank you Caroline.  I am currently writing this at 2am, waiting for the meds to kick in.  Nice to know there is light at the end of the night tunnell
    • Posted

I am in the same situation as you, nearly four weeks post op and all going well... apart from the sleeping. I am finding this the worst aspect, I get very frustrated walking up every few hours and feeling stiff and uncomfortable. I tend to pop my my painkillers and whilst waiting for them to kick in, do a bit of reading on my kindle.
  • Posted

Thanks Andrea,  I do take sleeping tablets as well as pain killers.  I don't feel at all groggy when I wake up.  I take temazipan 
    • Posted

Hek I wish I had some its soooo draining isnt it????? Im sure we could cope better if we werent so dam tired???? It catches up with me and makes me right weepy some days and I swear im so tired I look like someone off the Jeremy kyle show cos im too tired to be bothered with myself lol x x
  • Posted

My doctor prescribed a slow release tramadol for nighttime. It does help keep the pain at bay.
  • Posted

This sea to be a universal problem. I have spent many hours in my recliner trying to get relief during the night. Best I've ever been able to determine, the blood pools in the knee area after laying still for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. It puts pressure on the nerves and then the pain begins. Sitting up, using ice and getting the leg elevated plus just walking around a little would get things calmed down in a couple of hours and I could get back to sleep. Also, the use of a thin pillow between the knees just to keel them from touching. I've slept like this for several years. You may have to try several different thicknesses to find the one that works best for you
  • Posted

I am 7 weeks and doing great..........except nights are 2-2:30 and up.this  is long and slow road  They  broke your legs, screwed up your metabolism, and you need lots of recoup time..

Sleep gets better.mi did take a sleeping pill to get the 2 hrs. 90% off those.

way better at 7 than 4, and everyone says 12  is magic. 

Stay with it. No way to speed it up. Ride the bike. Helps the knees. Good luck. 

• Posted

Yes this is the worst thing apart from constipation ! It does get better and suddenly you go from next to no sleep to a good few hours and what a difference that makes.

I take my last lot of pk when I go to bed and now get at least 5-6h sleep (unless I need the loo which I don't count) but I still have a rest during the day - wonder how that will go when I am back at work next week (wk 11)

• Posted

Try a combination of colase, mirilax......both over the counter in the US and greatly increase your water intake. In a couple of days you should be back to normal. Once things ease up, use every couple of days as long as you are on pain meds. What slows down the pain slows down the system and has to be dealt with as soon as possible or you will really be sick. When you go back to work just tell em its doctors orders you have to take a post lunch nap. I'm sure everyone will be understanding. Just don't smile or laugh while you're spinning your tale of woe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.