None of my loved ones seem to truly understand my axiety how can I help them

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a very supportive man but he just seems to kind of blow it off like it's a cold.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If a person has never had a panic attack there is no way that could imagine the terror that accompanies it. Its mocked in the media and or stigamatized. Even living with it, unless they educated themselves would not even know how to help you. Usually most get snippy or rude over time because they want to be happy themselves and its difficult if the person you are with is one huge ball of fears and negativity. Thats how i have seen this pan out. I have panic disorder and when i get sick i get messed up and all i would love is the reassurance or kindness but it seems hard for others to be constantly compassionate.a d they do not have the answers, many people with panic attacks have ailments too. My husbad was once very supportive and he is doing his best he does understand it, but gets rude at times or down right mean when i get worried, and some of the worries are real which makes it scarier. i stopped expecting him to fix me at this poing just acceot me as is, as i do for myself. I do have ailments so it is what it is. I hide it as much as i can now. I dont talk about it i know what it is. You absolutely do need therapy for this to really understand it all and yourself an d your role in it. You honestly cant expect another person to self sacrifice their lives and go down with your sinking ship and misery. I kow that sounds so harsh but it the reality. In a utopia world every time they would say ok love you know you need to breathe using your belly. And give you a neck and back maagae whilst you did breathing.which would be so helpful. Haha dont hold your breathe for that one. Woman usually are the compassionate ones, the nurturing ones. Statistics show most many men leave for their own happiness at a much higher rate then the few woman who leave. So truth is fake your happiness whenever you can and know he isnt your parent and doesnt owe you his eternity. hes your significant other and is looking for happiness too. Thas the hard truth. Sucks but it true. Some parents will be cold as well because the frustration level build uo that they can't help you. Shme on the parents who arent compassionate but they do exist.their coping mechanism migh be poor as well so how can they even instill calm ess on their kids if they arent.  And its ironic because anxiety is also passed on genetically so clearly one of your parents is familiar with it.  Bottom line is it is an internal battle. Knowledge is power so learn all you can about it and get therapy.
  • Posted

Hi Katie

Im sorry your struggling.

My tale is not a happy one my family tried to help me through my depression but I pushed them all away.

I have had depression for 16 years the anxiety only started in December.

I am now a lonely 50 years old lady who has tried hard to build bridges with her family and they are not interested.

Try hard to talk to family and friends get some therapy yourself

Dont do what I have. Life is too short

Stay Strongbiggrin

• Posted

Hi Katie, I know exactly what you mean. I seperated from my husban last year after a violent attack and have had anxiety ever since.  I'm fed up of my family saying "it will be ok" or "its alright it will go away".  I know their trying to be supportive but I dont think they actually get what I'm going through. I'm not sure how you can help them, I think at this point you should concentrate on yourself and how you can get better.  I honestly think that unless they've been through it thenselves they just dont get it. chin up. be strong. x
  • Posted

Before I developed this anxiety in the last two months I would have said that I had a good understanding of mental illness - how wrong I was!! Even though i have friends and family that have experienced depression, anxiety and even bipolar I had no idea what is really going on in your brain until I experienced it for myself.

i think that is experience will make me a more understanding and a better person, but it is a hard way to learn.  Just remember that there are so many others who have the same struggle and we are here for you and know exactly what you are going through.

may you have a better today than yesterday.

• Posted

It's really hard for someone to understand when they haven't been through it.

Speaking to others is important.

Do you have a therapist, a counsellor, or someone who can help?

• Posted

It's really a depressing situation. Try to figure out if he is going though some problems which makes him behave so cold with you. May be he is preoccupied with some issues. Try to talk it out.

Alos try to be your support system. When you depend on any one he might just increase your depression like this. Find out your means to happiness and stick to it.  May you soon come out of this phase.. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.