Norethisterone confusion

Posted , 2 users are following.

My 18 year old daughter has been prescribed Norethisterone for prolonged bleeding and pain (possibly endometriosis but not yet diagnosed). The instructions on the pack were to take for a maximum of 10 days at a time. She started them today whilst already bleeding; we are very confused as to what happens after 10 days. She has to stop taking it and presumably then will resume bleeding as this may well be caused by the mini-pill she is on (the name of which escapes me). How long does she have to wait before taking Norethisterone again? 

Any advice would be a great help. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've tried to put a link on here for you but it won't let me!? If you Google it, norethisterone instructions are on the Web somewhere. I took it for the same problem last year but I can't remember the instructions. Hope your daughter is better soon, she has my sympathy x
    • Posted

That's the point - the instructions tell you to take it for 10 days and that you are likely to have a withdrawal bleed - but they don't say what she does after the ten days i.e if she has a bleed and it continues as before, how long does she leave it before taking Norethisterone again?

To be honest I don't know why the GP has kept her on the same mini-pill that was causing the  problems in the first place because surely once she has had 10 days of (hopefully) no bleeding on Norethisterone, the problems will simply recur?

• Posted

I think I got three months supply. I started it on day 19 of my cycle for 10 days, then the same again on day 19 of my next cycle. It's supposed to top up the hormone she's low on until it's at such a level that she no longer has breakthrough bleeding. In all honesty it made me bloated and teary so I didn't continue with it. I'm back with my gyno at the end of the month to establish what is next x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.