Nissen fundoplication reversal

Posted , 45 users are following.

I'm about to have my nissen reversed because of severe neasua vomiting and pain. Has anyone had theirs reversed or taken down and what was the outcome?

3 likes, 131 replies

131 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I just met with my doctor to get one done as even drinking water gives me reflux. I was told its non reversible. Weird. I will be following this discussion as I worries about my wrap not working and needing it to be undone.
    • Posted

Nissen can be undne if absolutely necessary. Most surgeons don't like to do it as it can seem to be unnecessary when they have cases of greater urgency.

The "irreversibility" of Nissen is one of the myths propagated by Torax Medcal in pushing their LINX devce.

But do discuss your issues fully with the surgeons. Undong our wrap may not give you the slution you are looking for.

• Posted

Hi, had Nissens last July. No real probs subsequently and I feel 10 years younger.

i had constant vomiting before.Giant Hiatus Hernia was diagnosed with gastric volvulus. 

As others have said ask many questions and learn as much as you can about your surgeon, 

where will you have it done ? 

• Posted

I vomit a lot too. And I also bring up my food multiple times after I've eaten. Even up to 5 hours later. My surgeons name is Dr. James Bond. I thought it was a joke when k was told but nope it's James Bond. He works in Vancouver BC. Though I believe his office is in surrey BC. I have been told he is one of the best surgeons around. When I see him next I will be asking a lot of questions. My main concern is never being able to vomit and burl again. Also I've read if you can't burp the gases get stuck in stomach and can hurt and bloat you. I have Ibs so I hope that doesn't happen. Can you burp if need be ? How long before you could swallow liquid food ? Thank you
    • Posted

This is true most people can't burp or vomit, I certainly can't

I had NF done over 20 years ago and left me more dead than alive

never get a nights sleep

with all the bloat pain was told no surgeon will reverse it because of the scarring tissue and unnecessary risk for them.

Had it done in Vancouver BC Dr. Panton

thinking of going back to see him but I don't think he will give me time of day 

Seen many others over the years no help.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I had my Nissen July 25, 2016, and it's hands down THE WORST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE. That is saying a lot for me. I have had 35 surgeries in the last 5 and a half years after being hit by a drunk driver. 2 Vertebrae in my neck were fused with cadaver bone and titanium plate and screws, at c5-c6, as it was completely herniated; about 20 jaw surgeries and procedures. both disc's in my jaw joints hearniared as well and I was rubbing bone to bone Had to have it re-broken and reconstructed again as infection set in in my jaw bone so part of it had to be removed. My jaw was wired shut for 8 weeks. 4 hand and wrist surgeries due to nerve damage. Constant neck, jaw right shoulder pain. Okay, getting closer. So last February (2016) to April 2016, I had what I thought was the most severe asthma attack I've ever had. I spent a total of 48 days away from home. 2/27 to 3/19 in ICU/IMC hospital units. 3/22 to 3/31 at skilled nursing facility. It was at th is time when time there was discussion of reflux causing my breathing to act up. That was the first time that a Nissen fundoplication was explained to me. They basically said that it would keep me from having reflux up into my throat and possibly in my lungs and help me significantly with my asthma. Nobody told me the potential for severe side effects of this surgery. I was desperate to feel better so I trusted my doctors. A few days after I got to the Skilled Nursing Facility, March 23rd to be exact, I felt like I was having a heart attack. 911 was called and EMS team came into my room and took me to the nearest hospital. It was that that time that they realized I had two blood clots in my lungs one in the upper left and one in the lower back quadrant on the right. I was immediately started on a blood thinner medicine called Xarelto. Several days later I again felt the chest pressure pain in my legs and call the EMS once again. I was try to be talked out of going by the medics but I knew something wasn't right. Of course again there were new blood clots in my lungs and now some in my legs as well. So the medicine Xarelto it was said that I failed. All this time they were treating my asthma with no progress and it turns out there were blood clots and that's why the steroids weren't working the

. All that happened was I gained 50 lbs, hight sweats facial and pedal edema, etc. I started to have crazy blood sugars and felt terrible. So on July 25th I have the Nissen fundoplication. I was in the hospital for a couple of days on clear liquids. Within a week or so. It became super apparent that I had what I know is dumping syndrome. I'm a nurse. This is basically where the food goes through you so fast when you eat it that it causes a severe Spike and drop in your blood sugar. My blood sugar would go up to about 160 or 170 within 5 or 10 minutes of eating and 10 minutes later I'd feel a sharp belly pain, dealing with something that I was not sperience with, diary in it. That's a very embarrassing thing to talk about but I have IBS with constipation. It was totally opposite of what I normally was doing . During the time that I was in the bathroom going and also healing into the trash came in the bathroom was when my blood sugar would drop. it would be as low as mid 40s to mostly 50s. That's a huge drop for a short amount of time and it really really feels bad. I sometimes actually lost Consciousness due to the rapid drop in blood sugar. I also had huge amounts of bloating, nausea, dry heaving, severe upper abdominal pain, rancid gas and stool that made me gag it smelled and basically I got sick no matter what I ate, but guess what, because of the operation throwing up was not physically possible anymore so the heaving was so violent that my blood vessels in my eyes and face bursted at times. several months after the nissen was placed I had to have some Imaging done in the that have been done to keep my body from refluxing had travelled up into my chest, Maki g my wheezing even worse. That was the reason I had trouble breathing. So in January of this year (2017),I went back into surgery to have the wrap pulled down out of my chest and the big hernia that opened up for it to go through repaired with mesh and the Nissen fundoplication reversed per the physician / surgeon. Although the blood sugar bikes and drops are not as frequent, I still have trouble eating almost any solid food. I am on my hands and knees for hours on end sometimes for eating a handful of a snack or even a fruit or vegetable or some protein. It does not matter what I eat please if you are considering this surgery please please please read more. It's one of them things in my life I regret the most it is horrible. I would deal with reflux 10 times over what I had rather than deal with what I'm going through still today. I still cannot vomit so when I am sick to my stomach I heave nothing comes up. Sorry to tell such a long story I'm still trying to see what can be done to fix this craziness that has become my life. I have been unable to work, I've not been able to do much of any kind of exercise, I've become very much a couch potato or sitting in my bed during the day, sometimes writhing in pain

or on my hamds and knees with a pillow under my belly watching TV when it hurt to get up. I don't understand why even now and they took the wrap down I still cannot throw up it does not make any sense. Any thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated and thank you for reading my long story if you got this far. Sincerely, Cindy G

• Posted

Hi

Please could you clarify whether you had the fundoplication reversed or not

Many thanks

• Posted

It's the worst operation ever for side affects 

My surgeon has put me on the list to have it reversed just waiting for my date can't wait 

• Posted

I would be so grateful to tell if you have had your fundoplication reversed.
    • Posted

Where did you go to have this done and how is it working out for you?  I was told it is very dangerous.  I didn't persue it.  Also, it was hard to find someone to do it.  

• Posted

Ik this is super late and you probably won’t see this but what were your symptoms? I constantly bring back up anything I swallow even water. Did this surgery help you?? 
    • Posted

Hi, have you had your fundoplication reversed?

• Posted

hi, ive been doing research trying to find a doctor that would reverse my nissen surgery. so far ive been given the runaround. do you know of any surgeon that is capable of reversing it? please & thank you.

• Posted

whats the name of the surgeon that did the reversal for you?? please & thank you!

• Posted

I didn't have my Nissen just reversed, I had it reversed and a Collis-Nissen instead as a revision.

My wrap had become loose following 5 hours violent vomiting from Norovirus. My surgeon had to undo the wrap, resection the stomach to effectively provide a longer oesophagus and then provide a larger, more permanent, wrap.

But I had needed the wrap. When it loosened, all my symptoms gradually returned.

• Posted

Hey guys if you are still struggling get valvuplasty. No nissen. My LES valve was repaired and my diaphragm was fixed. I went to see Dr Farid Gharagozloo in Florida at Celebration hospital. He took my nissen completely down. No more problems
    • Posted

Hi, have you done the nissen fundoplication? and was DR. FARID GHARAGOZOLOO able to unwrap the nissen fundoplication surgery? please let me know

• Posted

may I ask how you are currently doing?

I also asked about the cost of your surgery, from the Florida surgeon, and could you tell me about your recovery from it?

thank you again, ☺

Karen

• Posted

I am doing great! I had my surgery back in June 2018. I am back to normal and I'm very fortunate since I had 2 failed nissens with horrible side effects. Had I known about esophageal valvuloplasty before it would of saved me a lot of heartache. My surgery was covered at 100% by my insurance. Since my deductible and out of pocket was met way before surgery. I have nothing but gratitude for Dr Gharagozloo.

• Posted

Hi Farzana

how long was your recovery?

Thanks

Irfan

• Posted

can you get the valvuloplasty if you dont have a hiatial hernia? i just have a short loose les but no hernia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.