No idea where to turn

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I recently bought a flat, outright.

I work part time.

My health is going downhill fast. I suffer with bulging and prolapse discs and nerve damage. I really don't know how long I can carry on working!

I am 54 and live alone after getting divorced and have an 11 year child who lives 50% of the time with me.

I am scared I won't be able to cope if I have to give up my job. Will they force me to sell my flat? No idea about any of this as worked all my life.

My doc is rubbish.

0 likes, 6 replies


6 Replies

  • Posted


    No they won't force to you sell your flat. It's not counted as capital if you live there. 

    As for help because you work then SSP should be payable for 28 weeks with a fit note from your GP. After these 28 weeks you'll then be able to claim Contributions based ESA with a fit note. This is paid regardless of savings/capital. 

    There's also PIP but this will totally depend on how your conditions affect you daily. PIP is a disability benefit and isn't means tested. If you have problems with cooking, washing, dressing, communicating, going out etc then a claim could be possible. Evidence will be needed to support any claim you make and a face 2 face assessment is highly likely because most people have these. I can't post links here but there's lots of advice on the internet about claiming PIP. Help would be advised with filling out the forms if you decide to apply. Those forms are very complex.

    Hope this helps and if you need any more advice please just ask. 

  • Posted

    Hi Antig, everything Denise has said is accurate, just wanted to add, depending on your savings, if you don't live in a universal credit area you may also be able to get some Council Tax benefit, via the local authority. Not sure how this works if you are in a UC area though. 

    • Posted

      Hi Newbury,

      Hope you're well?? Just to add to what you've said. Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and has to be claimed separately. You'll be amazed at the people who claim UC that don't know this because like we both know, they don't tell you what you can claim. xx

    • Posted

      Hi Denise, yes doing okay, summer has been a bit full with operations and infections, but hey I'm still here, which is the main thing! Hope you're doing alright as well

  • Posted

    Don't worry if you own the home you live there is no question that you could be asked to sell it if you have to claim benefits.

    I hope this helps you to relax.

    All the best



  • Posted

    We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up