Normal testing and still have bad gallbladder/pain?

Posted , 83 users are following.

Is it possible to have all normal testing and still have a bad gallbladder? 

Since the 1st week of sept I have been suffering from RUQ pain, nausea after meals, sometimes nausea out of the blue, pain in my right shoulder blade, fatigue, lack to no energy level, 12 lbs weight loss, pain in my right shoulder neck area, mix between constipation and diarrhea but mostly constipation and heartburn! The pain is constant and never goes away. 

All of my testing keeps coming back normal. Ultrasound of the gallbladder, Hida scan (my result was 48%), Ct Scan, celiac biopsy, h.pylori, other blood work( amylase/lipase normal), endoscopy, MRI, ct of the head, pelvic ultrasound! We have also had a 2nd opinion with a GI Dr and established with a new GP and spoke to a surgeon (we have another appt 11/12)! 

All testing keeps coming back NORMAL!!! (Which is good) 

Can all these test still come back normal and you still have a bad gallbladder? 

Has this ever happen to anyone? 

Certainly I'm not the only one this is happened too! Any help is welcomed! 

From the USA

Thanks for reading

5 likes, 151 replies

151 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Yes it is i have had my gallbladder removed for almost 2 weeks now but yes all my blood work etc came back normal you need a hidascan to actually check your gallbladder 
    • Posted

Thanks for responding! Hopefully you are recovering well and feeling better! 

I did have a hida scan done about a month ago. My result was 48%!!! 

How long did you have your symptoms for? Did your dr give you a 50/50 chance b/c all your testing was coming back normal? 

• Posted

My gallbladder wasn't functional at all but only the hidascan helped me granted i had to fight 4 different hospitals because my other test came back normal when the charity hospital finally did my surgery turned out my gallbladder was huge larger than my liver but the hospitals didnt like my insurance so they wouldn't do sh*t it took me a month and losing 40 lbs in a month upper and lower gi hidascan etc... i do have an ulcer and horrible acid reflux as well but i had to fight for my health it almost killed me really they dont like to do the surgery if they can find an alternative reason for your symptoms you have to push im still having problems after the surgery so weigh your options heavily because they don't tell you how much you go through after
    • Posted

Thankyou for the info. I'll be returning next week to see my doctor. Everything so far is negative. Is it common practice that they wouldn’t order a HIDA scan along with an ultrasound !

• Posted

Yes you can. I have been having issues with stomach and chest pain for years! All tests normal. Hida 60%. Finally did an endoscopy with an Internal ultrasound thats where they found the polyp.

• Posted

Did they remove the polip and are u feeling better now?.. I'm having so much pain on my RUQ and my HIDA test came back at 60%.. I know is the gallbladder.. I'm having an EUS on the 23rd but I want my gallbladder removed..

• Edited

Update: I had my gallbladder removed in Dec 2014. It took about 4-6 months for everything to feel better and get back to normal! To all out there please know it is possible to keep having normal results and still have gallbladder symptoms.
    • Posted

I too have been going through all of this for almost 4 years.  Ultrasound, 2 rounds of blood tests, CT scan, colonoscopy, endoscopy, and HIDA scan (89%).  Everything normal.  I'm about to take a MRI but it's getting very frustrating.  What finally prompted you to do that surgery?  Also, now that you feel better is that particular pain gone?  Thank you.  
    • Posted

Hi chris. Have you had any progress? I'm going through the same thing and it's so frustrating.

• Posted

Ibow,

I went through a month of normal tests. I had a normal ultrasound, blood work, and HIDA scan. Thank God for my amazing nurse practitioner who had her gallbladder removed and still was convinced it was my gallbladder. I was diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, but that generally doesn't cause pain and it was an accidental find. One day I went to the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack and the ER doctor said he also thought it was my gallbladder dispite negative tests. I ended up going home and making an appointment with the surgeon. I first met with my nurse practitioner before I went to the surgeon and she spoke with the surgeon and wrote the surgeon a letter as well. I saw the surgeon and he was willing to take my gallbladder out as long as I got an upper endoscopy done to rule out H. Pylori, stomach ulcers, ect. It all came back normal and my GI doctor was also convinced it was my gallbladder. My GI doctor said all my symptoms screamed gallbladder. My surgeon wanted to make sure I knew the risks of surgery and this may not fix my problem. I went in for surgery on 06/30/17 and my gallbladder had adhesions all over it and was inflammed completely. My pain is completely gone. You just need to follow your gut and have a good medical team behind you. Keep the faith and know it will get better and be persistent.

VGJCM

USA

• Posted

Hello how old r u? Because my dr said that age makes a big difference also 😕

• Posted

Hope you catch this.  12-23-2017.  I know Now there’s more to this.  Been going through same as you.  I have heard the w/in Normal Range sooo much.  I have No One who Will Help Me. I am waiting to see my 4th GI Dr.  I am sure I am going to die. Gone on way too long.  Glad you had Great Med Support.  I am not being overly Dramatic.  I have been Chronically I’ll over 25yrs.  I know when something is not Right.  I don’t know what I can do.  Just waiting for the next attack, the last one was bad. Beyond Me How Drs Just seem to want you to Suffer & Most likely the outcome be Death.

• Posted

Hello, 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I am in the exact same situation and feel like everyone thinks I’m crazy. I’ve had all of the same tests and then some all showing normal. But this pain is far from normal, did you also have excruciating back pain with your symptoms? I am 40 years old and in good health otherwise this has caught me completely off guard. I have finally (with the help of my amazing nurse practitioner) found a surgeon who says that although all of my tests show normal my symptoms + family history, all point to gallbladder. I’m curious how your recovery has been since your surgery was so recent? Any feedback is greatly appreciated as I am about to schedule my surgery, all the best to your good health!

Sarah43191

• Posted

Same problem. Severe nausea, belch, burp, dose off to sleep symptoms start. Any progress?

• Posted

I'm dealing with this now. My ultrasound came back normal. My Hida scan too at 57% and yet I'm in so much pain all the time, all symptoms of my GALLBLADDER. I had a Ct done today of my abdomen and pelvis and have an endoscopy/colonoscopy on thursday. I REALLY thought it was my GALLBLADDER and now I'm hoping something shows in these tests. I CAN BARELY eat and im in constant pain.

• Posted

please keep us posted on what happens next following the results of the test.

• Posted

Hi,

I'm having pain in my right side too. I had a hysterectomy 6 months ago. where did your adhesions come from? I'm hoping this is just a muscle strain, but if it's not a whole lot better in a week I'm going to ask for a HIDA scan. I hope it's not adhesions because you can't see them on tests. feeling defeated 😕

• Posted

I am having similar symptoms and have had normal scans & labs. I dont know what else to do but to try to find a surgeon thats willing to remove my gallbladder. I KNOW thats what it is. I was wondering if you could give me the info for your surgeon in order to get a consult with him.

• Posted

Is your pain gone? I'm having so much pain on my RUQ and I know is the gallbladder but my HIDA cameback at 60%. I hope my GI listens to me..I'm having an EUS on the 23rd..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.