No more options for my IBS? Tips?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, I am a teenager, and for as long as I can remember I have had stomach problems. When I was younger I was sensetive to my mother's milk, and as I grow I find im lactosentalerant as well, with just a sensetive stomach overall. But my biggest problem was when I was diagnosed with IBS- or whatever you call it for children...

It was a problem because it would cause such intense cramping and discomfort that at such a young age I couldn't deal with it and went to the emergency room screaming often, most of the times my mother thought my appendix was going to explode because no one should be in that much abdominal pain!

A few years later when the problems still persisted she took me to a doctor and they eliminated everything, than diagnosed me with (pediatric name...) IBS. I was put on this teeny tiny pill- anti depressant mind you. Which in the end made me depressed actually.

Now I have been to the doctors multiple times to try and find a new medication that does not harm my mental state, nor my physical one for the most part. It is a struggle for sure..

For now, besides the normal- Eat right excersise right, sleep right; does anyone have tips on how to deal with IBS?

0 likes, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

• Posted

Thank you, Fernvy.  I am trying to eat right.  I discovered recently that I love yogurt. I eat a lot of it.  I have bananas and yogurt for breakfast, then eat one more meal (supper), where I eat chicken noodle soup and yogurt with some diet ginger ale.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Have you triex the FODMAP diet? For pain you just havd to take pain killers and anti spasmodic. I find a hot water bottle or wheat bag helps too.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Best if you get your GP to refer you to a dietician who specializes in the FODMAP elimination diet.  It's not something you should try on your own.  It worked for me around 3 years ago.  I'm now gluten free and I avoid onions and garlic.  Easy at home but difficult when out so loperamide as a preventative does the trick

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

The only thing you can do is to try to avoid stress as much as possible and use distraction techniques such as a hobby to keep you calm.  Buscopan and Nurofen help my pain.  Buscopan is very mild.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hopefully it works.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I mentioned earlier that I really like yogurt.  Now I see that I can use Lactaid if I am lactose intolerant.  I doubt that I am because I am nearly 65 and have been blessed to be able to eat practically anything (except insects and so forth).
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Healthy well balanced diet with probiotic foods are good. Get B12 and zinc levels checked. Vit d is a good one too. IBS can cause some deficiencies or low vit levels can cause IBS. I was sick for years after getting a stomach virus. The vitamins listed above were out for me but everyone is different. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, do you eat probiotics?, can you get Kefir? a super probiotic, you can check it out on line to see if it may help.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Martin.  Yes I do eat probiotics.  I have been eating yogurt with probiotics in it and also taking Lactose. I see Kefir in the store but have never tried it.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes, I have had a colonoscopy in recent months (no significant problems found).  I have not had the coeliac test you refer to.

I had been using for weeks a sleep aid herbal supplement that contains 5-HTP.  I stopped taking that supplement a couple of nights ago and I have been having less trouble with bowel movements. (5-HTP, according to what I read, can cause IBS-like symptoms).

I still wake up with cramps. 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up