No end in sight

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had pain in my right knee on and off for the last 20 years but the last 5 or 6 it has got progressively worse. I had various mri scans and x rays early last year which showed quite severe osteoarthritis in my left leg but only very mild oa in my right knee with a torn meniscus. I had an arthroscopy and repair of the meniscus just over a year ago but the pain just keeps getting progressively worse. The consultant doesn't have any answers so I had another mri last week to see if I've got rapidly deteriorating arthritis. I'm at my wits end and getting more and more down as I can only walk for a short time before the pain kicks in. Any advice appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

First, MRIs can be inconclusive.  Back in my 50's, I had four of them, two each knee, which told the docs nothing.  Four scopes later, over a number of years, I was fixed...at least for those issues.  Sometimes, the docs just have to go in there to see what's wrong.  I batted 4 for 4 on those.

After all of that, the knees started getting worse again...lots of arthritis.  Doc used Synvisc (3 shots, days 1, 8 and 15); each set lasted almost a year...kept me going 5-6 years.  Then I moved from the cold of NJ to the warmth of TX.  Needed NOTHING for six years until I could avoid the TKR no longer.  Glad I got it done.  Maybe the Synvisc will work for you; maybe there's something in there to fix; maybe you're out of options.  See what the doc says and then get a second opinion.  Right now, it's a coin toss until you know more.

PS: I played hockey for 45 years...gotta pay the piper sooner or later.

• Posted

I changed hospital and consultant at once he said severe knee joint wear had right knee TKR now due 13th Dec for left TKR ..... Get a second opinion Consultant told me stays tell him nothing he relay on patient answers to questions and visual Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.