Not a question - a warning!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Mirtazapine has destroyed my life.

Complete adhenioa and apathy after it pooped-out.

Suffering with akathasia while trying to come off, along with many other withdrawel effects.

Wish I had done cbt....none of this would have happened.

Give me my old anxiety back anyday. Ruined me and my family.

3 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I gather that adhenioameans not wanting to do anything.
    • Posted

More than that. I am unable to feel any emotion what so ever. I lie on the couch all day because I cannot do anything. Cannot care for my kids or go out. A shadow of the person I was before. Tragic. 

Been told that it could be a few years when off it - if at all. Because when an antidepressant poops-out your buggered basically. Your own seretonin cannot be releases because its been down regulated for so long.

i feel brain damaged. 

Unless you are suicidley depressed - use with caution.

i never had suicidal tendencies before this drug.

• Posted

The word is "anhedonia," meaning a lack of enjoyment or feeling.
    • Posted

Yes - that's the one, along with apathy.

i did suffer adhenioa while on the drug, but it is so deep now.

cant bare to go out and look at normal people because I just can't relate to them. It's awful.

• Posted

I keep spelling it wrong! Doh!

Its common in withdrawel and poop-out as we are not able to produce our own seretonin as it has been down regulated by the drug. 

• Posted

Sorry about correcting your spelling, Sarah! smile I am an editor and journalist by training, so it's hard for me to let that stuff go! Anyway, I really hope you find a way to start feeling better. Are you still able to access CBT? I have been in a CBT group, but I think it's way more effective on a one-to-one basis. Unfortunately, I can't afford that.
    • Posted

sarah78504 Iam 60 years old.  Prescribed prozac in my early twenties.  had gone to to doctor because l seem to have trouble with life in general.  he put me on prozac 60 mg.  did not have as much trouble with original problem but with prozac it  seemed to help me  but realized it just kind of numbed me  and i had no desire or drive in life. at some point i realized that i needeed to reduce and hoped to get off prozac.  talked with doctor told him i was decreasig meeicine.  oh boy i started to  have buzzing noise  and funny feelihg in my mouth and face.  i am down to 20 mg and and tried to not take this amount but i have the buzzing and mouth problem.  i would tell anyone  that will start prozac in the future to really think about getting on this drug.  it seems to me this drug is very addictive to try to come ooff which i think they have a warning about now but not when i started it .  they call it something like serotonin syndrome .  i would advise anyone in the future considering prozac to think twice about it.

• Posted

Sorry you've had a bad experience but mirtazapine helps many people. It is like any medication...one thing works for one but not another. I would be warey about insisting to everyone that mirtazapine should be something for people to beware of. It's very posts like these that do not help anxiety sufferers take the leap to try medication. CBT is good, but sometimes you do need medication alongside to give that boost. Hope you find something to relieve you of your symptoms
    • Posted

Not everyone will react like this, but I am on a forum with a lot of people who are suffering from anti-depressants. Either on them or coming off them. All of these people have stuff that is much worse than their original condition.

Use with caution and when coming off, do it slowly.

• Posted

What is the forum you are on? Can you tell me the web address so I can participate?
    • Posted

I am on a forum for withdrawel. I don't think it would be good for you to go on unless you're in withdrawel. 
    • Posted

Im going through withdrawal, 4 months and it is getting worse, andy chat lines seem to hlep.

• Posted

Sarah please talk this through with a reliable professional. Why has it failed and how you can make a new start? 
  • Posted

Don't know your big words. CBT never helped me sleep. Mirt does. No ill effects unless this crushing lethargy is one, (or thyroid!) what dose are you on and for how long?
    • Posted

A side-effect for me is the amount of sleep it gives me. True I can't now sleep without it. Combined with Quetiepin it is difficult to function in the morning (I take it at night).
    • Posted

SSRI Anti Depressants can be a contributory factor in thyroid function. 
    • Posted

Is Mirtazapine an SSRI antidepressant? How does it affect thyroid function.

Sarah's description of how she feels is similar to me.

• Posted

It is not an SSRI -- I think it's technically called a Quatracyclic or something like that. Not sure what the difference is. Maybe you can Google it?
    • Posted

It's not an ssri. Works a bit different. 

How long have you been on it?

• Posted

Hi Nick. I sleep better on M than I have ever done, but never feel sleepy in the daytime even if I am very weary. I'm worried that if I come off it my sleep will deteriorate. Doyou sleep in the daytime too?
    • Posted

It is difficult to say as I am also on quetiepin but yesterday dosed on and off to 5pm. I don't have a job to get to but if I did I don't know what I would do.

Last night I took both and yet I didn't sleep. I cut the 30mg of mirt in half and I suspect that the active ingredient is not equally distributed through the tablet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.