No periods for 12 months?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I am an 18 year old girl and I haven’t had a period for 12 months, I have a thyroid problem and started medication for it last year, so I don’t know if that’s why? I’ve been on the desomono pill for three months but I am now off it and have been off for  quite a while and not on any contraception as I am not having sex. 

I have been getting light brown stuff coming out of my vagina and this could last either 2-4 days, I don’t know if this is a period or not? There is no sign of red blood it is just light brown? I’m getting really anxious because i feel like I’ve not had a normal period for ages, but could this brown stuff be my period? 

I know when blood gets old it goes brown, but it is coming out as light brown or brown, so I’m really confused and a bit worried, can someone help me out please? Thank you! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You could have polycystic ovarian syndrome. I used to have exactly the same problem with my period when I was a teenager, with the dry blood apart from when I was on the pill. Ask your doctor for a hormone blood test and an ultrasound. Just a warning though, when you go on the pill next, make sure you have breaks from it for at least 6 months every couple of years. It has lots of very harmful side effects. Also don’t ever smoke when on the pill. 
    • Posted

Hi, 

Yes, I’ve read up on the medication for my thyroid problem and apparently that can cause irregular periods. I would say about 5 months ago I went for an ultrasound and she put a probe thing in me aswell, she checked my whom ovaries and said everything looked fine and perfectly normal, so this is why I’m so confused? I will defiantly be booking a doctors appointment just to see and check. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.