No wonder I've felt so bad!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi people a quick update after the last post. I ended up in hospital on Friday in pain due to my ibs, or so I thought. I could have diverticulitis and when I was in hospital wasn't given any pain relief and even my doctor didn't give me pain relief. I've rang my doctors today in pain and been informed I can take Mebeverine, yet again which doesn't help so was offered domperidone instead but have never taken it told it's a tablet and it's small. I've never heard of it yet alone taken it. What is it and has anyone on here taken it, is it small or am I again being fobbed off? Please if anyone can help I'd be grateful. Thanks

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was given this for nausea  - had no effect on IBS pain spasm - and gave up with it quickly as it gave me a headache and dizziness. Hope you get on better with it
    • Posted

Hmm that doesn't sound nice I'll see about taking it.

• Posted

Sam

You are not been fobbed off by anyone. Your GP is in partnership with you to keep you well. accept that and trust your GP advice

BOB

• Posted

I have just commented to you on ptsd website to say correct comment was on here. I have little trust hence why I was diagnosed with ptsd. I just would like my health right. Why should we accept the 1st thing that comes along? They may have even got the diagnosis wrong who's to say the medication is too? I try not to take too many drugs as they tend to make me worse as any artificial has wreaked havoc in the past. I just wondered about pain relief that's all. I just am so frustrated by all of it I hate being ill at all!

• Posted

You are so lucky to have such a good GP which you trust and is in partnership to keep you well. Me - I never know who I am going to see in the practice when I finally get an appointment and the advice handed out is almost always  'try this different drug if the one prescribed last time didn't help'

• Posted

Sam 

Taking these medication will help you pass food through the bowel. I understand you need to take these medications for a week or so and your GP needs to be approached regards any medications you may wish too take, this covers Pain medication bought over the counter and scrip through GP also chemist

Try and take your medication as prescribed, hopefully you will feel better soon

BOB

• Posted

In my Practice we have six GPs and various nurses, sometimes it may be a nurse can help without seeing a GP or I look at my GPs medical interest on possibly NHS CHOICES and visit that Doctor. If time is short I visit any of the Partners. So we are very lucky. 

I was at the Surgery yesterday  and saw just one who had a vacant slot, Practices  are short staffed I suppose this can lead to problems

BOB

• Posted

I've never had any problems with the NHS including my doctors I am just terrified this is something more serious as my grandfather died of bowel cancer and my dad had diverticulitis before then getting kidney cancer which killed him. I am terrified I've got something seriously wrong. Sorry you got the wrong impression.

• Posted

Sam

Sorry you are so worried, I do not know how old you are. All I can say here is He seems to be keeping an eye on you

What I can suggest is call the Surgery and ask for an appointment over the phone to discuss your needs He may be able to advise you on a Pain Medication. The problem with then is they can really upset your tummy

BOB

• Posted

I've never heard of that drug, I was given Librax. I found this for you. I take this for severe stomach and intestinal cramps for my IBS. It does work especially when I have IBS D.   That's the only med I have been on for this.  When I had a diverticulitis attack (had 3 at different times) I was given flagel and cipro, both horrendous drugs but I think that's the only thing that works for me. You can't taste anything but metal for a couple of weeks, it's awful.

I was once given levaquin and it almost killed me. It affects your tendons and your muscles......stay away!!!!  Look it up on the internet if you can....I will never, ever, ever take anything in that family of drugs again. 

Librax (chlordiazepoxide and clidinium bromide) is a combination of a benzodiazepine and an anticholinergic/spasmolytic used to treat stomach ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, and intestinal infections. 

• Posted

Hi Anna, what is the difference between ibs and diverticulitis as I don't know.

• Posted

But how do I know the difference what do you experience that is different to ibs sufferers?

• Posted

When I had Diverticulitis, I had a temperature (slight), I was sweating and clammy, had severe localized abdominal pains on my left side, No diarrhea or constipation to site but I couldn't even walk at times. It was the pain in one specific area each time, my left side right above between my waist and bottom of abdomen. MY attacks were acute and also not acute enough where I couldn't function.  On the other hand, my IBS goes one way or the other way from diarrhea to constipation. When it builds up, I am nauseated, have dry heaves or vomit mostly if i am constipated.  If I am in diarrhea mode, the second I put food in mouth mouth I am running to the bathroom and I wonder, "what  the heck, the food hasn't even been swallowed." That's how fast it can work.  I do get abdominal pain but it's not always relentless every second, like when I have had diverticulitis.  The IBS pain is consistent throughout the day but not going on every second, usually just when the bathroom attack occurs or food is consumed.  That is how it is different for me.  All I know is this, when they put me on Levequin for the diverticulitis, I thought it would kill me I had such a bad reaction. I NEVER allow any doctor to give me any drug in that family of drugs. EVER!   

Tomorrow I see my gastroenterologist.  A month ago I triggered where I am today, recouping from an acute IBS (at least we think it is) attack possibly triggered by food poisoning from my own tuna salad. My mom ended up in the emergency room after she ate it and I just got sick because I only had a teaspoon full to taste it.  I don't know what it was, the tuna, mayo, or onion.  Anyway, finally I see my doctor because  the last three to four weeks have been a nightmare.  When I have attacks Sam, it takes me weeks to get back to normal. Several weeks to a month.  So never give up........you just need to get the right help. 

• Posted

Oh, one more thing.  With the diverticulitis, within 10 days of antibiotic treatment, everything changes for the better.  It is not relentless, and after treatment you will feel your old self.  It's gone and that's it.  But if they determine you have that, just make sure you eat a variety of food at the same time, in other words, don't spend a day eating seeds and nuts.  If you have any, make sure it's a little and you are eating them with other food, especially fiber and you will be ok.  At least for me, it works and I eat everything, no restrictions unless I have an IBS attack, the I go "white."  Toast, eggs, chicken, potatoes, butter, and no dairy other than butter.  Use olive oil instead of butter where you can.   

• Posted

Thanks so much just wonder if it was a severe flare up now as it settled very quickly. I now have to have a ct scan though to rule it out. Don't like thought that I have diverticulitis as much dad had it then died of kidney cancer! Never ever had a ct scan before so quite scared. My mum's reluctantly going with me. Just fearful what they could find.

• Posted

Sam,  don't remember if you ever said how old you are.  But, listen, don't worry. And as far as your dad goes, I am sorry to hear that he passed away of kidney cancer. That couldn't have been easy for your family or your dad.  I lost my dad this past March and he had health issues also that worries me for me.  But, I have never, ever heard of anyone progressing from diverticulitis to kidney cancer. They are totally unrelated. Worrying about any of this just adds to the condition. If you went on antibiotics, the diverticulitis settles and you may never get another attack.  If it's IBS, then lifestyle changes help and it can be controlled.  I have been in remission several times.  And, don't feed your fears, I have done that all my life and it made things worse.  My entire life has circled around fear related to health and I ended up breaking the cycle and fear by going to a mindful meditation program. It really helped me cope with my health. It doesn't make it go away, but it helps to control the obsessiveness and the continual worry of "what if they are wrong," "what if they missed something," and it will drive you nuts.....Please let me know how your test comes out.  My best wishes to you, Sam.  And another bit of advice.....always, always, take someone to those appointments with you will you  are trying to get a diagnosis.....you would be surprised at what you forget.........always have questions written down before you meet with doctors too.  Never be afraid to question inside and out!!!! A good doctor won't care! 

• Posted

Thank you so much I feel sorry for your loss too. You've put my mind at ease a touch. I don't like the idea of any of this as I don't like to think anything major is wrong. Someone is going with me and can bring me home afterwards I certainly don't want to stay there any longer than I have to. I will be glad to find out what this is as I've been told it's ibs but I've never been convinced.

• Posted

Just hang in there Sam.  This is the most horrific stuff to deal with as far as intestinal discomfort.  I thought I was headed to the emergency room last week Monday.  I was literally in the bathroom non-stop, mostly never left from 1 AM to 4:30 AM.  I was in crisis.  IBS C that in the last wee hours of that morning finally broke into IBS D.  Dry heaves, vomiting to the point that you think you are going to die.  I am alive today....don't feel great, but I have to learn how to deal with this.  I had a change in my doctors appointment from this morning to Thursday morning, disappointing but that's the way of the world.  I will see what she has to say.  

• Posted

Also,  it takes a lot to be convinced that it is IBS.... I have been the same way but have kind of given in to this.  Nothing else can be found.  It's just like when a doctor tells you that all your muscle weakness and pain is fibromyalgia when there is no conclusive evidence.  So, hang in.............never give in, never surrender! 

• Posted

Hi Anna, oh I will glad to have this scan on Friday only problem is my partner is ill with a virus and I am buggered if I get that as it will last days knowing me.  My mum is coming with me but still scared, but if turns out to be diverticulitis like they say is possible then do something doctors, if it's ibs do something else doctors.  My own doctor who ignored me on 23rd November the day before I ended up in hospital is my own doctor and if she has this wrong I will swing for her, she won't be glad to see me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.