No Morphine

Posted , 12 users are following.

Has anyone had TAH and not had morphine after as really don't want this drug in my body and would rather have either an alternative or no pain relief at all. And if not had pain relief then truthfully how painful have you found it.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had my op back in Nov 14 and it was private they don't do it. I tell you it's very pain full please take it if you can have it. I just had string pain killers but nothing worked. When you wake up the pain was there it hit me. Good luck xx
  • Posted

Just had mine. Had a drug called OxyContin slow release. It took the edge off plus had codeine and paracetamol. I have quite a high pain threshold but nothing could prepare me for the pain. I wS also given an epidural by a student before the op. This failed so woke in a lot of pain. My advice take whats given. No points for being in pain!! I'm 2 weeks post op and still taking meds!!

Donna x

• Posted

Hi

I had a hysterectomy (uterus removed only) 2 weeks tomorrow. I was told I would be hooked up to morphine but I would be in control of it. Was still very sleepy after coming round so in all honesty I didn't use it that much through the night (only got in the ward 9pm). The following morning they took it off me as soon as they could and was given paracetamol and codeine. To be honest the latter two didn't seem to ease the pain. Stopped taking them the Monday after the op and tried to manage the pain without anything.

I will say don't suffer if you need to take something to get you through the first few days then do.

Also you might end up with trapped wind get some peppermint oil or colpermin capsules in or buscupan to ease the pain from that.

Good luck hope all goes well x

• Posted

I won't lie to you if your having. TAH particullarly if your having an abdominal incision you will have some pain.....don't try and be brave, if you relatively pain free you will mobiles much quicker which will help overall with your recovery, it will also help with the wind pain too.....discuss your pain killing options wth your anaesthetist, they will be supporting you with your analgesic options....there are lots of alternates  on te market now....im6 weeks TAH tomorrow, I had to have quite a wide incision due to a llarge uterus....I stil occasionally have to take codeine at night.....although I am a bit of a wimp!!
    • Posted

its not being brave Bridy just terrified more by the thought of not being in control than the pain side of it. In my tiny little mind i think that if no morphine is taken i will be clearer in my mind so that when i do the runner i intend doing after the op i will at least be able to see/know where i'm going lol, but seriously it is the thought of a mind altering drug going in my body which is absolutely terrifying me more that the actual op.
    • Posted

If you don't want morphine then make that clear to your anaesthetist, you DO NOT have to take anything you are not comfortable with, I did have it, it just makes me queasy, it doesn't affect my mind at all, I was given pain relief tablets after coming round and I refused them, it is Your body, if you don't want something don't have it, they can't force you, I was an auxiliary nurse and have heard many people refuse meds of all kinds, it's classed as assault if they give meds without consent.
    • Posted

That fear must be awful for you.....there are lots of things you can have that will help your pain ( so you can do a runner with your catheter, IIV and possible oxygen!!).... That should not addle your brain.... The effects of the anaestetic make you a bit sleepy for a couple of hours....trust me your aneadtatist will provide you with the reassurance you need...x
    • Posted

I was given diamorph only before surgery, I wasn't offered it after.
    • Posted

perhaps it will give the nurses and drs something to talk about trying to work out if i have been addicted to morphine in the past and thats why i am refusing it, although really i'm sure they are all far too busy to worry about my issues. I keep telling my other half that if i stay really quiet and they don't notice i'm there he may be able to smuggle me out on same day of op lol, even he is drawing the line at that one !!!
    • Posted

Doesn't matter if you are, you have to speak up for yourself, don't be scared, it is your body they are going to cut into YOURS no-one else's, my consultant is lovely, he told me that he wouldn't do anything I wasn't comfortable with, he put me at ease from day one, I was incredibly lucky, be brave neverstaystill we will all be behind you. 😊
    • Posted

Its weird because i never normally scared of anything and was quite looking forward to the op (strange i know) as a bit of a rest but since my friend texted me a weird text about polar bears which was under the influence of Morphine i am really beginning to dread it
    • Posted

no i don't and GP has sort of washed his hands of me as now under the consultants care. I don't need anyone to support me as i'm very strong willed and will be assertive etc but as i said previously i don't want to be an awkward patient when the staff are all so overworked and underpaid and then they get the one that doesn't want morphine.  I can see on here that a few people have refused it so i think i will make my feelings heard at my pre-op and see what sort of response  i get and then go from there.  
    • Posted

That seems like a good plan, they will be able to let you know all the pros and cons xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.