No bend - I'm getting there now - here's how!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 11wks post TKR and 3 wks post MUA.   Had difficulties with meds prescribed and even after the MUA  low bend.  

After my MUA I have had 3 x soft tissue massage and 2 x hydrotherapy sessions.   The soft tissue I pay for and the hydro is on NHS - the first therapy I have had since my TKR.  

In this period my knee bend has gone from 25 to 70 - ok its low compared to most of you BUT it is a real achievement to me.   I thought I was doomed to never move again.  I also feel positive that this can improve even more,

I dont over exercise, I go to my Physio sessions, and have bad days.   but generally feel better than I did.

I would ask everyone to insist and fight for Physio after a TKR.   We all need that support to achieve a normal movement and life.

4 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It's only been 11 weeks since Tkr. Give yourself time to heel. It takes time. This is major surgery. Soon you will have your mobility back. Thank goodness for joint implants. We fight thru the process but it's well worth the alternative. 

• Posted

I agree it is early days.   I think that wht depressed me was that without the physiotherapy I was getting nowhere, did not know if I was doing the exercises right and understood that everyone else was walking fine at 6 weeks!   Boy have I learnt.   I am not in a rush but we all need hope and as importantly we need to understand what is happening to us.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Take it one day at a time. You will see improvement and in a few months life will be easier for you. This is the tough part.

there are also exercises online if your interested.

• Posted

Good for you!  I am about 5 months post op TKR and about 5 weeks post MUA.  I was stuck at 86 and got to 106 after the MUA.  I seem to be staying right around there & I hope to improve, but that is  big improvement that I didn't think I'd get to.  Have you had surgeries to your knee prior to your replacement?
    • Posted

I am so pleased for you - thats a great improvement.   Never had any surgery before my TKR just injections and started Yoga and Tai Chi both of which helped me.   My aim is to get back to them.  
  • Posted

Lynn, you are right. I remember after having my PT come to my for a couple weeks (6 days a week) and he said it was up to me if I wanted to continue. I took a week off, doing it on my own. And asked him to come back for another week. I needed that extra push and am so glad I did. You are right, it's crucial. I just ran across a booklet I have on my computer. I can email it to anyone who is without exercise ideas.
    • Posted

I know that if I have my right knee done it will be with a very clear expectation of Physio afterwards.   I feel that my PT sessions are the real key to my recovery and the exercises I am being set by the experts are achievable at home.  I feel so positive if somewhat tired and sore at times!
  • Posted

I am 5 weeks in and only have 77 knee bend painful at that. Apparently only get 2 lots of physio last lot being next Wednesday think I will need more to get better bend.
    • Posted

I think 77 is good! Are you in the UK or where?   If the UK I contacted the PALs at the hospital and lobbied for my PT.   Some people have simply asked for more and got more sessions.  Let me know - please?
  • Posted

25 to 70 is major gain!! Congratulations! ! I to am 11 weeks po. I had mua at 7 weeks. My Dr had my knee bent to 138 with I was out. With very agressive pt 3 days later I was 110. But pt was to agressive. 2 days later I was 40. Switched pt person. 5/9 was my first day there and measured 60. When I went this past wed I was 120! So yes pt is very important. I wasted 6 weeks with someone that didn't know what there were doing. I think he was part of the reason I had to have the mua. I'm still in pt. My Dr told me Thursday he wants me to continue with my exercises through the summer and I could back off in the fall. Keep up the good work. Mt pt tells me just when I think I have bent all I could try just one more time. Take care
    • Posted

Thank you so much I am mega, mega pleased.  Cant stop grinning.   I had an agressive session under the MUA and was told 140 - so what - its not real - the drugs relaxed my body enough to do that.  I only hope that everyone with a fairly low bend number reads our conversations and realises that things can get better.   I will remember and re-read everyones words if I get depressed again.   Thank you.
  • Posted

What is an MUA? I just had a TKR about 1 week ago and I have limited bending. I really need to know how soon I can bend it back to normal again.
    • Posted

Morning Janie - dont even think about MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) at the moment.   It is very very early days for you.   Do the exercises given to you regularly, ice, heat, meds, rest as advised.   Everyone says that we are all different and we are in this situation.   Read what people say on this site but if someone is doing better with a higher bend it does not mean you wont get there, but just a little slower.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.