No Morphine

Posted , 12 users are following.

Has anyone had TAH and not had morphine after as really don't want this drug in my body and would rather have either an alternative or no pain relief at all. And if not had pain relief then truthfully how painful have you found it.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I did have it, but didn't have any problems, the worst part for me was having to keep the bleeping oxygen mask on. Good luck xxx
    • Posted

It is self administered though so you control how much or how little you want/need xx
    • Posted

LOL, me too, I remember being in the recovery room, I kept taking the mask off and the nurse kept putting it back on............Good Game, Good Game lol
    • Posted

LOL, I seem to remember it being more of a problem overnight, I had to have my urine measured and a bladder scan that first night and the nurse kept telling me off!! xx
    • Posted

I don't want any at all, i hate pain relief of any type and will only take something if its life or death type pain, luckily i've never had any bad pain in my life so far so thats why i'm thinking about it but erring on side of refusing it, i have my pre op assessment on 31.3.15 so perhaps i should bring it up then. I want to be wide awake and ready to escape and don't want any drugs that cloud my thinking, i think its a control thing lol
    • Posted

I had mine for 24hrs and I got fed up wearing the gaping gown and wanted tp put my own on, in order to do this I had to disconnect the oxygen quickly take off the hospital gown, quickly put mine on and get the oxygen back on all before they came to do my obs again, the nurses face was a picture when she came back in the room biggrin, I can only imagine what she was thinking, I was walking around carrying my catheter bag later on.frown Bad me!!
    • Posted

Think i'm going to be a naughty patient too lol, at my previous pre op ass (before last op was cancelled) the sister told me due to my good health, positive attitude and all results to my tests that i should only need to stay in overnight, thats now what i'm aiming for and if they try to keep me in for a second night they are going to have a fight on their hands lol, she also said that i should be walking around the evening after my op even with the catheter and drain in so i am planning my escape even if still connected.
    • Posted

If its self administered can you just choose to not give it to yourself? I'm aware it will be painful etc but i don't even drink alcohol as can't stand the woozy feeling as i have to be in control at all times. I have a very high pain threshold and have dental work done without injections as don't even like the thought of novocaine, i hadn't even thought about the pain relief side of all this until my friend had an op on Tuesday and under the influence of Morphine sent me a text about a polar bear wearing pink nail varnish!!! Feeling like that would be my worst nightmare lol
    • Posted

Hi Neverstaysstill 

Strange thing about life, I remember when my Hubby was first prescribed morphine (we lived in Spain then) I cried my eyes out, had a temper tantrum (not proud of the fact!) and here I am 6 years later, dishing it out to Ian like smarties!  I really do not like what morphine does to the body at all, side effects are horrendous, but his pain is so horrific we have no choice!  Luckily with our ops we don't get a very high dosage and they soon take it away so not much harm done.   

I had to go to the hospital with hubby this morning so took the opportunity to pop up to the ward I will be in!  OMG very grim! sad Still I keep telling myself I have an excellent surgeon and the nursing staff are lovely what more do I need! 

Love

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Hi, I'm not sure about whether they automatically give you the morphine at the end of surgery but certainly once you are on the ward you are attached to a PCA (patient controlled analgesia) what it actually means is that the drug is fed into your system via a drip/butterfly in your hand BUT only when you press the button, so yes once on the ward it is very much your choice as to whether you have it or not, BUT even if you don't they will still make you keep that bleeping oxygen mask on LOL xx
    • Posted

I didn't have a PCA, and it was never mentioned to me, perhaps because I had it done vaginally?
    • Posted

I was only given Diamorph before the op along with the spinal block,  I was never offered it afterwards, again this may be because I had vaginal surgery.
    • Posted

Ah perhaps, mine was abdominal and I didn't have a spinal block so maybe that's why.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.