Nissan Fundoplication laparoscopic

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I posted back in April about my cancelled Nissan operation, well I have now received my operation and was wanting to post my experience so far.

Before the operation I was taking 40 mg omerprazole sometimes more every day.

I got my operation done 6 days ago and can honestly say the recuperation has not been as bad as what I expected. I was operated on laparoscopic and the operation took 2 and a half hours straight after my surgeon said it was a success and I was able to sip a small amount of water. I was then kept in overnight for observation and the worst of my pain was in my shoulders apparently from trapped wind (I still have a small niggle nothing half as bad) I was home for 12:30 pm the next day given instructions to follow a liquid only diet for 2 weeks then slowly introduce food back into my diet. I have not had any acid reflux in the past week and not taken any ppis.

I am still recovering getting ready is a big chore but this will get better each day. Before the operation I looked into the procedure and other people's stories so I was mentally prepared for what was ahead of me.

I know that no two people are the same and would not expect everyone to have the same experience. I am a healthy 36 year old from Scotland and got the operation done on the NHS.

I hope this helps for any one considering the surgery or is going though it soon.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey Kay, glad to hear that the surgery went well.  Ido want to add that you sould only drink lliquids at room temperature for about 6 weeks.  It made a difference for me and was suggested by my surgeon.  then gradully added ice to drinks and colder drinks.  Sometimes very cold drinks cause problems...so just be careful.  I was liquid for 2 plus weeks then gradually added soft foods for another 6 weeks.  I eat almost anything I want but it appears that the cruncher the foods the easier they go down.  BREAD is still a no-no-no...most of the time.  You will know quickly what works and what does not.

I'm glad you are feeling great. I'm having my visit to a new surgeon next month to see about reworking my wrap...it slipped.  go figure.  but  I'm prepared for all of this.

PS it is a good weight loss program.  LOL.

Kay

• Posted

Hi Kay

Thanks for your advice to be honest by the time I drink a full glass is is normally at room temperature lol.

I agree I've lost almost half a stone already.

Good luck with your next visit hopefully it's not too bad.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing, Kay. Slow steps is the key. Following my surgery, I set myself daily targets - to walk just that little bit further, to build up strength and stamina.

All the best for your continued recovery

• Posted

Hi Kay,

Glad to hear you've had your op and doing well, Wednesday I will be 16 weeks after op. I agree the worst pain was the shoulder pain after op it's from the gas they blow you up with for the op, my tummy was very tender and can still be even now.

I'm eating most things now and am able for 1 alcohol drink in the evening.

I lost a stone in weight in the first week and didn't loose any more after that.

I woke up last night with a bad pain in my stomach and got a bit scared, I had a mouthful of water and think maybe it was trapped wind, I did feel a bit nausea this morning so I took half a cyclizine anti sickness tab and after a couple of hours at work it eased off a bit.

Best wishes for your recovery :-)

Margaret x

• Posted

Hi Kay

I had my op on Friday and due to my sats being low I was only discharged today.

The surgeon said the op went well but one thing that is still frustrating is that I am still throats clearing which was one of my main reasons for having the op.

I may be expecting too much too soon but everything else seems to have gone except for this.

Is this something you suffered with at all?

Lx

• Posted

Hi Louise

Glad you are now home, no this wasn't something that I suffered with.

Kat

• Posted

Hi Kay,

​So glad that your operation went well. Did the surgeon say anything about long-lasting effects? I have heard some people cannot belch or vomit after surgery.

• Posted

After my surgery I belch ALL the time and it hurts. And I had three months of no vomiting but it returned and I vomit almost daily. So just be prepared. Especially for belching. Even a swallow of water may make you belch.
    • Posted

What do you think the vomiting almost daily is from? Did the doctors say this will go away? Same with the belching, did they say it will go away?
    • Posted

I wish the doctors knew the answers  Sometimes vomiting is from nothing more than water(too large of a swallow) or from a small bite of angel food cake.  There are no specific triggers. and as for belching, they don't look for that to disappear. I have noticed if I drink or eat anything that is too cold (say too much ice in a drink or a frozen drink from Sonic) that I'm almost immediately  sick.  The surgeon cautioned me about drinking cold beverages but I would think after 19 months that it would be OK, but....I do remain cautious about this.  It was difficult at first but has gotten easier to drink beverages that are not too cold and eliminated my drink stop at Sonic during Happy Hour :-(

I'm sorry I had NF surgery, think it might have been easier before, even with symptoms, because I still have them but now I have limitations.

Good luck to you.

• Posted

I am so sorry Kay! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.