Non-operated hip pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

i had THR on my right hip Sept. 18 and last week I noticed my left hip is hurting. I started outpatient PT last week. I don't know if that would cause it but it feels suspiciously like my right hip when it started to go. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

When they diagnosed your right hip was anything said about the left? Both mine went at the same time.  What was your activity level before therapy? 
    • Posted

Nothing was said at the time about the left. My right came on sudden. I was laid up over my right hip for five months and was on crutches the whole time.
  • Posted

Hi Mary

I am due to have my left hip replaced Dec. 6 and have been told my right hip has to be done 90 days after. Both of mine have worn out at the same time. Sounds like you're in the same shape as me. I will just be glad to be able to walk again without a walker or cane.

• Posted

Hello Mary, I had the same replacement on my left hip on September 27th due to trauma from a dog knocking me over. I had never had problems with my hips before, but now I sometimes have pain in my other hip, and I think it's due to all the extra pressure it has taken. I am sure we are walking slightly differently than before and it takes its toll on other joints, so it seems we have to take more care of those than the operated one!! I take some paracetamol or ibuprofen for it .

• Posted

Hi Mary, 

How are you doing? 

It is possible that your other hip is "going" .... 

At my 6 weeks follow up appointment for 1st (R) THR the xray showed rapid decline of left hip - almost bone on bone - I was shocked when I was told that Left hip needed to be replaced as 6 months prior x-ray showed mild decline only --- it can happen this fast -  2nd THR surgery was 6 months after 1st one -

When is your next appointment with your surgeon?   

How are you getting on otherwise?

Big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.