Normal thyroid results for almost 9 years

Posted , 12 users are following.

For those of you who are new to a hyperthyroid diagnosis of Graves disease,  I want to give you all some hope.   Here are my latest thyroid test results which are all normal and have been for almost 9 years now.

Range for Normal

TSH                               0.87        (0.35 TO 4.94)

FT3                                3.8          (2.6 TO 5.7)

FT4                                13           (9 – 19)

Alkaline phosphatase     63           (40 – 150)

ALT                                 11           (7 to 40)

They are all in the normal range while I am on a very low dose of Methimazole and supplements.  Thank God I found the research on carnitines & other supplements & thyroid.  I have kept my lab tests within the normal range since 2009 (almost 9 years now).  It does require good follow up and lab tests and adjustments occasionally in drug or supplement dose but I feel normal and I am glad I chose this method of treatment.  It also helps that I have a wonderful doc.  It wasn't always that way but we learned from each other and I feel we have a good doctor-patient partnership now.  I see him twice a  year now unless I run into difficulties, in which case I can call for a sooner appointment.

4 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Congratulations Linda! I'm so happy for you and thankful for your hopeful message to all of us. 

hugs

Jaye xo

• Posted

Thank you for sharing Your long journey with us Linda!

Would you mind telling about your antibodies and how they figured in all this?

Thanks again!

• Posted

I had Graves antibodies at the time of diagnosis.  My TSH was at less than 0.001 for two years until I did my research and took other steps.  My last antibody check showed my antibodies were non-detectable.  This happened as my TSH especially came into the normal range.  However, I do not feel I want to stop the low dose of Methimazole I am on,  as I am in a very stressful job and anything could trigger a relapse.  
  • Posted

There is hope for us all. It goes to prove that RAI and thyroid removal isn't always the answer. Not sure what cartinites are though🤔

• Posted

Carnitine is an amino acid that is normally found in the body.  Hyperthyroid patients lose a lot of vitamins, minerals and amino acids when they are running hyper and a lot of patients run hyper for some time before they seek medical treatment.  So you can be tested for these deficiencies and if deficient, start taking replacements in the form of supplements.
  • Posted

Hi Linda, Great to hear your positive story. Can you let us know what your dose of Methimazole is? I'm doing something similar to you - I'm currently taking 1.25gm of Carbimazole every other day, along with Magnesium, Vit D and Selenium. I too have been 'stable using this method, but only for about 12 months. I tweak the dose according to how I feel ...which at the moment is fine smile

• Posted

I currently take 2.5 mg 3 or 4 times a week.  On the days I take it I also take 500 mg of Acetyl-L-Carnitine and on the days I am off Methimazole I take 500 mg of Regular L-Carnitine along with 1,000 IU vitamin D, 200 mg of Magnesium.  I took a lot higher doses of the carnitines initially to get my TSH up.  If my TSH rises too high now, I cut the Acetyl and continue with the rest of the program.
    • Posted

Congratulations Ann!  Sounds like you are an empowered patient and you listen to your body!
  • Posted

Congratulations Linda ,I was diagnosed 2008 Graves' disease ! My thyroid levels was very high ! After 8 years still high!  poorly treated  high dose antithyroid medication almost 8 years ( 300 mg PTU ) private doctor said : propylthiouracil if used for a long time can cause inflammation of blood vessels called vasculitis this can affect all the organs ! NHS doctors didn't say anything ! My TSH was 1.5 but  doctors didn't reduce my antithyroid medication I believe I was overmedicated ....

• Posted

Hello Tekin

I have been so confused about the TSH number.!  I was diagnosed 3 months ago with Graves, a “mild to moderate case, although I have antibodies for both Graves and Hashi, but my endo wanted my TSH to be 4, “a good level”.  I Took l-carnitine 2000 mg for a month and my TSH shot to 3.6.  Now I feel hypo but the endo doesn’t want to take me off Methimazole, currently on 5 mg. Reading on this site the ideal level seems to be around 1.  The TSH number.  At first I thought maybe Graves levels were different?!  

• Posted

TSH is a pituitary hormone ,not a thyroid hormone it does not tell you your actual thyroid hormone levels you need free t3 and free t4 to check this hyperthyroidsm leads to an increase in the body's metabolism causing nervousness and irritability ,sweating ,heat intolerance ,thirst ,tremor ,palpitations and sometimes looseness of the bowels and weak muscles .it causes a rapid pulse ,warm ,moist hands and weight loss ,despite an increased appetite .if you dont mind could you tell me your thyroid levels please...thanks ..

• Posted

I had those symptoms when diagnosed in July.  Before that I had what I now think was low thyroid symptoms. 

Last tests I had on 0ct 5 were:

Feel sluggish and achey

TSH: 3:66  (0.34-5.60)

Free T4: 0.6. (0.6-1.6)

Free T3: 3.2 (2.8-4.4)

August 28:  felt pretty good

TSH: 0.02 

Free T4: 1.0

Free T3: 4.0

Antibodies:

August: TSI: 267

TPO: 16.2

October:

TPO:  26.5

• Posted

Hi Martha, IMO, you can/should cut MM to 2.5mg and feel a lot better then. Just my 2c.
    • Posted

I would agree with you. From what you said, I think you were overmedicated also.
    • Posted

im not a doctor but your thyroid levels ok ....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.