nightmare shopping trip

Posted , 9 users are following.

My 82 year old mother who has had both knees replaced is quite demanding and suddenly decided that she wanted a new chair for her bedroom. Once she's decided she wants something she wants it NOW. She wanted to go to Ikea and my stepfather wouldn't take her (he's a shocking driver and although she's never driven she critisises hisdriving until he's a quivering wreck) she set her sights on me and although she knows that I'm really struggling to walk and hate, hate, hate Ikea hounded me to take her. So today I went to pick her up aand begged her not to have to go to ikea and go to the trafford centre (a mall about 20 minutes drive away). She finally capitulated and off we went. The first shop we went in we found the perfect little bedroom chair and she duly bought it. Good I thought, time to go home. But no she wanted to go in every shop and inspect every shelf, 3 hours later I said could we go home now. Can't we go over the long bridge to the main shopping area she says, I'll push youin a wheelchair!!!!

As if i don't feel like an an cient old lady already

1 like, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

• Posted

Good for her, so pleased her knee replacements have given her a "new life" smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Wow thats sounds impressive. Hope i get like that soon. 

Im like you struggling to walk 7 weeks post op

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have to tell you that, although I certainly sympathize with your plight, your post just cracked me up to the point that I literally Laughed Out Loud!

You should be a humor writer, you have the knack.

Anyway, good luck!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You can only be a victim if you allow yourself to be. Tell her, in no uncertain manner, you just can't do this for a while and you are harming yourself when you try. Time for her to quit going through her 2nd childhood and quit whining. I am nearly 80 and my wife is in advancing stages of Parkinson's Disease and we wouldn't dream of putting pressure on our kids for anything. My 47 year old son is coming from California tonight and wants to do some things to help around here. I'm almost embarassed to admit 3 or 4 things that need to be done are out of my reach anymore so I'll let him help. At 6'2"- 235 pounds nothing will be a strain.

Some people use age as a resource for abusing others and it just isnt right. Hang in there. I've always told my wife that we aren't promised anything when we are born.......if we want it we have to make it happen but by the same token, we don't have to make ourselves miserable trying to get it because we'll be too worn out to enjoy if it does come our way. Unfortunately, its a prophecy come true in our case. Money that we worked for just sits there because were restricted by health concerns so we've started increasing our giving to help feed and shelter others. Plans change right before our very eyes. Restvand have a good day

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for all your lovely replies. I'm off for the mri scan of my knee on friday so hopefully things will start moving apace. Deb
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am sorry but I didn't get what was going on with you and your legs. You said you were off for an MRI. Have you had a TKR or do you have arthritis? It sounds like gramma's Bilateral knee replacements are working great.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm waiting for a tkr on my right knee but as I've been taking oral steroids for over a year the consultant wants to check the inside of my knee first. Apparently steroids can cause problems with the blood vessels within joints so in his words he doesn't want to go in blind. The weird thing is that on xray my left knee is shot (the docs words) but my right knee is agonising. The left knee is very painful but much more bearable than the right. I worry though that once the right one is done the left one will kick in!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I had the same issue - both knees trashed but left was much more painful.  Turned out I had a torn ligament in the left, so it got replaced first.  Hoping to never need to replace the right even though it's just as bad.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I too had steroid injections for over a year on both of my knees. They worked for a while and I was told that is all they would last for. I am now 7 days TKR on my left knee and 1 and half years on my right. I have never had a problem allowing people to push me in a wheel chair and I would have told gramma to get pushing. Even today if I find an electric wheel chair at Costco or Walmart I am the first one on it.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

LOL, is all I can say. 

I so enjoyed ur post, but I do feel bad for u and ur pain. Ur mom sounds like a real character!! Mine was too and I miss her so. She lived to 95!!!

im still laughing😀

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

She gets quite maudlin, yesterday she said she can't bear the thought that she might not be around when my son gets married and has children. (He's 27 and in quite a serious relationship) I told her that she'll outlive us all. I'm sure that her horrible temper will keep her going! I would have thought that by the time someone is in their 80's they would have mellowed a bit. She's always been a nightmare and her temper is legendary, she would lash out at me from being a young child until at 18 I told her that it had to stop.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

She's my mum at the end of the day and I love her, I just don't always like her.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I too had to smile at your post.  I had a very difficult m-i-l who lived into her 80's.  However, she got Alzheimer's and went to a nursing home.  Turned into a pussy cat, thank goodness.  People can only take so much, and I wAs  worried she could be treated badly, but all went well.  Hang in there.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up