No sleep

Posted , 8 users are following.

Another night on sofa still can't sleep my knee's are so jumpy n twitching, n it hurts. iv had all my medication had a bath before bed done physio massage, nothing works 😂

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jen.  I had the same thing two nights ago.  I tossed and turned (and cussed) for two hours and finally got up and took more pain meds.  Finally got a couple of hours sleep.  You're right nothing seems to help.  Better days ahead we hope.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks Helen im still up its settling down now had another tramadol n iv got a hot water bottle on it its helping

i was up Monday night as well ,iv had it a few times but this week it really bad ,so e one told me its called muscle memory

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi , when you say twitchy , do you mean all over or just let?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Jen....its the nerves coming back, this will happen at odd moments and it really scares you besides hurting.  Take your med as prescribed and don't miss any out.  Not sleeping is I am afraid is part of this op, I am 14 weeks today and I still can't sleep more than 2 - 2 1/2 hours at a time. I don't nap during the day.   I still massage, ice and if needed heat after exercise in fact do both legs now even though I had my left knee done 8 years ago. I was at the hospital yesterday and was discharged for 12 months, I was so elated at the news I completely forgot to ask about sleeping problems!     Do you have a pillow between your legs? this can help to give more comfort. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm exactly the same with the twitchy legs. I find that icing just before I try to go to sleep helps. So does a mild sleeping tablet my doctor prescribed. I take Pramipexole for restless Leg syndrome already as I have done for a couple of years. After a very exhausting physio session yesterday, I went to bed at 8.30pm  I was asleep within half an hour and slept til 3.00am. 6hrs and the feeling was great. I was up by 5.30 as couldn't stay in bed any longer. Problem is I'll be shattered again by early evening. Perhaps a nap this afternoon might help me get back to a reasonable bed time. By the way, I'm 65 and 4wks post tkr.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Its really getting me down now i didn't go to sleep till 6 o clock this morning . i had a hot water bottle on it few hours last night iv been using pillow for about 2 years because of arthritis

just nothing seams to help. Family why im not going on waiting list for left knee to be done yet i need time to recover cant go through this again this year. dont know how you had both done in few weeks of each other

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Now I used to suffer with restless leg syndrome in my late 40's onwards and chatting as you do in spare moments at work, my boss mentioned he had a couple of wine corks at the bottom of the bed to stop cramp....so I thought, old wives tales etc...3 wine corks, wrapped in a hanky, under the bottom sheet.  Restless legs no more...and I have never taken them out since!  
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

honestly it will pass, when people on this forum said that to me I did not beleive it, but it did, I know at the time its truly awful, but you will get through it, I am 10 week post op, and sleeping more or less normally, best wishes to you
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

On a previous blog a tkr survivor tried a banana smoothie before she went to bed which worked for her as she slept for a fair few hours ! Lack of sleep is a nightmare but it does get better honest
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up