Nocturnal panic attacks - needing reassurance

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,I have been diagnosed with GAD and Panic Disorder,finally after 40 years of living with it,can anyone out there shed some light on these experiences like leaping out of bed in the middle of a deep sleep sweating,breathless heart pounding and not knowing where you even are it's bloody terrifying,a feeling you are going to die,and not to mention the times where I could be in a familiar place and then all of a sudden I don't know my surroundings everything feels odd, different and out of place,like your in another world,It can happen a lot when I am driving.I know this sounds weird but is this normal does anyone else experience this,your comments would be greatly appreciated

cheers J

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I have/had panic attacks...I am on fluoxetine 20 mg week 5 finishing tomorrow...I still can't believe that I do not have any other diseases...
  • Posted

Hi jamie

The feeling of unfamiliar seems like you get episodes of deralisation which is a symptom of anxiety/panic. Your not alone you will find quite a few people on here suffer with this.

• Posted

Have you had all tests done like an eeg
    • Posted

Hi Tanya,

I Have had The ECG hooked up to me a handful of times in my life,and was told everything is all clear,even done a stress test on the treadmill about 18 Months ago I have had numerous blood tests an ultrasound,endoscopy and done a sleep study for sleep apnea,which all tested clear,the only medical condition I have is HH but I know what to expect with that.i have lived with this anxiety/panic as far back as I can remember and just dealt with it,but never realised what it was until a doctor I visited picked up on it and diagnosed me with the disorders.i have found it gets worse when I am stressed out and under pressure at work or feeling sick with a flu or something,I have never realy been able to talk to anybody about it because they just think I'm mad,so what's derealisation about ? I have spoken to a lot of people now who have anxiety/depression but not so much panic disorder that's why I'm here looking for answers.

cheers J

• Posted

Hi jamie

Im so glad all your tests were clear.

Derealisation is feeling that your surroundings is not real and you may feel like your in a dream state.

have a search on the net for a detailed description...

• Posted

Hi Tanya,I was reading about derealisation/depersonalisation on the net before,I suppose it is kind of a bit like that,it seems that it's a fairly normal thing to get with panic disorder,it would be good to get another sufferers view on it though,because I can get confused and disorientated when it happens to me and then it's harder to control,it feels like the end of the world and you can't get back,but I always end up sorting it out one way or another,buy just breathing and thinking positively,I mean I've dealt with this [removed] for 40 years,I've worked it out but us would be good to still hear another sufferes views?surely someone gets it ?

Emis Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

• Posted

Hi Tanya,I'm glad to see they were all clear to,life's, a mystery bag sometimes,but I just get on with it.It seems I have read a bit about derealisation/depersonalisation now and it does make a bit of sense for someone with panic disorder,I suppose I be just learnt to deal with it over all these years as much as it sucked but it would be good to hear from someone similar about there experiences and what's helping them

cheers again J

• Posted

I agree with Tanya about getting more tests - have you spoken to your Dr about these episodes? Have you always had them or is it something new? I am unsure if you are female but it may be worth having your hormones checked and perhaps an ECG too. Hopefully all will be reassuring and you will get referred to counselling or other therapies too. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Jenny,I am a bloke and I have tried CBT twice recently but the therapists i have spoken to both believe I am fine,you see it's not depression I have,I am pretty full on happy go lucky guy,it's just these weird panic episodes I get and anxious to go with it,but when you get them at night it's worse,I do run a very successful electrical business and employ 12 staff,maybe I process too much in my sleep? But the derealisation thing that Tanya mentioned is something I have not heard about ?I have just learnt to deal with it,but it freaks me out for a minute or two and then I come back to familiarity again,hard to explain to a person!!
  • Posted

Hi Jamie - well its not the menopause then! Sorry, I have a female friend called Jamie! smile When you say HH is that a hiatus hernia if so maybe its that that is waking you up when it slides up at night perhaps? do you get a lot of acid when that happens? But that doesnt account for the feeling weird does it, Im really sorry, I have no idea what could cause that, all i do know is you are NOT mad. I dont even know what mad is except a label. What you say about your business I would imagine that it is quite stressful. Try looking at the headspace app or website and see if that helps. A long shot is paroxysmal atrial fibrillation - i have it and it took 7 years for a diagnosis, treatment is anticoagulants and beta blockers. The beta blockers reduce the action of adrenaline which with helps the anxiety a bit and are prescribed for that anyway ( without the paf) so they may be worth a try if you go down the medication route. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi again Jenny,HH is abbreviation for Haemochromatosis (Iron overload)

thanks for your feedback,I must look into this derealisation thing,acid reflux can cause you to wake up when it rises up your oesophagus but I know that's not related to these panic attacks,It could be nightmares or freaky dreams I have ? Maybe someone will read this thread and tell me they get it to,I need to hear it from someone else to make some sort of sense.

cheers J

• Posted

Hello Jamie, if it's any consolation I've often had the nocturnal panic attacks on and off. I've often woken up with a massive start, sometimes I scream and have thrown myself out of bed! I sometimes feel like I'm choking or can't breath - heart races etc too.

It's just sensitisation to anxiety and it lurks around in your subconscious. I take not much notice of it now.

I also get hypnic jerks which are

De realisation is also very common I've had that too.

Anxiety has sooooo many symptoms.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi Frances,that sounds like me all over,I have been reading about the fight or flight scenario,it's all starting to make sense,but why is it a lot worse now than what it's ever been,maybe I stress and worry about my business to much!!!

thanks for your comment

• Posted

Hi Jamie

Your very welcome. I'm going through a bad phase of general anxiety at the moment due to bereavement and work issues. External influences obviously have a big impact on people who are prone to anxiety. You probably need some respite and relaxation and possibly some outlet for the adrenaline? Emotional and mental wellbeing are as important as your physical health...

Also meant to say in my last message but didn't finish the sentence that I get hypnic jerks when nodding off to sleep ie wake up suddenly just as you drift off.

Happy to talk anytime you can always personally message me if you prefer.☺

Take care.

• Posted

Hi, Jamie...Bless your heart.  I am in my 60's and I was born with panic disorder and depressive disorder.  I have them pretty much under control now with medication, but I had another one just yesterday.  I woke up with a light headed feeling and decided to take my blood pressure...normally, it is very low, but right before and during a bad attack, your B/P can be at dangerously high numbers...I have learned to try to take deep breaths, put ice packs on my feet and just about everything, but when one comes on...it really comes on...Try to bear with it, and keep your stress level as low as possible...Even thinking bad thoughts will bring one on...They put me on two different kinds of B/P meds to keep my heart rate lower...I hope things get better for you so you can enjoy your life...
    • Posted

Hi Carole,I think I notice the number of attacks I get,depends on my stress levels,if I have to much going on in my life all at once,it can overwhelm me and i start to worry about trivial things,your brain seems to be trying to process to much all at once,It makes you feel constantly on edge and anxiety kicks in,I definitely agree with what you and Francesca said about reducing the stress in your life by means of respite,relaxation.I have been attending meditation with breathing classes of late which I believe is helping,and a bit of light exercise like bushwalkinng,where I live in Australia we have a lot of bush so that works.Solitude in natural surroundings.Of late I have had to take some Benzos to get me through the night,I don't like it but it helps me sleep through,i have had nights where I have nearly passed out from panic attacks,I have now learnt to go for a sit in the loungeroom and sip on some water,deep breathe while I collect my thoughts.Anxiety/panic disorders are a funny thing because sometimes it's hard to differentiate between knowing if it is that ? or are you actually sick with some kind of disease,that's what I struggle with a lot,but just have to keep positive and tell myself I am alright,I do know I have haemochromatosis which is a iron overload condition where your body absorbs to much iron,that doesn't help the cause especially knowing I have to give a pint of blood every month for the next 6 months just to try keep my level at bay so I don't rust away.These night sweats concern me a bit to,I wake up drenched a lot lately and I have to get a towel to dry myself off,it's insane hey I know it's a hot country but really!!!!!!!,I think I should just sell the business drop out for a while and do a bit of travelling in my camper,that might be the curelolAnyway thanks for listening,this forum is good for a chat speak soon.

cheers J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.