No sleep...driving me crazy!

Posted , 8 users are following.

So it's gone 6:00am and ive had No sleep all night! Now I just wait half an hour till my babies get up!

Anyone know of strong/good over the counter sleeping tablets/medicine/anything?

Have tried a few but don't remember all the names?

Have tried kalms, night nurse and couple others.

Doctor said he won't give me sleeping tablets, At least for the time being sad xx

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Kalms won't do anything, they're valerian root which is a mild sedative. For your doctor to give you sleeping pills in the UK you'll have to be more than just tired, you'll need severe insomnia.

If you ask they may give you promethazine which works for most people (don't take more than 4 or you risk getting restless leg syndrome)

If you have severe insomnia you'll get zopiclone 3.75/7.5mg but only short term.

• Posted

Hi there, are you taking any ssris? I have suffered chronic insomnia for over a year and it was directly caused by venlafaxine initially and then sertraline. I have recently come off sertraline and immediately substituted it with 5-htp - an amino acid which works in the same way by producing serotonin in the brain but without any of the dreaded side effects and I can't believe how much my sleep has improved. If you do take an ssri it will interfere with your sleep, if the meds help you and you wish to stay on them I found taking proranalol helped me to sleep as it helps you relax and your gp won't mind prescribing it, its often prescribed for anxiety. I found 40mg taken half hour before bed helped. Another option is to take melatonin which you can purchase online, a lot of antidepressants suppress the body's production of melatonin which is why you can't sleep and this is a natural substance which shouldn't cause any side effects. You can start on a low dose and gradually increase until you start to see results. Taking calcium with magnesium in the evening can really help with sleep and taking gaba (gamma amino-butyric acid) is another good one to try which has had good results in clinical trials if none of the others help or you can take them together. You need your sleep when getting up in the morning with babies! Been there wore that t-shirt! Hope this helps smile xx
    • Posted

I've been off all meds nearly a year and have been sleeping bad alot although I've nearly done 4 weeks on st John's wart. Can u give me more advice / info on 5htp as I was thinking of taking that if the st John's wart didn't do much? Thanks x
  • Posted

Hi Dondon doctors hate giving out sleeping pills but why not ask him for an ad such as mirtazapine which can make you sleepy?   I take this at night and can't sleep without it.   Nothing over the counter works for me as they are not strong enough.  

With a young family you need your sleep.  Bev x

• Posted

hi, Thank you for your replies, i was taking 30mg of mirtazapine up until recently but don't take anything now, the mirtazapine didn't help with my sleeping, I usually sleep around 3 hours a night if im lucky, sometimes less, last night was the first night I've not slept at all, I will talk to my doctor on Monday and hopefully he'll help me this time as can't carry on like this, I'd kinda gotten used to little sleep and feeling tired all the time but I can't have another night like last, feel like a zombie! X
    • Posted

You will end up in hospital if it continues, your gp needs to act sooner rather than later.
    • Posted

Not really my doctors fault, more me not being completely honest with him, im an idiot and clam up when I need to say things! Xx
    • Posted

you can continue on less than 3 hours sleep a day. With lack of sleep you are:

1. Likely to be more accident prone

2. Impairs attention, alertness, concentration, reasoning, and problem solving. 

3. you won’t be able to remember what you learned and experienced during the day. 

4. Sleep disorders and chronic sleep loss can put you at risk for:

Heart disease

Heart attack

Heart failure

Irregular heartbeat

High blood pressure

Stroke

Diabetes

5. Makes depression worse

6. Lack of Sleep Ages Your Skin

7. fatigue, short temper and lack of focus that often follow a poor night’s sleep.

Are you seeing any of these at the moment

• Posted

I have had opiclone 3.75 but only short term. And they can make you feel like you are hungover the following morning
  • Posted

You could premethazine its an antihistamine with a sedative and relaxing effect. If you you take it to often you could get tolerent to it and it wont work as well.
  • Posted

Have you tried reading or watching something either challenging on the brian to follow or completely dull ?. Try googling Homepathic remedies for Insomnia or chinese remedies for insomnia.
  • Posted

Lack of sleep made me crazy. I'm not joking.

I had taken tramadol for two years. The insomnia was terrible but my GP wouldn't help. Twice I went to see him. Both times he refused.

Sleep is terribly important. I consider chronic insomnia a medical emergency.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.