No wonder people are depressed !

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a senior citizen (72) but young at heart.  This is not a medical discussion, just a footnote to say no wonder we are depressed. Being of an older generation, I have seen our country go down the pan.  It is not the country I grew up in.   We have lost the "great" out of Great Britain

0 likes, 26 replies

Report / Delete

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes.

Everything has changed

Technology advanced

No manners ie respect the elderly..

Foul language being a norm for some children

No its not the same

Cxx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello Angela, I am 73 years old and have had depression for a very long time.  Nothingto do with the state of the country though.  Clinical depression is a very serious illness, not just about feeling down because things are not going right.  No it is not like when we were young, true, but I don't think it is about making perople feel "depressed." 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

At 78 I do not feel nor regard myself as a senior citizen and what that means. Being older than many others however does have its benefits some of which are contained in a lifetime experience stretching back over those 78 years. That experience enables me to remember that change is a constant. The main difference today compared to, say, 50 years ago is the rate of change. And it is that rate of change that has occasioned so much dissatisfaction.

Before we are able to adjust to the latest change that affects us two more arrive, or so it seems. For many people that is unsettling. It is hardly surprising, therefore, that so much talk arises about change and depression. It is no use bemoaning change as there is nothing we or our politicians can do to stop it. Indeed, if we do not change we will soon find out just how much more unsettling and unacceptable our world could become.

All too often we hear talk about a "golden age" when everything was right. I'm afraid that is hogwash as there never has been any such thing. Memories are selective; the science involving our brain is producing new evidence about its working regularly and trials have revealed a lot about how our memory works. To use a computer analogy, when we go to sleep our brain goes through a routine much as we defrag our compters and commit ensential matter to long term memory. In fact our brain does not retain each memory as a separate item but has all the links that enable us to recall those bits we want to.

So, Angela, while I recognise your concern I believe you would be better served by accepting change and then looking for what is better within that. When was our country ever great except in name? We may think about all the good things but ignore all the bad things that GB has done. Great Britain is no paragon; many of the deeds done in our name in foreign lands are shameful. If the British Empire had really been great it would still exist. But all is not lost; London contains one of the largest French cities (based upon the number of French people living and working there) and the stream of intending immigrants who seek a better future heading towards our shores surely demonstrates that there is a lot of good here.

There are many things that we may say are wrong here; but surely it would be expecting too much to look for nirvana

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello Angela, depression is a very serious illness, Depression affects your mind and behavior and it has been affiliated with various well-being problems.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

One thing that comes to mind on seeing the poppies at the Tower of London and the Remembrance Sunday at the Cenotaph.   Once back then we were under the threat of the Jackboot (as it was referred to), but now we are under threat from people living in our own country - say no more !       
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

People living in our own country... does that mean you and I?

Xenophobic feelings are understandable through fear and insecurity but that is how the Jackboots came about.  Do you want to join them?

Personally, seeing the global population statistics shoot up since the Industrial Revolution I think there is an issue there.  But I do not blame immigrants for it.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Incidentally the "great" in Great Britain came out of colonising various other continents for cheap labour and resources.  I know of people from those countries who have suffered the consequences... war, etc. Many countries have fought for material gain and empires but I think Britain pompously 'divided and ruled' great civilizations.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Think about how many different nationalities helped us avoid the 'jackboot'.  

You wouldn't have liked living in 'Great'  Britain unless you were rich.   They were the only ones who benefitted.   The plebs died in workhouses and such.   Or would you like to bring those back?   And all the poverty?   Children with rickets?   

I think you are just racist and taking the tack of blaming immigrants for all our problems!    I think you are proud of it too.  

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Oh I new I would ruffle a few feathers.    Being concerned about immigration is not being racist. We are overcrowded now. Time to close the doors.

Why do you think UKIP have gone up in the polls ?   Because lots of folk like me are concerned about the state of our country,

Overpopulation is why our NHS is struggling, also schools and housing.

When in London recently, I felt like a stranger in my own country and I am not alone.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Dont want 2 sound disrespectful, you are entitled 2 your opinion but I really dont think this forum is where you should be airing them, all your managing to do (in your words)is ruffle the feathers of people who really dont need that.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I think this conversation is not appropriate for this forum.  It is upsetting me reading some of these views.  We don't want political talk here we want support for our mental problems. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Quite right. Some people appear to have failed to understand just what this site is for. So fo all those who want t6o discuss politics there are thousands of sites for that purpose.

Go and discuss your political ideas elsewhere.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The thing is politics is part of our environment and linked into our mental health.

I personally think it is good to air things whether or not we like the views.  I believe it is healthy to discuss and come to some sort of common ground.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Clinical depression is a very difficult medical condition. It is one where we ought to try to avoid introducing subject matter that may only lead to increase the feelings of depression because they are insoluble. This is particularly so when the subject tends to produce very polarised opinions, two of which are politics and religion.

Whereas it may be good to air views among those of us who are not suffering depression this is not the forum for such matters. There are thousands of other forums where we can debate politics and other matters but this site is for specific purposes, personal matters that should not be aggravated by unhelpful discussion.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Good on you, I could not agree more.  Please take note and be supportiuve of those with depression who really do have a real illness which is hard to cope with a lot of the time.  I don't know why I got involved with this, but I hope in future people will be more supportive of us who have real clinical depression.  Thanks Jaguar.

I too am an older person. 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up