No hope

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had anxiety for few months on citalopram propanolol and 2mg diazapam. Took first diazapam today as I have health anxiety and was scared to take them. Nothing seems to help been in bed for two days can't sleep waking at 3 4 5 am

Things have to get better??

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I know how you feel and how awful anxiety is. Have you been back to your doctor? You may need to try a different medication?
    • Posted

Going to try get appointment tomorrow. It really is awful! No one deserves to go through it. It's never ending hell.

Hope you are doing ok Emma

Thank you for reply

• Posted

Yes hell is the only way to describe it. How long have you been on your medication? I take 5mg diazepam at night to sleep and it seems effective. Maybe you could try that? Obviously take your doctors guidance first.
    • Posted

Hi Emma

Been on cit and prop for about 5weeks yes don't feel diazapam is enough at 2 mg hopefully I can get appointment.

Don't mean to be nosey but is diazapam all you take

• Posted

No I take fluoxetine. Was on it for 3 years and it worked wonders for me, then stupidly I took myself off it 2 months ago and am paying the price now. Been back on the fluoxetine nearly 2 weeks now and hoping it will kick in soon. Only been taking the diazepam for a few nights as without sleep anxiety doubles ten fold!
  • Posted

Last post awaiting moderation.  Don't know why.   I sympathise with you.  I am on third week of Mirtazapine 15mg and have been running anxiety all day every day.  How long for these to kick in.  Can't take anything to help as I am doing a 48 hour water test.  At least my tab tonight will help me sleep.  how long you been on these

• Posted

Hi Ruth

Been on citalopram and propanolol for bout 5 weeks iv kind of giving up fighting so hard.

Heard it can take 6 to 8 weeks but not sure.

Hope you feel better soon too wish I could kick anxiety's butt.

Thanks for replying take care

• Posted

2mg of Diazepam is a really low dose, when anxiety is really bad it does often take more than 2mg to relieve it, however the effects of any dose of Diazepam generally don't last long, you may get insomnia relief for a few weeks and anxiety relief for a few months but then you will become tolerant and need a higher dose.

I am not telling you this to scare you, that is the last thing you need but just so that you are aware that this is only ever going to be a very short term solution so you absolutely need to push your doctor for what can be done in the long term to relieve your anxiety.

It doesn't have to be all about medication either, of course it has it's place but it should always be used to bring the anxiety down to a point where you are able to have therapies and councilling to get to the root of the anxiety and find the right techniques to eventually overcome it.

Just as a side note don't be scared about taking the Diazepam in the sense that it will cause you immediate harm, it is very well tolerated and side effects are not that bad, most people just report feeling more drowsy than usual and a bit slowed down.

• Posted

Hi bella

Think the doctor gave me a low dose because I was really scared to take it

I took one today because finding things hard. Didn't feel any different at all.

Doesn't help when people have to wait 3 months plus for mental health services it's terrible

I am really not the person I was and it's scary want to get back to me.

Take care Bella thanks for your reply

• Posted

Yes doctors often start with the lowest possible dose when someone is afraid to take medication, 2mg is very low and when anxiety is acute it often doesn't help.

I am the biggest pill phobic ever and I take diazepam, I have been on it for far too long really but I have to say that it is about the only thing I feel safe with in terms of immediate side effects, the worst it's ever done is make me sleepy or a bit chatty where I felt better.

I know what you mean about the mental health services too, it's so hard when you have to wait so long to get access to them although there are some therapies that you can self refer to, I have twice self reffered for CBT, first time took 4 weeks and I have just reffered again and been told 2-4 weeks wait which isn't quite as bad as the months it takes to get any other kind of help, CBT isn't right for everyone of course but self refferal is an option, most doctors have a list of services you can self refer to.

Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon.

• Posted

Oh please take these meds. I was on citalopram(celexa) for a time,and the diazapam(valium) is a very low dose. That will make you relax. The other one must be for I am guessing high blood pressure. You will do great on all of these. If after about 3 weeks on the celexa,if you are still having anxiety, or you don't feel right, then call your doc and they will either ajust, or change. I promise you won't die, and any maybe  little side effect you might,maybe have will be better then what your feeling now, honest. I have been on celexa, zoloft, lexapro, an now cynbalti, and amitriptyline. Yep still here,and feeling great.I will be on meds for the rest of my life, and I am fine with that, as long as I never feel anxiety, and panic again I'm rooting for you. 

• Posted

Thanks Kimberley

The propanolol is a beta blocker. Was taking 20mg citalopram but went back to ten. I hate taking tablets but your right it's better than dealing with all this

Glad you are doing well hopefully I get there soon too

Thanks for your reply

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.