Non bacterial Prostatitis

Posted , 12 users are following.

A few weeks back i was diagnosed with prostatis and am currently on 500 mg cipro for 6 weeks im on week 3 i believe with littlw to no improvement. I am 26 years old and have been cleared from all STDs twice. also urine culture cane back negative for bacteria. my question is would bacterial prostatis show up in urine? if not does that mean these antibiotics are not working? what can i do to treat this?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

what symptoms do you have or get ?

• Posted

right now im having pain in my testicles and pain after urinating. no pain after sex tho. urologist stuck a finger in me and kind of felt around till i felt a sharp pain inside. im also feeling pain in my groin right around the inguinal ligament

• Posted

What symptoms are you having? You say 3 weeks of Cipro and no improvement. Are you having burning, upset stomach; other signs of prostatitis?

I feel for you having to take Cipro that long. When I was diagnosed with p;rostatitis I was prescribed Sulfameth for two weeks. When that didn't help he prescribed me 10 days of Cipro; can't remember how many mg. Both of these A/B gave me upset stomach but I was also having urinary retention and overflow incontinence. So I guess I'm not sure what was causing that. Never noticed that much of a reaction to antibiotics before and I'm in my middle 60s. Maybe I attributed it to something else when I was younger and had to take them for dental problems.

• Posted

right now im having pain in my testicles and pain after urinating. no pain after sex tho. urologist stuck a finger in me and kind of felt around till i felt a sharp pain inside. im also feeling pain in my groin right around the inguinal ligament. ive been on cipro for nearly 2 weeks actually i just checked but i took 10 days of doxy and a shot of rocephin. this has been going on for 2 months now. recently noticing incontinance and dribbling and a burning pain after urination. Now that i think back i have had issues with completley emptying my bladder since i was much younger but only went to the doctor after i felt an ache in my testicles. i have an appointment for a testicular ultrasound but its a month from now doctor wanted to make sure my course of antibiotics worked. but if its not bacteria than all it is doing is prolonging the treatment

• Posted

Bill,

You could try the supplement Serrapeptase. It dissolves the biofilms created by some bacteria that may be hiding in your prostate. The biofilms protect the bacteria from the antibiotics. You can also try raw garlic to dissolve the biofilms. Crush it with a garlic crusher and eat it on toast with olive oil. You can also chop the garlic into small pieces and eat it along with a banana to help it go down. You also have to stop drinking beer if you are doing that. A doctor can also do a prostate massage to collect some semen for bacteria sampling.

If that doesn't help, you may have non bacterial prostatitis. Look up remedies for non bacterial prostatitis. The book "A headache in the pelvis" is a good resource. Too much bike riding can cause it, or too much or too little sex.

Thomas

• Posted

Bill Sorry that your are having a problem. Are you taking 2 pill a day I just got off Cipro 1000 Mg 2 times a day for 28 day. It will help you may sure you take all of the pill the way your suppose to. I feel much better and peeing very well. Take care Ken

• Posted

how long did it take for you to start feeling better? im going on 20 days and its not feeling better yet my prostate doesnt ache but i feel it at the tip of my penis and in my testicles especially if im sitting for long periods or after urinating

• Posted

Good aftenoon Bill

It was a couple of week. Remember all men are different and we heal at different rate. I felt better after 2 weeks but great after I did the 28 days. Make sure you drink a lot and try not to sit a lot it's not go for your prostate. Good Luck Ken

• Posted

i greatly appreciate it kenneth, im still a student so i have to sit for upwards to 12 hours a day i have been using a heat pad tho and it seems to help thank you for the advice

BILL

• Posted

Hi Bill:

Consider a cushion that has a cutout for the prostate area. I recently purchased one from Amazon and used it for travel. It helped. It's called Sojoy gel comfort. It has two halves that fold towards each other for easy carrying. The way I make it work with my prostate is that I removed one half from the other (they are linked by velcro). Then make the gap between the halves as wide as possible, yet still have the cushion stay together (the gap on mine is 2.5 inches). That will give you a gap down the middle. If people ask just tell them you have an injury and move to another topic.

Many of us who have prostate problems swear by cushions that help take pressure off of the prostate. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Bill It's no problem. If you have to sit in a recliner or lay down in bed and try to lay on your side. It may also help you to put a pillow between your legs. It will get better Ken

• Posted

Bill, I had prostatitis when I was in my late teens and early twenties and it's not easy to treat as any one will tell you. However, antibiotics never helped for me and didn't again when things flared up 3 years ago. I'm now 50 and now have testicle ache too which comes and goes! The good news is, for most men, symptoms come and go and the bad flare-ups give way to good spells. I had 13 glorious years of no pain whatsoever, before my old foe came back to haunt me! For me, I've found Quercetin & Bromelain has helped, but I've tried all sorts of other things like saw palmetto and pumpkin seed oil. Stress can play havoc with one's manly region (!) so some relaxation my help. it does for me. My uro told me to ejaculate regularly (2-3 times a week) to keep the prostate flushed out. (My wife still doesn't believe he said that!) Sometimes that helps a lot; at other times it can aggravate the situation. The NHS website, the Mayo Clinic and other websites have lots of useful info. If you've had bladder problems, maybe you've got a tight bladder neck. I had a bladder neck incision a year ago, but I believe younger men such as you can have the same problem. Not ideal by any means to have at your age, but it might be something to ask your doctor about in case your bladder neck is causing you your problem. Keeping a pain diary is something I'd recommend. It helps you to realise that not all days are bad, and I use it to try and spot trends and to monitor how well or not things I'm trying affect pain levels. If you want any more info on anything, PM me as members can't recommend products etc on this public forum. Best of luck in getting some help/relief. You're far from alone!

• Posted

your message helps and frightens me at the same time. thanks for the warm words i will continue to take care of myself and heed your advice. i have just been depressed about it and it has slowly ruined my life over the last few months. but the sun is startigg to shine again

• Posted

Hi Bill:

Good advice given by others. When taking antibiotics, I think it is especially important to take probiotics. The antibiotics destroy all bacteria both good and bad. You can google quite a bit of information on this. I usually stagger the time I take the probiotics with the time I take the antibiotics (minimum two hour difference). Good luck to you.

• Posted

As far as I can make out, there is no sure way to test for bacterial prostatitis so they give you a huge amount of a very strong antibiotic just in case. If there is no difference in the pain they can then presumably declare it's NON-bacterial prostatitis.

I have heard experts say that about 95% of all prostate problems are non-bacterial. Your doc may disagree and advise you to continue with this antibiotic - just in case. If you heard that many men find relief from this type of pain just by exercising, would that interest you?

Cipro has a very sinister track record of causing serious and disabling side effects which can be permanent. You can find this out easily with a quick search. The FDA in America warned about these dangers in 2016 and there are serious warnings on the packets. This applies to the whole family of Fluoroquinolone antibiotics, not just Cipro.

You are very young and my guess is reasonably fit. Many men, young and old, have had their lives ruined by this drug and I am so surprised that Ken here has managed to take Cipro and say how much better he feels. To you and Ken both, please take care and bear in mind that the toxic effects of Cipro (and the other FQs) are cumulative - some people can take many courses while others only need to take a few tablets before their body crashes. Please see the discussions on here about Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics to see what I mean.

You've been cleared of stds and your urine is negative. You would be well advised to stop taking the Cipro before it ruins your gut, your tendons and possibly your life. When you begin to feel pain in your legs or get shakes, anxiety or whatever it might well be too late. I don't want to alarm you but at the same time I don't want you to join the other victims that I know of. If your doctor is dismissive of you, find another one - or try searching for help from the pelvic pain clinic . There is also a thread on here started by Matt 7077 (I'll put a link after I've posted this) about how the exercises have helped him. Take care.

• Posted

honestly i felt 10000 Times worse when i was on doxy to the point of being suicidal. 3 doctors seperatly prescribed me cipro so i am not a medical professional and will atleast take my course of antibiotics I have no other choice until my next appointment which is in december

• Posted

Soon they will be advised not prescribe Cipro for UTI's of prosataitis.

A European Medicines Agency (EMA) committee has recommended that the use of fluoroquinolone and quinolone antibiotics should be restricted following a review of their disabling and potentially long-lasting side effects.

The Pharmacovigilance Risk Assessment Committee (PRAC) considered first-hand accounts of patients’ experiences of using the drugs, which were given at the EMA’s second ever public hearing on medicine usage in June 2018, before producing its recommendation on 5 October 2018.

The PRAC said that some medicines, including all those that contain a quinolone antibiotic, should be removed from the market. It also recommended that remaining fluoroquinolone antibiotics should not be used to treat minor infections and should be used with caution, particularly in older people, patients with kidney problems, patients who have had an organ transplant, and patients who are being treated with a systemic corticosteroid.

The EMA’s review of this class of antibiotics began in February 2017 at the request of the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices, the medical regulatory body in Germany, following reports of long-lasting side effects in its national database and published literature. Reported disabling side effects mainly involved muscles, tendons, bones and the nervous system.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.